C-sections

Pre-Admission did not go well...

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Pre-Admission did not go well...

• That is funny b/c I left my maternity tour the same way on Tuesday night after some crazed RN spouted off a bunch of incorrect things and then showed us a room that smelled like pee.  I was amazed that they chose this women to do the tour b/c she clearly didn't know what she was talking about and she was really weird.

Sorry you had a yucky experience.  Good luck on Tuesday!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry you had such a crappy pre-admission appointment! I'm a FTM too and had a c-section, so I totally understand the nerves. I was only in recovery for a few hours, basically until I could bend my knees and wiggle my toes. I'm not sure why she told you to bring your breast pump though...

I was reunited with baby almost immediately. She was 39 weeks and spent about an hour in NICU, but was back with me right after that. We breast fed almost as soon as we were reunited, and she fed almost like clockwork every few hours without us even needing to wake her.

I'm not sure about the catheter thing. I had mine put in after the spinal, which just seems to make sense to me! I don't know why they would do it before, but you could always double check with your doctor.

Try not to let what she said bother you. It sounds like she has horrible bedside manner. My c-section was a great experience for me, and hopefully will be a great experience for you too! Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry to hear how they treated you.  While I can't speak for your hospital, I can say that my C-section wasn't near that bad.  It was unplanned, but afterwards I was on my own (with nurses coming and going) for almost an hour while DH was in the nursery with DD as she was getting cleaned up.  They DID let family back when I was ready for them, but checked with me before letting them back.  DH and DD came in and we were in the recovery room for another hour or so before being moved to my actual room. 

As for having to wear the bracelet, I've never heard of such a thing! I did my pre-admission and paperwork, but that was about it.  I did have blood taken about a week before I went in, and more blood drawn after I was actually admitted the morning of, but I would assume that's pretty standard procedure. 

People in admissions always seem a bit crazy to me to begin with, I dealt with quite a few of them last go round, and somehow every time I was admitted the insurance somehow ended up being given information stating that my husband was the one that was pregnant.  Needless to say those were fun phone calls to make.  

Good luck to you!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry you appointment was so strange.  Sounds like she was a bit crazy.  Pretty sure they usually cath right after the spinal.  I was in recovery for about 1- 1.5 hours.  Not too long though and I was the only one in there.  It was 12am though so that may have had something to do with it.  As for bringing your pump, my hospital had a pump in my room and they had me pumping pretty much from the next morning till we left.  I think it was to help with my milk coming in.  DS was 3.5 weeks early and didn't have a NICU stay but they still recommended I pump as well as have him latch.  My milk came in the night we were discharged.

Good luck with your c-section!!  Mine was unplanned but I was happy with my experience and recovery.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think your lady was crazy!  I've never had someone tell me those things.  I think I would be calling and speaking to her supervisor!  

I've always had my catheter after my epi was put in, I will be asking the anesthesiologist about this this time around since I'm getting a spinal, I do NOT want the cath before hand.   

I don't know how the hospital policy works at your hospital, that would be a L&D nurse question (which you can call and ask the charge nurse on duty).  I know with my first 2 I carried baby out of the OR to recovery, and YES, I was with a bunch of other people in recovery with the curtains between you, but I think that is pretty standard.  I was allowed to have visitors as soon as I FELT like it.  They did take baby to the nursery for about an hour but hubby was allowed to follow.

This time, baby does bedside check ins.  I'm not sure how long it will be this time until I'm allowed to have visitors, but it won't be until she breastfeeds.   Again when we did our L&D tour they showed us where the c/s were done and again I will be seperated by curtains.  But I was only in recovery a few hours until I could bend my legs or wiggle my toes like another poster said.  That was with my epi, so I'm not sure how a spinal works.  

I always go in the day before surgery and have my bloodwork done and that's when I meet with the anesthesiologist and when I do my pre-admitting paperwork.   The bloodwork has to be done within 24 hours of your surgery and that's when I get my admission bracelet.  

I think you just got a crazy lady who needs a vacation or another job besides admitting people to a major surgery!  UH!  

GL on your c/s you'll be JUST FINE!!! 

I think you just had a crazy check in person.   

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • Sorry you had a rough time with pre asmission.  Iwork in a laboratory at a hospital and have had a c section previously.  The thing with the blood work is when you have a c section we draw blood to find out your blood type.  We can only give a blood transfusion up to 72 hours after the blood was drawn.  EX:  Blood drawn on 12/14/12 at 2pm will expire at 12/17/12 at 2pm.  That is why they will redo the bloodwork to get a new blood type even though it doesn't change. Also they will draw blood for a platelet count.  Your plaetlet count determine if you can get a epidural.  If you have no platelets then that is bad you will lose to much blood.  All these test are done on any pregnant women at the time they are admitted for delivery.  The braclet you are given matches you to the tubes of blood drawn this is why they tell you to leave it on until you comeback and they will replace it with a new one.

Also the hospital will provide a breat pump if you need it, most moms are able to breastfeed in the recovery room.  If you are given Magnesium(for HBP) or some other type of medicine that can be harmful for baby then they will have you pump and dump 

Also the catheter .is usually placed after epidular. 

I hope this clarifies some things a little better.  Good luck.

• A lot of what others said, just kind of forget everything about her.  She doesn't work in L&D so IMO she has no room to talk.  Working in a hospital doesn't make her knowledgeable about what goes on there.  I didn't go to a "recovery" room after my c/s (all of the rooms at the hospital I delivered at are LDRP's so immediately after a c/s you're wheeled back to your room), but my s-mom did when she had my little brother years ago, she had the baby with her the entire time. 

The hospital will have a BF if you need one or choose to use one.

I've had a catheter 3 times, once I was not numb for it, it wasn't painful, just a whole lot of pressure (I assume since the urethra isn't used to things going inside of it but I really don't know).

Please try not to worry about your c/s, I know it's scary (terrified me beyond belief), but it really wasn't any worse than my easy vaginal c/s.  Both have their pros and cons, but I wouldn't say one was easier/harder, even my c/s recovery was pretty easy.  Honestly, worst part of the c/s for me, I had to spend 4 LONG days in the hospital when all I wanted to do was go home with my babies.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Sorry she stressed you out! They have breast pumps at the hospital (I would be shocked if they didn't) that you can use. She sounds like a total nutter. Good luck on Tuesday!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I actually would bring a breast pump--I needed to borrow the hospitals to get my milk going & then they helped me rig up some very thin tubing so I could breast feed (which would also stim my milk but DD had a HORRIBLE latch that no one could get her to correct--and trust me I saw every LC there was) but she could get the pumped stuff/more nutrients.  All the other stuff was horrible.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Honestly, I am not sure what she said that was so horrible. Some of it was kinda stupid, but nothing to be upset about. Just chalk it up to her being an idiot.

You will only be in the recovery room until you can wiggle your toes from the spinal (for me, with DD, that was about an hour). At that point, they should take you to your regular room. You can also request that the baby be brought to you while you are in the recovery room, especially if you are planning to BF.

If you are really sharing the recovery room with other people, then they probably won't let you have visitors for the other patients' sake, but in most big hospitals, the L&D surgical area will have its own recovery room, so if there is anyone else at all with you, it will be other new moms. For me, I was the only one in there, and my DH was able to come in.

You probably don't need to bring your pump to the recovery room, but you might want to bring it to the hospital for your use later. The pump is helpful for getting your flow going, etc., even if you have access to the baby. No big deal. Also, the hospital will probably have one you can borrow. Keep in mind too that you will probably not be allowed to be alone with your baby until you are able to get out of bed on your own (for the baby's own safety), which might be a day or two. So having the pump during that time could be useful.

Catheters do not generally hurt for women -- in fact, some women self-cath easily. However, just ask them to put it in after the spinal. That's what they did with DD, and that's what this doc (totally diff doc and hospital) are going to do for my RCS. No reason not to.

Bracelet -- who cares?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i'm really sorry your admission went so crappy BUT....

she's kinda right - i went into recovery for almost an hour after and it was in a room with random surgical people. i was also alone with NO visitors allowed. 

then my milk came in really quickly (which is a good thing) but i was so engorged that it was so painful to feed DS1. i wish i had my pump there to release some pressure!!

i wouldn't say the catheter hurt - i had mine after my epi but i loved having it! i was so thirsty so it was so nice to be able to drink so much water and not worry about having to get up to pee! haha 

it sounds like she was kind of harsh about the whole thing though and tried to scare you...most of those people working in admissions are horrible!

we had a similar stupid experience in the ER a few weeks ago for DH...it's like if you hate your life and your job so much why are you in healthcare?!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"