High-Risk Pregnancy

Another question for GD about food choices

I read that you can't had fruit juice and then read you could, which is true?

Second if you have a toddler do you make a separate meal for yourself and make something different for everyone else?  

Is Pinapple safe to eat for fruit?

I'm trying to figure out what I can eat, I'm a bit picky to begin with. I found a chicken salad recipe online and trying to pair it with a side I was going to do a salad, with strawberries in it. I'm thinking I need something more but what? 

Re: Another question for GD about food choices

• In my GD class we were told that fruit juice was off limits.  I do not make separate meals.  We are all eating the same foods, I just limit my carbs and pile on the veggies.  I have eaten pineapple without issue, but everyone's body responds differently.  In the beginning, I really went by the menu setup by my dietician as far as the amount of food.  Now, I experiment a bit more but always stay at or under my max carb allowance.

• I know it feels backwards from everything you've ever been taught about nutrition, but fruit juice is pretty much pure fructose (sugar) if you're going to indulge (and lucky you, becasue I can't eat any fruit at all with out a spike) you should eat whole fruits, and berries are usually best. Google "fruit glycemic load" and you'll get a good list of whats best. my husband is doing the diet with me, and hes lost about 15 lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Fruit juice is a no-no.  It's all sugar.  

My sister is type 1 and has been SUCH a huge help since I've been diagnosed.  Here's a website that she swears by and I use all the time:

www.carb-counter.org

It tells you tons of food options, gives different serving sizes and the carb counts for each.  It breaks it up to the different ways it can be served, which is awesome.  For example, a cup of diced raw pineapple is about 19.5 carbs.  If you eat it canned it jumps up depending on if it's packed in water or juice.

I have that website on my phone, so if we're out for a meal I can look something up and figure out my meal.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My dietician said it was fine to drink juice but it needs to be an actual serving which is 4oz or 1/2 cup. And that counts as 15g of carbs. Not worth is in my book. I guess if I was really craving it I'd let it be my snack one day... As for the pineapple, I was told any fruit is fine 1 cup is a serving (15g). So I usually do 1/2c of fruit with the rest of my carb serving in yogurt. If the chicken salad and the side salad fills you up then I don't see a problem with it as long as you're under your carbs. Remember, just b/c you're allowed up to X amount of carbs per meal doesn't mean you have to use them all...

You'll also find out very quickly what makes you spike if you right down what you ate along with your #s. I found that absolutely no fruit in the morning and no milk even if that's my only carb with the meal. I just can't tolerate it :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"