February 2012 Moms
Options

Pushing back bedtime help...

DS' bedtime is 10-10:30pm every night. He usually wakes between 3 and 4am for a quick bottle and then he goes right back to sleep until 7 or 8am.

Right now we are trying to phase out the night bottle. He used to have a 6 oz bottle, but now we are down to 4oz and he is waking up later...the past few nights he has woken up around 5 or 6am. We hope to go down to 2oz tomorrow night...but have no idea if what we are doing will work/is working. Our pedi said to gradually decrease the amount we give him at night and eventually he won't wake for a bottle. Sounds too good to be true...but we shall see what happens.

Anyway, once we phase out the night feeding, we wanted to try and get his bedtime to be earlier. Is that even possible?

Re: Pushing back bedtime help...

• Options
    I think it's possible to get the bedtime earlier, but just be prepared to shift his entire schedule earlier! For us, if I want Nat to go to bed earlier I will push her morning nap late by an hour and then skip the afternoon nap. Then she will go to bed by 8p and wake up earlier so that it shifts her schedule earlier.

Good luck!!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I would check with your pediatrician, but I would do it in the opposite order - change bedtime first, break nighttime feeding second.  Obviously all babies are different, but I think the goal is to shoot for around 12 hours of sleep a night.  Since your LO sleeps for less then that I would try to change the bedtime first and get him sleeping earlier and for longer stretches, and then once he's got that down break the nighttime feeding. How many naps does he take?  What time is his last nap? 

FWIW, we broke their nighttime feeding in exactly the way your doctor mentioned.  Ours said to give them water instead of formula, that made the really angry, so we gave them less formula each night and watered it down.  After about 5 nights they STTN.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would try doing the bedtime much earlier and see if that helps. It doesn't hurt to try. My DS is DONE by 6pm, so that's when he goes to bed.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

imagesunnyday016:
    I would try doing the bedtime much earlier and see if that helps. It doesn't hurt to try. My DS is DONE by 6pm, so that's when he goes to bed.

I definitely agree with this.  The girls perfect bedtime would be 6:30, but with both of us working full-time they usually go to bed at 7.  It's not ideal for us because we would love to spend more time with them, but especially on days when they go to daycare they're just exhausted and want to go to bed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"