Special Needs

Let's hear the brags...it's Wednesday!

I want to hear all the great holiday brags from you ladies.....

I have one this time!

Of course we've come a long way with Matthew's speech apraxia---although he can't be completely understood from everyone, it's so much better than it was.  He's speaking short sentences for the most part-and trying so hard!  His SPD is also something we're working on. 

SOOOOO....even with all of the hoopla of Christmas Eve and Day with so many people around, he was able to handle himself so well!  No meltdowns or hitting--nothing!  BUT the best moment was Christmas morning while he was opening up gifts he said very clearly (I wish I had the camera rolling then!)....  "Santa loves me so much"   It was the sweetest thing--and just made me melt.  Not only did he speak so clearly and in a sentence--but he truly meant it.

So let's hear all of your brags!!

Re: Let's hear the brags...it's Wednesday!

• We also had a reasonably well-behaved Christmas! DS didn't eat very well at my parents, and I was too tired/distracted/etc. to go through our usual bartering routine to get him to eat vegetables. However, he sat perfectly quiet for the entire church service on Christmas Eve. He sat and played with a little toy truck, and didn't even try to lay down on the bench. He obediently posed for family photos. He never scoffed or complained about a gift that he opened. He said "thank-you" with only a couple prompts (after several days of coaching in advance, including social stories). He went to bed each night with zero fuss. He volunteered lots of  hugs and kisses to his grandparents, without any prompts from me. And he happily trotted off to school today without the meltdowns I remember him having last year. All in all, we have a lot to be thankful for this year.
  • imageMirandaHobbes:
    We also had a reasonably well-behaved Christmas! DS didn't eat very well at my parents, and I was too tired/distracted/etc. to go through our usual bartering routine to get him to eat vegetables. However, he sat perfectly quiet for the entire church service on Christmas Eve. He sat and played with a little toy truck, and didn't even try to lay down on the bench. He obediently posed for family photos. He never scoffed or complained about a gift that he opened. He said "thank-you" with only a couple prompts (after several days of coaching in advance, including social stories). He went to bed each night with zero fuss. He volunteered lots of  hugs and kisses to his grandparents, without any prompts from me. And he happily trotted off to school today without the meltdowns I remember him having last year. All in all, we have a lot to be thankful for this year.

that is so great!!!!!   DS1 also didn't seem to mind going to daycare today.  Which was a relief.  DS2 wasn't as happy-but I'm sure is enjoying his time there while mommy works.  LOL

I love the days that they just "go with the flow".....those are great days!

• Loading the player...
  • We had a pretty great holiday!  DS was super excited about presents and well behaved.  I'm sure it was echolalia but he kept saying "this is what I always wanted" when he opened a present he really liked.  He said thank you.  There were fewer people at a huge family party we always go to (probably 30 instead of the usual 50+ in an average sized house). He did so well there.  it's the first year I've been able to just let him be instead of hovering (there's a ton of breakables and hot food dishes/coffee at kid level).  He played so nicely with his cousins.  Him and another boy who is two weeks older, each brought one toy and they traded back and forth nicely all night.  They also just played and ran around. It was so wonderful watching him just be a kid and have fun.  

Yesterday he played with his cousin (she's a sweet but bossy 5) ate a good lunch. Was excited to spend time with grandma and just enjoyed the day.  Then he stayed up until midnight, which he never does.  He was so freaking slap happy and hilarious that I couldn't be mad.  He was just so excited about his favorite  toys he couldn't sleep.  plus he slept in this morning. 

:-)

DS 09/2008

• Since getting out of the hospital, DD is eating like a champ!  Better than before she got sick and dehydrated!  I am so happy, and really hope that we never have to go down that road again.  DD is doing pretty good on her milk/liquid intake and great on her food!  Yay!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love this post every week. DD got tubes in her ear today. Unrelated, she has started to mimic me and will stick her tongue out at me if I stick mine out at her (I know MOTY here, but still).
  • My in-laws house when everyone's here is NOT for the faint of heart.  In fact my first visit here ended with me having a breakdown in the car crying to DH (then boyfriend) that his family was crazy.  Other people have made the same comment and today in the midst of all that chaos, Chris simply asked me for my phone and retreated to the guest room which was just off the living room where the craziness was going on.  When he wanted a snack, he came out, asked for one and then went back.  And when his cousins were throwing tantrums of their own, he just kinda looked at them like "what is THEIR problem?".  To tell the truth, he was so cool, I even went to hang out with him for a little bit to escape the craziness.  I was very surprised.  He usually doesn't do so well when it's crazy all around him but he was cool as a cucumber.  

Also we went to the mall today and DH took him for a walk while I helped MIL pick out a new coat and he said he did great and only got a little overloaded at one store, but otherwise seemed to enjoy himself.  So yay - meltdown free Christmas!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Owl did well and spontaneously spoke a word here and there to people, she told SIL that she was tired and then quickly fell asleep on the couch, yay for using words to tell needs! She was slow understanding how to unwrap gifts but very organized and meticulous once it clicked for her.
  • imagegrbnik:
    Since getting out of the hospital, DD is eating like a champ!  Better than before she got sick and dehydrated!  I am so happy, and really hope that we never have to go down that road again.  DD is doing pretty good on her milk/liquid intake and great on her food!  Yay!
    Hooooooray!!!   That's great news.  
  • Lauren got a singing tea set for Christmas and when I handed her a teacup she tried to drink out of it!!
  • I'm late to the party -- these are awesome brags, I'm glad Christmas was so great! 

We had a wonderful Christmas. DD1 cracked me up at mass, the "give each other a sign of peace" finally clicked for her and she was crawling along the pew shaking everyone's hand.

She was so happy Christmas morning. It's hard not to expect your kid to be super animated when they open the present they asked for and wanted most (a talking Buzz Lightyear), but as DH described it, she got this "Mona Lisa smile" and you could just tell that her little heart was brimming. She and DD2 have been playing so nicely -- DD1 is starting to do different voices for different characters, and it's so funny! 

Yesterday we went to the mall, and the play area was temporarily closed for cleaning. She had really wanted to play, and was so upset. She gave two loud screams and then was able to calm herself down (she pretends to sneeze until she gets herself under control). This amazes me -- maybe because I remember being a crier as a kid and I felt so helpless about being able to stop myself/calm down, even when I wanted to. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • That is so sweet! I already posted about it but DD can now say Merry Christmas and sings a few lines of jingle bells. She sang for the first time a few weeks back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"