Blended Families
Options

NBFR-how many gifts for Christmas

How many gifts do you usually give each child for Christmas? Is there an amount which is WAY to much? How old are the kiddos and does age make a difference in the amount?

IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: NBFR-how many gifts for Christmas

• Options
    We go by a budget not number of gifts. SS (13) is only getting 5 things but he has a bigger budget than SS (5) and DD (6) who will both have more things to open. 
    utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Getting Pregnant">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We try to stick to a budget and not a number of gifts.

This year DS understands 'Santa' and the concept of asking him for gifts. SS doesn't really understand yet. With that being said, he's jumped on the bandwagon of wanting what DS wants, so they are getting what they asked for, which is 2 things.

Sadly, we haven't done any shopping yet, with the exception of one gift. They will get a few things from DH and I but it won't be a lot. They don't need much and there are still toys in their room that haven't been touched from last year. Neither of us are very keen on buying a ton of things they don't need, and we also don't want them getting accustomed to getting a TON of toys. We have a very large extended family, so there is always a ton there too.

They are actually the same age, so most of the time they get similar things, to be fair. If they didn't like the same things it would change and this year it may. DS likes a number of things whereas SS just likes things with wheels.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We give each child 3 gifts. Our kids are 6mo - almost 9 so a gift limit seems the most fair way to do things. If we spent the same on each child it would be equal but would not be fair. $100 goes much farther for a 6mo old than it does for a 9yr old.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We spend the same or close to it on each kid. The budget sometimes changes from year to year. This year the kids are getting a puppy as their big gift.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Options
    My kids are 2 and 5, I bought them each about a dozen gifts, and they each get one 'big' gift from Santa. Some of them are toys and some are things they need like clothes. I probably spent around 400 per kid.Their dad does the same at his house. Also, they are the only grandkids on both sides so they have a Christmas with each set of granparents too, and get quite a bit.

This is the first year since the divorce that I'm on my feet and can actually afford to spoil them a little. Let me tell you, it feels really good to be able to buy for them. Last year I was seperated from XH, in school full time, and unable to work more than 1520 hours per week. I was still married, so I couldn't get assistance, and I had no money to buy them anything. I felt like such a POS.
  • Options

We spend the same money amount per child and it doesn't matter how many gifts there are under the tree for them.  The older ones are 15 an 13 and the little one is 18 months.  Obviously we can get more gifts in our range for the little one.

• Options

1) we have the same budget for each child.

2) we give three gifts from US and St Nicholas does up the stockings.

3) Stockings will have one COOL gift and then toiletries and/or sweets.  EVERYTHING in the stockings are wrapped - because little kids LOVE unwrapping things.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

We do the same # of gifts. Typically, we try to spend similar amounts on all the kids but some years it is not possible. DD is getting a laptop as her big present this year and while I got it for a good deal at $299 + her other presents, there is no way we would spend that same amount on all the kids this year. DD needs a computer for school  and since I'm pretty much on my laptop doing school work myself in the evenings she really can't borrow mine all the time. DS absolutely doesn't need that much spent on him, we probably spent $120 on him total. Yet SD's big present was $130.

We do same # of gifts because all our kids care about is that they aren't sitting back watching someone else open a bunch of presents when they only got a few. So that means, like in this year's case DD gets much cheaper other presents since her big present is so much.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    This year my SDs asked for two things each from Santa.  Since we are on good terms with BM we each got them one thing that they asked for.  On top of that, they've gotten some clothing, socks and underwear, books and a few other small fun things.  DS is a baby, so he's gotten two baby toys and some other little, needed things.

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I only have one LO, DS is 2. I will do Santa the same way my parents did for me...one present from Santa, usually the thing we wanted most of all. As for presents from me, since he is only 2 I don't have a set system in place. This year I spent about $120 on him - easel with all the extra stuff (crayons/fingerpaint/dry erase markers/chalk) and a huge set of MegaBloks. FI said he spent about $150 on DS but wouldn't tell me what he got...I just know one present is a bubble mower.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I intended to give 4/kid, plus 2 santa gifts per kid. DH went crazy and bought way too many gifts. I don't even want to count 'em. It makes me mad.
  • Options

When LO is older we will do the same amount. As for now, we spent waay less on her because her 2nd bday is a week after christmas and she is about  get bombarded.  She got 3 nice gifts this year.  SS happened to get 4 bigger gifts.  We decided to do that this year instead of a ton of smaller things.

Both kids will get stockings with gadgets and candy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We do a budget for each kid, although this year DS is 4 and DD was just born this month so we just combined the budget. So, we got a wooden kitchen and Melissa & Doug wooden food, which is technically for both the kids although it will be at least a year or so before DD really cares about. We got DS some stuff for just him, and DD some little items that are more of "needs."
  • Options
    We do the same amount per kid. DS is 11 and SD is 8.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We do the same amount per kid but both SDs have 5 gifts. I think LO has 5 gifts too actually. I didn't add up what Ispent on LO, it might be less than what I spent on SDs
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We probably spent $250 per kid.  I have been trying to get DH to understand that we need to cut back with the boys -- I'm pretty happy with our budget this year.  DH grew up in a family where holiday were magical events of being showered with insane amounts of gifts and cash.  It set up unreasonable expectations and I don't want to try to live up to that. 

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We only have ss so this may not apply quite as much to op's question, but we set a budget. This year, my job gave us each a 250 Walmart gift card as our holiday bonus the week before Thanksgiving. This was our budget and we went shopping on black Friday. Ss is 3.5 and this is his first Christmas to spend with us, and we bought a house this year so it's the first time he has ever had a room of his own. At that age, and for 250 on black Friday, there is a ton you can find, so ss is quite spoiled this year at daddy's house. We also got him a big gift for the backyard because he has zero toys to play with outside and that was not included in our original budget. My bigger concern is buying him age appropriate gifts. This year bm got him a horse...a long with who knows what else, they do birthdays and holidays HUGE, but it's stuff that he can't even play with unless someone is right there 24/7 for his 2nd birthday, he got a four wheeler, he has about 5 motorized vehicles at bm's house now...last year he got 2 for Christmas.
    fbls

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"