Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Temperature for formulas?

I'm currently attempting to breastfeed, since that's what I've wanted to do to begin with, but my breastmilk isn't all the way in yet since it's only been about 3 days since i've given birth.

She drank up all my colostrum the first day and next morning. but now there's nothing there for my baby to eat.
I tried pumping today to get it started, but it took 20-25 mintues just to get a little drip out of me.
So, no wonder why she gets frustrated when I try to feed her now.

So, for now i'm using Enfamil for newborns until my milk comes in.
I have the powdered formula, but i'm wondering if there's a certain temperature I should keep it to feed her? I've been using room temperature, but i'm not sure if I should change it up or not.

What do you think?
Also, if there's any advice you guys could give me to get my breastmilk in faster, that would be wonderful.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Temperature for formulas?

• Options
    If you really want to breastfeed put away the formula. All baby needs right now they can get from your breast. The key to getting your full milk to come in is putting baby to breast as often as possible and until it comes in there is plenty there for them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's not what my Doctor/Nurses told me.
    And yes, I still introduce her to my breasts for a good 20mintues before I officially feed her.
    My Doctors and nurses told me not to nurse her for hours when she's getting nothing. It will do nothing but make me sore and her more frustrated.
    They told me not let her go hungry either way.
    I even have one of those SNS things to feed her along with her latching onto my breasts. Which works quite well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Find yourself a lactation consultant if you really want to breastfeed.
    I'm curious as to what makes you think she isn't getting anything from your breast? Baby's tummy is still itty bitty and all she needs is a little bit at a time. A pump is not a good indicator of what you are producing or of what baby is getting from you.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

When I was in the hospital I breastfed her for the first night and next day.
    She was doing fine, latching on perfectly, and I could hear her swallowing and see it dripping from her mouth.

The next day I was at the hospital, she was latching on fine, but no swallowing, no sight of milk, no nothing. So the nurses helped me out a bit, but still nothing.
    So that's why.

*EDIT*  and now i'm home, introducing her to my breasts as much as possible. and still nothing.

• Options
    My thoughts exactly. Thank you :)
  • Options
    My milk didn't come in until day 4 and I didn't supplement and he was back up to his birth weight by day 7.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah I don't understand the whole "my milk didn't come in" thing. It's normal that a newborn take an hour or longer just to get a few drops in the first couple days. So you probably wouldn't notice swallowing of see any milk. A doctor or nurse is not necessarily a lactation expert and its much easier on the doctors to know how your baby is eating if you feed them formula.

Talk to an expert and do some research on "milk not coming in" because its super rare and I highly doubt that's what's happening to you.
  • Options

I will answer the question you asked. Room temperature is fine. I only use my bottle warmer when I make bottles in advance and store in the fridge. 

There is no reason to let your baby go hungry. Who cares if Internet strangers are judging you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"