March 2012 Moms

Half marathon

So my friend is trying to talk me into running a half marathon in May. I am thinking of doing it. With the stroller I can run 2 mi right now. Without, about 3 mi. Looking at some training schedules, it looks like you build up to the longer runs. I'm a little afraid to make a big commitment like this. Also, my during the week runs would have to be done with the stroller making some of those 4/5 milers pretty rough. 

Anyone run a half before? I need some encouragement! 

Re: Half marathon

• I only run when being chased. lol.

So words of advice but good luck! There has to be a blog for mama runners that would have some good tips.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I haven't but good luck!

I just got the BOB and starting January I plan on doing 1-2 5ks a month then hopefully by July start doing 10ks and keep working my way up. I was pretty active up until I got pregnant with LO then got really lazy! I am hoping to work my way up to a half marathon and would love to do the Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon next November but I doubt I'd be ready by then!

Best of luck to you!

TTC#1 12/09
    LO #1 3/12
    TTC#2 9/12
    BFP #2 6/14 ended in CP
    BFP #3 12/14
    DX CCAM @ 20w
    Baby girl EDD 8/22/15

• Loading the player...
  • You all are crazy! Running makes me want to hurl. Good for you though. Make the committment, and go for it. You have until May to get there. Plus, you might surprise yourself without how well you do. You had a baby, didn't you? I always say after a VBAC with an epidural that failed, I can do pretty much anything!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go for it!! 

I have never ever been a runner! Swam in High School and always hated to run. But I gained about 60 pounds during my pregnancy and had to do something. My hubby likes to run and has always ran a 2-3 miles a day max. So I started to run with him. Then it became a competition (I'm very competitive) Anyway a friend of mine convinced us to do the ING Half coming up on Jan. 27. I signed up and that has kept me going strong.

Training wise the best thing to do is run at least 5 times a day. Four of the days at least 3 miles (LO goes with me, 3 miles is his max in the jogging stroller) and then one of those days increase it by a mile a week. So my length day is on Saturday mornings. It started off at only 3 miles and the next week 4 and so on. Now I'm up to 8. Sundays and Mondays are my day off to recuperate form Saturday. I hope this isn't confusing! If so PM me! 

Good luck and again go for it. You won't regret it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go for it!! 

I am doing my first Half on Jan 27th. I have never been a big runner and just started taking up the hobby right before I got pregnant. I did a couple 5k here and there and then one day I wanted to see how far I could run and I hit 6 miles effortlessly so I decided to start training. This was in November, so you have plenty of time to get there.

My training is:

1. I run 3 mile runs 4 times a week

2. Once a week on Saturdays is my long run. I always up it a mile more than the prior week. So last Saturday I ran 8 miles so this Saturday I will run 9 and so on. I use Sunday and Monday as off days to recooperated from Saturday.

Like I said I have never been a big runner so I am not sure if this is the proper way to train for a marathon (half) but it works for me.

Oh and I take LO on the 3 mile runs. He loves it!

PM me if this is confusing or if you need moral support!!  

• Sorry about the double post computer acting up and said there was an error posting the first one so I rewrote it and what do you know the original post showed up. OPS!!
  • Thanks everyone! I think I am going to do it. I found a 20 week program that starts out with 4 days a week at 3 mi which I almost already do. I was a swimmer in HS and college so long practices with no interaction with others isn't hard for me. Give me an audiobook and I am good to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"