January 2011 Moms
Options

Sports and your toddler

So my iz has been doing sumersaults in the house and is pretty high energy. I was thinking of trying to get her involved in something like gymnastics. Are you getting your tots involved in any organized activities?

If so what and why...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sports and your toddler

• Options
    Not yet, but I definitely plan on it. We only have one car so I'm waiting to enroll her after DH deploys. I already have a tumbling class picked out for her. It's 2-3 year olds only, so all the other kids will be about the same age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've thought about gymnastics or something similar.  She does the same thing, somersaulting around the house.  DH is not into it though. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So... speaking of gymnastics, I found that the gym near by does offer open gym with teachers for 2-3 year olds and its only 5 dollars with no reservation. super excited about this!
  • Options
    I keep saying Kain needs gymnastics as well, he empties his crib to jump in it like a trampoline, and does somersaults all day.   Where we live there is no place that offers gymnastics either.  I have signed Kain up for swim lessons though it is a parent in the pool and just about getting them use to the water, going under and such.  He starts in January. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We'll probably start Joshua with Ice-Skating lessons when he is 3.  He has a couple of small hockey sticks & a spatula that he plays with all the time hitting balls around the house.  The rink won't let them take Learn to Play lessons for hockey until they are 5.  By then he should be a good skater. 

Of course he may surprise us and want to play soccer or basketball.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We've been going to The Little Gym for about a year now. Started right before JT started walking. It's great - they have mats all over, the kids sing, do different excercises with an instructor (like forward rolls, hanging from the high bar, walking on the balance beam, etc.) but they are also encouraged to explore the gym on their own 2. My DH has been taking him on Sundays since I had the little one but they offer 2 practice classes per week included in tuition so I try to take him every now and again. The age range in this particular class in 19m to 2 1/2 years old.

We also did an art class for toddlers. It was an 8 or 10 week course in a pre-school. They started the class out with playing or textile exploration (a big bin of rice on one table with toys and funnels and such, another with beans, another with sand) and then did a craft. Well, mostly I did the craft but  by the end JT was no longer trying to eat the glue. And after the craft, they finished with singing and dancing. It was fun and I think we're going to sign up again in January.

That's all for now. Oh, there is also a big indoor playroom type place that we've been to a few times and he loves it there. They have a trampoline with a bar attached to hold (kind of like he does in his crib) so I bought him one for Christmas for the living room. I hope it keeps him off of my couch! He already hurt himself pretty bad once so now I'm super nervous with him bouncing on the couch. 

• Options
    My kid is a monkey and climbs on everything so I've been looking into gymnastics just to get some energy out in a safe way. However, I'm not sure we can afford to do it right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"