Military Families
Options

Signing up baby for Tricare while Daddy is Deployed...

So my boyfriend is in the Army. He deploys about 3 months before the baby is due. Is there anyway I can get our baby signed up for Tricare while he's in theater?

Re: Signing up baby for Tricare while Daddy is Deployed...

• Options

From what I gathered from a quick Google search, your boyfriend should go talk to someone at the DEERS office and JAG.  Paternity will need to be established in order for your child to be eligible.

When I had our son while my DH was deployed, my DH had to get a specific POA that would allow me to add our LO to DEERS and then TRICARE.   He did this before deploying, so it was easier on all of us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have your boyfriend call the DEERS office and ask.  It's his responsibility to find out, and since you aren't a dependent there's really nothing you can do.
    TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is your boyfriend's responsibility.  After the baby's birth he needs to acknowledge paternity, get proof of it, then add the child to DEERS and Tricare.  A POA for DEERS will not solve the problem of establishing paternity.

If he doesn't do this in a timely manner then you can sue for paternity and support.  Most states have a social services agency to assist in that process.  The process of suing for paternity and support would be complicated by his deployment but it's your only alternative if he doesn't do what he's supposed to do.  

In the meantime, plan on having a gap in health insurance so you're prepared for the worst case scenario.  Find out if you and/or the baby will qualify for medicare during that period.

• Options
    Well he isn't gonna challenge paternity cuz he knows that he's been my only one. It's just we're trying to figure out how to get the baby under tricare if we don't end up marrying before he deploys.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have another quick question for you. When he's deployed am I able to get his name on the birth certificate?
  • Options

imageFAZIOLIBABY2013:
    Thanks. I have another quick question for you. When he's deployed am I able to get his name on the birth certificate?

Yes, he does not have to present to put his name on the birth certificate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have him talk to DEERS and JAG... E may need to sign a power of attorney to you for this specifically. I know my husband has to sign off on any additions to TriCare, even though I am his spouse, I can't do it alone without a POA since he is my "sponsor" he has to sign our little one up, or I can do it as long as he gives me legal POA to do it.
  • Options

Just to clarify.  When I mentioned the necessity of establishing paternity, I wasn't suggesting your boyfriend has any question about whether he's the father.  It's a legal process.  Many states don't establish legal paternity for unwed couples by just allowing the mother to list someone on the birth certificate.  Either the father has to sign something acknowledging paternity, or a court decides.  Since your boyfriend isn't going to be present at the birth, he'll probably have to sign and notarize a document where he's deployed and send it back to the states for you to file and establish legal paternity.

You need to find out what your particular state requires.  For example, in NY, this is how they do it:   https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/aop_howto.html.  Just google "acknowledging paternity" and your state's name and something should pop up.

Tricare isn't going to let you add someone as a single Soldier's dependent without establishing legal paternity.  A POA allowing you to add a dependent to Tricare doesn't establish paternity.  Make sense?

Here's another form from an Army ID Card office telling you what a single male Soldier needs to add a child as a dependent in DEERS.   https://www.drum.army.mil/hr/Documents/Documents Required for an ID Card.pdf

• Options
    YOU can't do anything. You're not married, which means you have zero options to do anything regarding getting your LO set up in the system. Even when married,it isn't as simple as just going down to DEERS to get LO set up. You either need the servicememeber there, or very specific paperwork in order to complete the process.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"