September 2011 Moms
Options

How do you...

How do you get your LO to talk?

I was telling my dog she was a bad girl and pointed at her naughty face and noticed Bowen watching me! So I said "Bo, say bad" and out of nowhere he said bad and pointed with perfect diction! I was blown away!

If only all of this time I would have been saying "Bo, say mama or mommy"! Still waiting! I take that back! I have been saying this! Just today it was an actual reciprocal conversation where I make a request... And voila Bo spoke!

Normally I just explain to him what I am doing or what he is doing and point out the obvious object. I read babies will speak about what interests them so I figured anta and lights were his thing! Now, I know he understand "say ___" I am really going to work on vocab.

What is your method?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: How do you...

• Options
    We use a combo of baby signs and words to communicate.  C is pretty good but sometimes has little conversations that we only wish we could understand.  He signs more, milk, dog, hurt...which worked wonders when he had an ear infection, cracker, cereal and says ap (apple), ha-ha (ham), dow (down), done, da-deee (daddy), mama, is (this...as he points at everything), bee-bee (when Shelby our dog walks by), um-um (Autumn), eat (Ethan), bah (ball), ba (bath) and came to me this morning and said buh (which I assume was the book he threw at me).  Just talking up a storm.  We aren't really doing anything special other than talk to him and label things that he points at.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We do a lot of talking to him about what we're doing, and try to work in the "Jason, say ___".  Example - he'll bring me a book saying "kak kak" (quack quack) or "buh buh" (bubble).  I'll say, oh, want to read your book?  Say "book!"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With both my kids I have just chattered to them non-stop about life and ask them lots of questions, giving them space for an answer ... Even when they were non-verbal to teach them conversation flow.  Generally I have found that asking them to say something doesn't work well with my two.

That said, Kai pretty much just babbled until almost 2, completely uninterested in communicating with us through words we understood.  Halle, on the other hand, doesn't talk a lot, but when she does it is clear and understandable.  She has 50+ words right now.

Long story short,  my kids talked about what they wanted to when they wanted to.  What I did mattered very little :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"