Food Allergy
Options

Need help with allergy-friendly ideas for birthday party guest

My boys' birthday party is coming up soon. It's at a gymnastics place so the focus will be on activity and we won't have a lot of snacks beside birthday cake. One of the guests--a mom--has Celiac and her nursing baby also has a lot of food allergies so she is gluten-free and also avoiding dairy, eggs, nuts, fish and shellfish. The GF was easy enough to work around but I'd love ideas for a dessert option for her that avoids all of those. Anyone? We've dealt with a lot of allergies in my boys but never had to be dairy-free (other than a brief trial of Alimentum at 3 months) and my egg-allergic son can have them in baked goods so we haven't had to completely eliminate them.
fraternal twin boys born january 2009

Re: Need help with allergy-friendly ideas for birthday party guest

• Options
    If you're looking to bake something for her, it will be tough. My husband is completely non-dairy and I have that down, but I also have a gluten free friend and the combo is really hard. If you want to bake, you should be able to get a gluten free flower, but it may be hard because a lot are nut based. I find that baking with soy milk is the better between rice and soy. You can find egg substiute that comes in powder form. You mix it with warm water for baking. Given all that, it may be best to just make her a really yummy fruit salad with berries and have that specially set aside for her. Maybe even find some gluten free soy icecream at Trader Joe's. Everyone likes fruit and I have a feeling she will be happy that you spent time thinking about her and the baby.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was hoping to bake something for her but if there aren't good options, just something tasty would be good. (Last year I made Rice Krispie squares for her as the alternative to cake, but that's when she was only gluten-free and I know they have butter.) The fruit salad is a great idea! I'll see if I can find the ice cream, too. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think i would keep it safe and buy a box of cookies.  They make really yummy top 8 free cookies by enjoy life.  We have been through so many birthdays and one of our friends has a son with celiac and when ever we go to her house for a bday party she has a box of cookies or coconut ice cream waiting for us.  When ever she goes to us for a party we have a box of GF cookies for her son. It's just safer when i can read the ingredients or she can read the ingredients. 

This way there are not CC issues and everyone is happy.

• Options
    Great ideas, thanks so much! Unfortunately we don't have a SuperTarget near us but I'll look for the Enjoy Life cookies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"