Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

XP: Tell me about...

Tell me about your daycare etc.  My son will soon be 2 (not until March), but since he is my first and I'm not surrounded by others with kids, I am not sure when I need to send him to preschool or if his daycare is doing "enough"  Any thoughts or suggestions?  
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: XP: Tell me about...

• Options

Our daycare is technically a "child development center"- but they spend a lot time playing outside and having free time play indoors (blocks, books, train sets, animals, etc.), but they do have circle time 2xs a day with reading and singing, they usually do an art project each day, and incorporate numbers, letters, seasons, animals, Spanish, etc. into what they're doing, so he is learning to count, the alphabet, etc.

I know some people feel that it's important to have a curriculum, but I feel like as long as he's getting social experience with other kids, learning to listen in a group setting, and getting the basics (i.e. ABCs, counting, colors), that's great.  They're so little, I think it's nice that they can spend most of their day running around, burning off energy and having fun.  There will be plenty of time for learning and homework when he gets to school.

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

All but one preschool in my area requires that the kids be at least 3yo.  There's one that has a "toddler class" for 18mo+ but it's more of an expanded Mommy and Me since a parent has to stay with the child.

Our DCP is a wonderful woman in her home.  She's been doing it for 30+ years and only has 3-4 kids/day.  We know many of the other kids' parents.  DD2 loves the social time.  Like PP said, at this age it's more about the social time than "academics".  She'll have 2 years of Preschool before Kindergarden and is still on track with letters, counting, colors, etc.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    do you use child care at all now?  I used to use a SAHM, but I thought it would be nice for DD to be around more kids, so when I had DS I put them both in daycare.  She started when he was 2 1/2, I'd say she probably does have more fun, she does more crafts, but she's always been pretty bright, so I wouldn't say she's really learning any more, the teacher actually said she's one of the more advanced kids in the class.  I've also noticed she's picked up a ton of not so great phrases and pretty nasty attitude, she tells us to get out of her face, stop talking to her, we're not nice, leave her alone, ect.  I think if I could have I'd prefer to have her socialize with kids through parent run play dates and mommy and me type of classes, and put her in preschool a few 1/2 days a week when she was 4.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options

My girls go to an in home daycare.  They are with 2 other little girls.  She does an awesome job with them.  She has dance and singing time and they work on numbers, colors and the alphabet.  She does crafts with them and in the warm months they are outside for 1-3 hours a day.  The girl a little older than DD1 started potty training and it peaked DD1's interest and she trained really quickly and DCP was very helpful and patient with her. 

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to send DD1 to 1 or 2 years of preschool.  She can start next September, but I'm not sure what I want to do yet.  I'm leaning towards 1 year.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"