Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Doula...worth it or not?

For those of you that have had a doula I would like some feedback on this.  DH and I go back and forth.  I am hoping to have a natural birth, DH and I have been taking Bradley classes and our last class is next week.  I was feeling pretty good but still slightly nervous about making it through the birthing process with just the two of us.  THEN...I got a massage and the woman happened to be a midwife assistant/doula and talked through the ENTIRE massage.  I am totally freaked out now that I will not know when to tell the Dr's no, or I need more time or.....

There is a doula program in town that I have recently been accepted to.  It is still 400.00 but that is better than 750.00.  So what I want to know, for those of you that had a doula.  Was it worth it?  Thoughts, advice etc?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014

Re: Doula...worth it or not?

• Options
    You might check with the natural birth board. I know a lot of them have had experience with doulas. Their advice was invaluable to me. Good luck.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Options
    In a hospital setting I'd def hire a doula :). And there are lots of great stats for doula assisted birth ( shorter labor, less pain,etc)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really wanted one, but couldn't find one we could afford. Now, I'm glad we didn't worry about it seeing as my labor was roughly 3 1/2 hours. Lol!

If you're at all worried, I'd go with a doula. They can be the difference between a medicated birth and a natural birth, because of their training in natural pain relief. Good luck!
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    I paid 500 for our souls, she was worth it. I ended up stalling at 7 cm for four hours and got epi and pitocin but she was awesome the entire time. She helped me labor in different positions to get the baby moving, she spent most of my labor with her fist in my back which sounds weird but without the counter pressure the contractions were unbearable. DH still played a huge role, it wasn't like she took over. It was like they has separate jobs. My nurses and doctor were really supportive of natural birth. My head nurse kept saying "now what does that do? That's so cool, I just love you!" So its not like I had evil doctors for the doula to help me with but she was awesome to have there for pain management and support.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"