Working Moms
Options

Working mom and baby solids schedule

I just started my son who's 19 weeks on solids last Saturday. He's taking to it really well, so I want to give it to him 2x a day. I'm just curious if others who work full-time and put their babies in daycare let the daycare (or other provider) do all meals, or if you do the dinner feeding yourself. I typically don't get home until 6:30 and the baby goes to sleep by 8pm. Selfishly, I'd like to give him the solids feeding, but think he may need to eat at 5:30. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Re: Working mom and baby solids schedule

• Options
    We started solids at 6 months and dc gives ds lunch. Our pedi recommends a second meal at 7 months, which we just started in the evening around 5:30. They also recommend not starting a 3rd meal til 8 months so well have dc give breakfast when we get to that point.  Their systems are learning to handle solids so there's no need to hurry it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks.  My pedi actually recommended to start twice a day, but I waited a week to see how he'd take to it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our DS eats breakfast and lunch (solids) at DC. At night he eats supper with us.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD eats solid breakfast and lunch at daycare. I try to give her dinner at home but sometimes she is not in the mood. She is my second so the novelty has worn off and I am fine with someone else doing the meals. In addition, when we started she took solids better from people other than me because she prefers to nurse.
  • Options
    DD is almost 7 months, and we started solids at 6 months.  Honestly it hasn't been going well, but it turned out that DD isn't interested in eating in the evening.  She's much more interested during the day.  Last week I started sending purees, which she's apparently eating well at daycare.  And next week we're going to start breakfast at home.  We'll wait awhile before trying dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When we did solids, I wanted to do it all, so I fed DS at night. He would nurse at 5:30pm, then solids around 7pm, then nurse again around 8-8:30pm.

I went through all the fruits and veggies. By the time we got through them all in the evenings only, it was time to introduce a second meal, so we had daycare start giving him breakfast. Then eventually his schedule looked like this- nurse at 6:15am, solids at 8am, bottle at 10am, solids at 12pm, bottle at 2pm, nurse at 5:30pm, solids at 7pm, nurse at 8:30pm (then once over night).

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Food before one is just for fun. :) don't stress if you can't fit in dinner after work for a little while or consistently! 
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Solids are fun at first but the magic wears off pretty quickly IMO Wink So time-consuming to prepare and serve... I'm happy to let DC do it on weekdays.

My DC usually does a mid-morning and mid-afternoon feeding. Sometimes if they miss a meal or if my milk supply is down I'll feed him "dinner" around 7. Keep in mind he's still primarily subsisting off milk so it's not like he's going to really notice a moved mealtime. Actually my little guy got mega-constipated over Xmas and I just dropped solids the whole long weekend until his system reset. It's all good at this point.

We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used to have daycare do more solids so I didn't have to pump as much at work. I let my daycare feed oatmeal in the morning and a puree later in the day. I did all the cool intro of real food at dinner, though. I didn't trust my MIL enough to do anything resembling BLW.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dc does breakfast and lunch so we do dinner. Sometimes she naps through it or doesn't want anything so I play it by ear. She just started eating school food this past week. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"