December 2010 Moms

coughs?

Because Christmas is right here, and this is the way kids work, Alexander woke up today with a high fever, runny nose and cough. Do you use medicine in these cases? I did give him advil to bring down the fever slightly because he seemed uncomfortable.  But any cough or cold meds? Or natural remedies?
photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: coughs?

• Sorry A is sick : we are battling it too. A and I both have cough and congestion for the last week. Today was the first day he had a fever. We just use the nose frida and Kleenex to keep his nose clear, humidifier at night and Tylenol and Advil for fever/body aches. I don't think we can use cough medicine until they are 5 I think but idk for sure. If he still has a fever I have to have him seen by the pedi before we do daycare Wednesday though or they will just send him home sick. Which stinks since I'm about 90 sure that's where it came from.
    For home remedies I make soup, I don't think his throat is sore but if it was we would do some warm honey or lemon water. And just lots of snuggles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just do the Nose Frida for runny noses, humifier at night, Tylenol for a fever if any and plenty of fluids.  But a big No to cough meds for this age group. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hylands makes a natural cough/cold medicine that worked great for my DD for this age group....check it out
  • Aww sorry A is sick! Hopefully he gets better asap!

G had the flu last weekend and his nose is still runny now. B woke up today sick:(. I kinda feel crappy too. Ugh!

Advil is all I did for G and B.
  • Vicks makes a product like a plug in. You put in a thing filled with Vicks goodness and plug it into the outlet. It fills up Noah's whole room with the smell of Vicks and I think it really helps him when he's feeling crappy. Hope A is feeling better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we're going through this too...B came home from day care at 10 am on Thursday with a 103 fever. We've been alternating Motrin and Tylenol every 3-4 hours. Otherwise, he'll just cuddle with you and look like he's comatose. Won't eat or drink anything. When meds kick in, at least he'll drink/eat a little and be able to semi-function. Wants to watch a lot of TV and chill.

I am definitely pro-meds - especially 2 days before Christmas!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• It's just not Christmas unless someone in the family is sick!  My coworker said she's not had a Christmas without a sick kid since her first was born 30 years ago!  :)  Nate has the 102 fever and cough also.  I just gave him some Motrin about five minutes ago.  We also do the baby Vicks on his feet with socks and on his chest at night.  A humidifer can help.  Really not much you can do for a virus at this age.  Hope he feels better soon!  Nate's is about 90% better today after two days of a really high fever, so maybe your LO will have the same virus.  It's short lived.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sorry A is sick. :( I actually came on here to ask the same question.. we are using humidifer, NoseFrida, and saline spray. A girlfriend of mine told me to use children's Benadryl but after consulting Dr Google, I'm hesitant. He wouldn't nap yesterday, and was up at 430 this morning because of a stuffy nose. Ugh.
  • I recently picked up something for colds, cough and mucus that is homeopathic from CVS. All natural ingredients, and for ages 2 and up. I do think there are some options out there.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Sorry A is sick!  C is just getting on the mend from croup so I understand how you feel.  For regular coughs, we usually do Vicks and socks on the feet at night, plus a humidifier.  We use the Nose Frida still some too if we really think it will help.  Finally, we've starting giving C a spoonful of real honey.  It really helps him!  We used the Little Remedies honey medicine too (homeopathic) but he hated the taste.  I wouldn't hesitate to use Advil/Tylenol if it might help but no real cough meds.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry A is sick! Both of mine are sick w/ colds/nasal congestion, too - they caught it from my lovely husband, lol.

DS just has a little cough, but I've been blowing his nose non stop! (I picked up some Puffs Plus). We're of course also doing vapor rub on his chest, J&J vapor bath, humidifier, saline nasal spray & tylenol, too.

I have to ask, though - what's the deal with vick's on the feet? I've never heard of that!

• imagebosha711:

Sorry A is sick! Both of mine are sick w/ colds/nasal congestion, too - they caught it from my lovely husband, lol.

DS just has a little cough, but I've been blowing his nose non stop! (I picked up some Puffs Plus). We're of course also doing vapor rub on his chest, J&J vapor bath, humidifier, saline nasal spray & tylenol, too.

I have to ask, though - what's the deal with vick's on the feet? I've never heard of that!

People swear by this as a cough remedy!  My MIL (NICU nurse) told me to do it and then the school nurse told me to do it and then my pediatrician told me.  I was never really given a reason why, just that it works.  You know what?  It works!  I think it's just less messy than on the chest, but works the same - breathing in vapors.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"