Preemies
Options

Preemies with colds

So I had my daughter on September 13th, she was just shy of 36 weeks. She stayed in the NICU for 8 days due to her forgetting to breath every 20 seconds or so. She was on oxygen for only half the week and she progressed very well! Since she has been home it's been quite the journey. The week of Thanksgiving she developed Pneumonia and got very sick (Seizures because her sodium dropped very low) and she was just not herself. (Was the worst feeling a parent could feel) She NOW has gotten sick again (Taking her to the doctore this afternoon) and what I wanted to know was, if any of you have preemies how did they do at home and were they sick often? If so were they able to recover pretty quick? This is SO scary and I hate that she is sick again. We have stayed home since she came home from the NICU the second time and we sanitize sanitize sanitize, I clean everyday and try to keep those germs away, but it's almost inevitable that she will get sick! It makes me feel so guilty and it's so draining just worrying about how sick she is and if it will progress and get worse. ugh! =(

Originally posted in september 2012 moms, but was suggested to post here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Preemies with colds

• Options
    Most people on here will tell you to keep your preemie on lock down throughout cold and flu season. While ideal, it is not always practical. My DS was born at 33 wks 1 day and was in the NICU for 17 days. We kept him home until he recieved his 2 month shots. His Dr did not recommend limiiting his interactions after that so since then he has went and goes wherever we go, he's around small children we have a 4 year old, and he goes to a daycare center DH and I both work and have no family in the area. He's had numerous colds, bronchiolist, and 4 ear infections getting ear tubes in the New Year. We have been lucky that he hasn't ended up in the hospital for any of it. Honestly, his 1st 7 months haven't been all that different than my daughters who was born at term. She had RSV at 5 months, numerous colds, bronchiolist, and ear tubes at 9 months...but she hasn't had a cold in over 2.5 years...so all that rambling is me trying to tell you to do what is right for you and your family. Follow your Dr recommendations and do what feels right.

Sorry, posting from my phone and a lot of my punctuation was removed!
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thank you! Yes. We have been on lock down for the most part and it's definitely inevitable that she will get sick. Me, the 3 year old and my LO all have a cold right now. Took LO to the doctor yesterday her lungs sounded great(that was my biggest worry) and she just has the onset of a cold. We've been doing showers with her (15 minute showers) then sucking those naughty boogies out, cool mist humidifier, keeping her propped. Hoping she just flies through this cold. My biggest fear ever is going back to the hospital. That was the scariest time for me. The first time around was not even as bad as the second. I was so scared for her and me and my BF.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"