Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Teething

My 9 month old son has been waking in the night or getting up really early and refusing to go back to sleep. He has definitely been teething, and his third tooth popped up about a week ago.  In the past I would try to rock him back to sleep and comfort him or give him Advil if he repeatedly awoke in pain.  I am just starting to wonder if he's still teething or if he is just back in a habit of wanting us to soothe him back to sleep??? Did anyone else have to do the cry it out method again after waking in the night from teething??Agghhh...

Re: Teething

• If you don't mind, I'm going to tag on another question to your post because we're in the same boat and I'm wondering if DS's recent bad nights are partially due to teething.  Here's my question to the ladies who can offer any words of wisdom - if it's teething, would picking LO up and rocking him make the teething pain feel better?  To me, if he calms down instantly after I pick him up (and then cries again as soon as we put him down), that doesn't say teething. It says sleep regression/separation anxiety; whereas, if it was teething, wouldn't it take a pacifier or something else to suck/chew on to sooth that pain (which DS won't take when he's really upset in the middle of the night) even if you still picked him up?  

Thanks, OP, for asking this question and TIA for any insights!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekbruington:
    imageaeh72:

If you don't mind, I'm going to tag on another question to your post because we're in the same boat and I'm wondering if DS's recent bad nights are partially due to teething.  Here's my question to the ladies who can offer any words of wisdom - if it's teething, would picking LO up and rocking him make the teething pain feel better?  To me, if he calms down instantly after I pick him up (and then cries again as soon as we put him down), that doesn't say teething. It says sleep regression/separation anxiety; whereas, if it was teething, wouldn't it take a pacifier or something else to suck/chew on to sooth that pain (which DS won't take when he's really upset in the middle of the night) even if you still picked him up?  

Thanks, OP, for asking this question and TIA for any insights!

I know they say teething is worse at night but if my LO has been great all day and then starts screaming at bed time then I know something else is up. If he's fine in my arms but not when I lay him down then I doubt it's teething.

I know they go through seperation anxiety and periods where they would like some extra attention but unfortunately that isn't always possible and I can't stay up all night holding my LO in the rocking chair so that's when a little tough love is in order (in my opinion). My LO usually goes to bed no problem but once in a while he does this whole screaming, not wanting to be put in his crib, freak out behavior and  that's when I give him a kiss and leave him in his crib. Luckily it only lasts about 10 minutes.

Thanks! This is what I've been thinking about the night crying but wasn't sure if I was clueless that it could be teething.  I agree with the tough love. I hate that DS is so upset but the more we pick him up the more it just prolongs the inevitable crying that will start again when we put him down.  I guess the "tough" part of tough love is not just for him. It sure is tough on moms & dads too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"