High-Risk Pregnancy

insulin correction doses

I was just changed from Glyburide ot injecting insulin today and Im confused.  Im supposed to take 10 before dinner, but then if need to take a "correction dose"...but when do I check???  I would normally check my BS two hours after eating, which I would still do, would I give myself the correction dose if needed then or check right after Im done eating dinner????

Help

Re: insulin correction doses

• You usually take a "correction dose" or sliding scale in addition to your scheduled meal insulin. So in theory if you needed 10 units scheduled plus X units for correction you would add those together (10+X= insulin dose) and give that dose at the same time before your meal.

If you still aren't sure then I would not give any correction insulin tonight and call your provider in the AM. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I was told to wait until an hour after eating to check my sugar. If it is over 150, I take 3-4 units. Then wait another hour to check again. He said that after I do this for a couple meals, I will better know how much of a correction dose I will need.  4 units does really well for getting me back in range.

I thought you meant if you had to take a little extra after you ate because the before dose was not enough or you had a few extra carbs.

SK
  • Loading the player...
  • See I'm thinking opposite of the pp where to me a correction dose would be given if after 2 hours your 10u isn't enough to have you in normal range. 

I do agree to just not do it and call the doc in the morning. You don't want to give too much and bottom out :( better safe than sorry as hypoglycemia is way more dangerous than hyperglycemia! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think you should discuss it with your Dr. I think different Dr.' S approach the correction dose differently. My doctor didn't allow a correction till I was 30 weeks, after the 30 weeks I'm allowed an extra 1-2units if I know I'm going to have a little extra carb or a food that I think might spike my numbers. 
  • imagesstaton1:

I was told to wait until an hour after eating to check my sugar. If it is over 150, I take 3-4 units. Then wait another hour to check again. He said that after I do this for a couple meals, I will better know how much of a correction dose I will need.  4 units does really well for getting me back in range.

I thought you meant if you had to take a little extra after you ate because the before dose was not enough or you had a few extra carbs.

Wow, I'm surprised your doc does this. It's called insulin stacking and it can be really dangerous and lead to low blood sugars... 

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"