Postpartum Depression

How to tell doctor?

How do you bring up to your doctor that you are depressed? I'm feeling really awkward about discussing this with anyone. I'm planning to do so at my 6 wk appointment (if I can last that long). What can I expect after I tell her? How did you all bring PPD up with your doctor?

Also, about how much do you pay for your medication? Or therapist? Both?

Thank you...

daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC

Re: How to tell doctor?

• I told my doctor that I was havng a hard time adjusting to being a mom. I would definetly let your doctor know what you are thinking & how you are feeling. don't feel awkward. there are people available to help you. at your 6-week appoiptment they should give you a depression scale to fill out. (mine didn't & I was so pissed when I learned they could have caught my PPD/PPA earlier. Please ask for help! also check out this super helpful website https://postpartumstress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ha! At my last appointment I was bawling uncontrollably. I was utterly, utterly embarrassed. I am NEVER like that at for the most part but I've felt so out of control of my emotions after this pregnancy. I was fortunate that my husband was there to do the talking and just tell the OB about how upset I've been and how I've had a rough recovery from my CS and issues with BF. The OB simply told me to get outside more and try and get more sunlight. He never suggested I seek additional help...I thought that was odd. I figured he might think I have baby blues instead of PPD. Not sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • See, I'm afraid of that happening to me...opening up about my feelings and getting told to simply go outside more or get out of the house....I just don't know how I could handle that sort of minimizing response.
  • Yes, I understand although you could look at it this way - it can?t hurt to ask. My OB happens to be odd like that. When I was in the hospital I was also very tearful and the OB who discharged me (a different doctor from the same practice)  suggested that I get some help. So it depends on the doctor but again, it can't hurt to explain why you feel you need help and ask for a referral. Also, is your hubby available to accompany you and advocate on your behalf?? I also feel nervous about bringing up these issues again given that my OB is on the cold side. SoI might enlist hubby who is actually the one encouraging me to get help. (And of course I'm nervous that I'll be so weepy that I won't be able to get many words out like last time - my emotions are so unpredictable, sigh).
  • imageerincraig:
    I told my doctor that I was havng a hard time adjusting to being a mom. I would definetly let your doctor know what you are thinking amp; how you are feeling. don't feel awkward. there are people available to help you. at your 6week appoiptment they should give you a depression scale to fill out. mine didn't amp; I was so pissed when I learned they could have caught my PPD/PPA earlier. Please ask for help! also check out this super helpful website https://postpartumstress.com/
    I agree with all of this. Several women go through this alone and we shouldn't have to. Speak up before things get worse. They give you a depression test?!?!? Hah!! Now I'm pissed my OB didn't do that. Mine hit me like a Mack truck at 7 months PP!!! I cannot imagine what could have been avoided!!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I haven't had PP Depression, but am experienced with non-pregnancy related Depression.  Honestly  I waited way to long to talk with anyone about it because I felt awkward, too.  I wouldn't wait until your 6 week appointment (unless it is this week).  Just call the doctor's office and say, "I think I'm depressed".  They'll take it from there. 

Of course, I understand that calling the office may seem overwhelming right now.  If you do wait until your next appt, just tell your doctor, "I think I'm depressed."  You don't have to prep any other kind of explanation.  The doc will you ask you questions to help figure assess your situation (questions about your sleep patterns, your emotions, your enthusiasm for life, etc.)

I was so, so, so relieved after I finally talked to my doctor.  It was such a weight of my shoulders to have confided in someone who was going to help me.  

Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the PPs. I had my baby 6.5 months ago and I just realized that for the past couple of months I have been a complete mess. I called out of the blue and inquired if my OB would be able to give me advice on what to do or would want to see me. They called me immediately and gave me an appointment that day! I am now on Zoloft and thriving! 

Your OB will be able to help, it is part of their training and responsibilities as your doctor. Just inquire and they will be able to do an interview and deduce what your needs will be.

Good luck!! 

• Thank you everyone. I somehow can't bring myself to call her before my appt (in a week and a half)....but I probably really need to. I just hate getting all gushy with my feelings, but I'm at least going to force myself to bring it up at the appointment if nothing else.
  • I was really nervous to talk to my doctor about it, too.  But they see it all the time and it's really NBD to them.  I did not get a depression scale, as PP mentioned, but they did ask me how I was feeling at my 6 week appointment.  Just be honest.  Just telling her how I felt was a relief.

I am on a low dose of Zoloft and a month's worth of pills is about $2.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"