December 2010 Moms

memorized a book?

I noticed today that Aiden has sort of memorized a book.  He has that Karen Katz book - What Does Baby Say.  He's had it since he was a newborn and we have read it about a billion times.  But today he asked me to read it, and every page when I would say "What does baby say?" and turned the flap thing, he would tell me - but say (for the most part) what the line was.  The only one he didn't do was when the baby was hungry he pointed to the bottle and said "cup" - probably because he hasn't said ba ba in a year. 

Anyone else's toddler doing this???  It seems so early to have memorized a book that it seems almost strange!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: memorized a book?

• DD does it a lot actually. I love it and shes so proud of herself. My fav is a book called " I can do it myself." On the last page I read, " hey, look at me...." and she shouts, " I can do it myself!"

So cute.1_e
  • I don't know about an entire book but I tend to leave off words at the end of sentences to see if C can fill in the blanks. Most of the time she's got it.  It's just a fun thing to do! :) 
    photo 82cd8793-783f-431f-96f0-fcca1084a640_zpsc15e5cb6.jpgimage"Daisypath"> Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

photo d5624905-a6b6-418f-b278-83e809b23a24_zpsd0363f36.jpgBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, you guys with advanced talkers amaze me! I'm just excited if I can get DS to point to something in the book when I name it.
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageGrayGhost13:
    Wow, you guys with advanced talkers amaze me! I'm just excited if I can get DS to point to something in the book when I name it.

I don't think Aiden is an advanced talker at all.   He really just had a huge verbal explosion and started saying all of these things.  It's insane!  The pedi told us this might happen around now.  

• Charlie has pieces of one or two books memorized, but he mostly wants us to read them anyway. They are little sponges at this point and will memorize a lot of things. C has his alphabet almost down pat thanks to a few books and an alphabet toy.

Its amazing when they start learning so much!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• E has a few of his favorites memorized. He loves the very busy spider and brown bear, brown bear what do you see. He knows the titles to most of his books too. We're in the middle of a little verbal explosion here too and he's making full sentances and carrying on conversations mini ones. It is so cool as they start to really learn fast.
  • It really is incredible!  Aiden has been in speech since he was 18 months, and the therapists predicted he would be fine.  I think I was just so worried he would never have this explosion, it makes me so happy to see.  I just never realized how fast this would happen!

For anyone that was in my shoes, and is stressed, I hope this helps to see how fast language can come.

• imagestar1123:

It really is incredible!  Aiden has been in speech since he was 18 months, and the therapists predicted he would be fine.  I think I was just so worried he would never have this explosion, it makes me so happy to see.  I just never realized how fast this would happen!

For anyone that was in my shoes, and is stressed, I hope this helps to see how fast language can come.

That is awesome and very encouraging. Thanks for sharing! :)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yes, DS has memorized some of several of his books. I recorded him just yesterday "reading" Three Little Monkeys, which he just got for Christmas & already had it memorized!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagesdpookie13:
    I don't know about an entire book but I tend to leave off words at the end of sentences to see if C can fill in the blanks. Most of the time she's got it.  It's just a fun thing to do! :) 
    haha, yes! ds does this, too - it's fun b/c it's like we're really reading together.

• Yes DS has memorized a few books. Usually the ones that don't have that many words. He reads "peek-a-who" to us. For anyone who is curious, in this book, there are pairs of pages where the first one is a little background with a window to the next page and the text is "peek-a" and then the next page you can see what was partially displayed before and it is some item that rhymes with "boo". The items are an owl ("who/hoo"), a cow ("moo"), a ghost ("boo"), a train ("choo choo") and a mirror ("you"). I might be missing one but I think that is it.

@Incogneato: I think it is hilarious that your DD reads a book "I can do it myself" by herself! She has a strong desire to be independent, it seems! Very cute. DS has only recently started saying the phrase "I did it!" with glee. It is nice to see them gain independence.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, Griffin has a few of his books memorized. He mostly has songs memorized though.. he will start singing songs all the time that he's remembered. He can sing several songs in their entirety! He really loves to sing, though, like my DH.
  • Yep mine is turning the pages on que with the Busby Bumble Bee book. I read and she knows when to turn the page.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD has a few memorized like "Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see..." and knows the plots to many of her other books, i.e. she can turn the page and describe what is going on.  Lately I've had to give her a book to have with her in her crib at nap time so she can "read" to her stuffed cat and baby before naps.
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"