May 2012 Moms
Options

Thudguard

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Thudguard? Or any other product that helps with LO bumping their head.
My LO is 7 months and pulling herself up as well as letting go once up. We have ceramic tile and I have blankets down and some of those play mats but she still bumps her head from time to time. It sounds awful! She cries and I feel so bad. I also worry about concussions.
Any advice? Am I just being over protective ?
Thank you

Re: Thudguard

• Options

DS bumps his head often as he's started pulling himself up a lot too, and sometimes if he's sitting up he'll be so excited to see something that he'll knock himself over and not be able to catch himself and regain his balance. I try not to overreact to every little bump (it is hard not to) because I know most of the time he's perfectly fine and he cries not so much because he hurt himself but because it scared him. Obviously, as a parent you still feel terrible, but if you react to every little bump and bruise as if it's the end of the world, they will pick up on that and get more upset. If he starts whining we'll smile at him and tell him, "You're ok!" and he will stop and be perfectly happy again. Of course there are times when he will cry because it actually did hurt, and in that case we'll pick him up and kiss him and soothe him.

We have ceramic tile as well in parts of our house and are actually considering having it replaced with hardwood flooring because when we moved in that was one of my biggest concerns with the tile. While hardwood is, well, hard as well, ceramic tile is much harder and I feel like we have a future of bloody baby lips and broken teeth if we keep it. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    Make sure corners and edges are protected, and you should be fine. The skull is hard for a reason. Think about it logically. They are only impacting from about a foot away, maybe two. There is not physically enough time/distance for the head to accelerate to any significant impact speed. Force = mass * acceleration.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both for giving me a little perspective. I think we'll skip the Thudguard and just take regular child proofing precautions.
    :
  • Options
    We have a sawing in this house "brush it off" my oldest walked at ten months ran at 11 and climbed about the same time. He always bumped thumped or hit something. If I reacted or felt bad over every bump it wouldn't have been good for anyone. Now with three boys it's said a lot. Kids will hit their heads and other things a lot the more you react the more they will too. My lo doesn't hardly fuss when he falls over any more and if he does I know it hurt so then I comfort him.

Don't worry
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"