March 2012 Moms

Tylenol for teething...

How do you judge when to give Tylenol for "teething?"  We gave DD Tylenol last night and tonight - just one dose each night.  However, DH and I are not sure it was the right decision.  We don't know for sure if she is teething.  We have thought many times over the past few months she was getting more teeth with no results.

We were just at the pedi today and he checked her ears and gave her a once over, so she doesn't have any other problems.  But last night and tonight she has cried for about 2 hours and has refused to go to sleep despite rocking, paci, offering of a bottle - refused both nights, diaper change, teethers.  Normally, we put her down around 7:30 and she either plays in her crib until she falls asleep or goes right to sleep.  Since this crying is so out of the ordinary DH and I think that she must be uncomfortable and after trying everything we can think of ended up giving her Tylenol.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?   TIA.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tylenol for teething...

• I think a lot of us are going through the 9 month sleep regression. My son never wakes up at night or has trouble going down but these last couple of weeks have been a mess. Did the Tylenol help at all? My son is popping a couple of teeth so we did give him Advil a couple of nights as well but it didn't really do much for the wakefulness. For teething, I haven't found Tylenol to do much for him. Ibuprofen is also an anti-inflammatory and it seems to help him a bit more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• tylenol=instant barf.. so we tried advil and so far no barf. we never give full doses and this time we put it in a small amount of water in a bottle and it seems to be working out better...

good luck, we're on 9 teeth and still going..  it's been rough

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, the Tylenol does help.  After about 40 minutes.  I am not sure its a sleep regression.  She is fine through the night.  Nothing seems to console her, so its not like she just wants out of her crib or something.  She was crying so hard last night she was coughing and trying to catch her breath.
  • Agreeing to use Advil not Tylenol. Works better. Tylenol is great for fevers but Advil is much better for the swelling and inflammation.

They can teeth for months before they get a tooth. Which includes the sore gums. So she really well may just be teething, especially if the meds helps.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• imagecountrygrl5533:

Agreeing to use Advil not Tylenol. Works better. Tylenol is great for fevers but Advil is much better for the swelling and inflammation.

They can teeth for months before they get a tooth. Which includes the sore gums. So she really well may just be teething, especially if the meds helps.

We have read that Tylenol is safer at night.  Not sure what the reasoning was.  We use either.  They both seem to work and the pedi recommended both. 

• imagebeth2882:
    imagecountrygrl5533:

Agreeing to use Advil not Tylenol. Works better. Tylenol is great for fevers but Advil is much better for the swelling and inflammation.

We have read that Tylenol is safer at night.  Not sure what the reasoning was.  We use either.  They both seem to work and the pedi recommended both. 

I think it is funny how every doc is different. Mine told me to use Advil, day or night, unless it was a fever then to use Tylenol. lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• DD is has been getting a fever with her most recent round of teeth, so we are using a combination of Tylenol and Advil per her ped's advice.
    Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"