New York Babies

Lower East Side

Hi all -

We're looking to move to a larger apartment and found a great opportunity in the lower east side.

We are wondering the family-friendliness of neighborhood.  Are there mom's out with strollers?  Good pediatricians?

Would love your thoughts!

Re: Lower East Side

• I love the Lower East Side!  I live in the Bronx, but I go there on a regular basis.  My family and I spend most of the summer walking around Union Square and Washington Square Park.  My DS1 loves playing in the fountain.  There's great food that's not too pricey if you want to have lunch out.  I don't know about pediatricians, but there have to be some good ones if you go to NYU Medical Center.  I used to work at Bellevue in the Pediatric department and they were really nice there.  The two hospitals are affiliated.  Let me know if you ever want to do a playdate.  I have a soon to be 5 year old and a 5 month old.  =)
    Interested in Cloth Diapering? Overwhelmed by all the information out there? Contact me for a free consultation in person or online! Official DiaperParties.com Consultant image
  • A good friend of mine and her husband just moved out of the LES because they have a five-month-old and don't think it's the best place for a family. They found that most restaurants were not baby or toddler friendly. It also becomes a party zone on the weekends, which meant that the neighborhood was very loud, particularly during the summer. They didn't feel like there were too many other parents--mostly a lot of single young professionals these days. That's just one couple's experience. I hope this helps. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on where you live on the LES.  I live all the way over on the FDR Drive and Grand.  The apartments are huge, there are a few parks and the EEast River Park is so close.  There are a ton of kids as well.  That part of the neighborhood lacks in amenities, but in this day and age you can order so much stuff online, I don't think it will be a problem.  Tribeca Peds is opening an office on Grand Street in the next couple of months. 

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"