December 2010 Moms
Options

Croup?

New week, another illness in my house!  I hope this streak ends soon though.

DH heard C coughing last night that he described as sounding "weird".  I heard it this morning when he woke and knew immediately that must be the barking cough I'd heard about.  A quick visit to the pedi confirmed and we left with steroids.  If you're LO had croup, how long did it take LO to start feeling better?  Also, did LO run a temp (low or otherwise) with it?  I gave him some Advil, but he was still a bit warm (99.3 on the Advil).  At least he's fairly happy (though with bouts of unprompted tears during the day) and was able to fall asleep tonight.  His coughing already sounds less like barking so guess the meds are kicking in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Croup?

• Options
    I'm trying to remember because DS had it when he was 9 months old (DH is helping me remember right now!). Noah had been coughing a little a couple of days before, but he had one night that was HORRIBLE. We went to the ER and he was pretty miserable. He did have a pretty high fever. Once we did the hospital and got home the next day, he recovered pretty quickly. Hope your little man is feeling better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Awww poor guy! Croup sucks. :-(

The good news is that the steroids help A LOT and pretty darn fast. There is also something they can give orally in the office (I forget what its called, but it might actually be a steroid come to think of it) that works in a few hours.

Usually croup is a summer/fall illness for some reason, but now that its winter you get the benefit of the cold air outside. If he's coughing a lot, bundle him up in a blanket and go outside for a few minutes. The cold air opens up the airways and helps the cough die down -- its seriously like magic. 

I hope he feels better soon! With the steroids, the cough should subside within a few hours. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  While it isn't normally, it is freezing here right now!  So, maybe we'll have a therapeutic wagon ride tomorrow, ha ha!  The steroids must be working well because he's been perfectly quiet tonight so far.  The past three nights he's had a hard time sleeping (not necessarily coughing but I guess he didn't feel well) so fx.
  • Options

imagelrn327:
    Thanks ladies!  While it isn't normally, it is freezing here right now!  So, maybe we'll have a therapeutic wagon ride tomorrow, ha ha!  The steroids must be working well because he's been perfectly quiet tonight so far.  The past three nights he's had a hard time sleeping (not necessarily coughing but I guess he didn't feel well) so fx.

Indeed! I'm glad he's sleeping better!

My sister was a chronic croup-er as a baby/child and I have memories of my parents sitting outside in the cold with her. Random.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

yuck yuck yuck! So sorry he's not feeling well!

B is sick now too...high fever (like 103-104) and a barking cough, but doc said it was too early to tell if it was croup. His fever has gone down since Thursday am when he got sick, but his cough has gotten worse. It sounds kind of "barking" but not really too unusual. So I'm hoping it's not! 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

Aw hope he feels better by the morning! I don't remember about the fever, but steroids work magically quick!!

My pedi told us about the cold air thing too- I guess if you can go from a hot steamy bathroom then out into the cold, that's the best. It "breaks" the croupy cough for some reason. 

GL!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Oliver had it when he was 11 months. My doc said the cold air reduces imthe inflammation that causes the crazy cough. She said never use the warm humidifier.
  • Options

A had it last spring and it was a tough one on her. We ended up at the Children's hospital ER for steroids and breathing treatments, the next day she was just as bad off so we had to go back with her and spent the night. If I recall correctly it was a good week before she was well enough to go back to daycare and I back to work. I can't recall if that was the illness with the really high temps or if that was a different virus....they are starting to blend together.

Hope LO is better soon. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• Options
    Poor C!  DD has croup at 9 months old.  It took us 4 days and 2 trips to the pedi to convince them that she had croup and not a cold.  She had a nasty cough and was running low fevers.  Once they gave her the steroid shot he symptoms cleared up within 24 hours.    Hope you have the same results!
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Options
    Thanks all, he seems SO much better today.  He did insist on wearing his Thomas pjs to breakfast this morning (just a coffee shop) but I think that it was b/c they were so comfy, not because he felt bad.  We even stopped by the playground and a live nativity so I think the coldness really helped too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"