High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Tips for newly diagnosed GD mamas

What is your top tip for someone newly diagnosed with GD?

Re: Tips for newly diagnosed GD mamas

• Options

Roll with it.  Do the best you can with diet, but don't blame yourself or get worked up if you need meds.  You might not be able to control it.  After you know a few "go to" meals that work, start experimenting.  I was shocked that my numbers were great after a Greek salad and a slice of pizza the other day.  Always pair a protein with a carb :) 

• Options

I'd say avoid white flour and white sugar.  Try to avoid wheat but if you need to eat bread, make sure it's multigrain.  

Corn also drives my numbers crazy.  Well, corn in its most basic form is usually ok but anything with corn syrup is terrible for most people's blood sugar.

Eat a lot of almonds and cinnamon, those are supposed to be good for keeping your numbers at level.

For some people milk can make their numbers crazy so if you are a milk drinker, try to limit it and see how you do, you may be able to increase it.

Take a look at the glycemic index and try to eat carbs from that list that have a low glycemic index.  That way you are getting your carbs in (you don't want to not eat enough carbs) but they will be the kind that aren't likely to make your numbers shoot up.

Good luck to you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Some testing advice from My FIL (He is type one diabetic) he says almost all meters have a 10 point spread. It also matters if you stick yourself,  wipe off the first drop and squeeze out a second one, how much you "well up" (meaning that if you have to really squeeze out a drop you should poke again, because you're not getting the best blood for testing) and if your hands are clean and dry and if there is no sugar in your hand soap. try and use at least the same hand for tests since this cuts down on variables. Get on some of the low carb diabetic recipe blogs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"