March 2012 Moms
Options

NBR: Would this bother you?

I had difficult pregnancies in the sense that I was sick the ENTIRE time. I never gained much (13 lbs w/DD1 and 6 w/DD2). I was a normal weight when I got pregnant, and then once DDs were born, I would drop the weight pretty quickly. After DD2, I have had a lot of stressors in my life, and migraines to boot. So, my appetite is pretty much gone. I am almost 20 lbs less than when I got pregnant with DD2. So around work the women are gossipy, and they all have something to say about my weight. Normally, whenever someone says something snarky about my weight, I just brush it off. Let me ask you guys this:

If I thought someone was overweight, I would never talk to them about it, like, WOW, you really packed it on, or GASP, ask them how much they weigh. So why is it ok for everyone to talk to me about how thin they think I am, and how much do you weigh, you are so thin. For the record, I'm 5'6 and 118, so no where near gossip worthy, Lindsay Lohan weight loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Would this bother you?

• Options

Yes, it would bother me. The only acceptable "talk about weight" I find acceptable is, "Wow, you look great! I would never have guessed you had two kids!" Or some other form of complimentary convo.

Never ask how much someone weighs. And never talk about it behind their back. Even behind their back, the only acceptable weight talk should be complimentary.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options

I agree with Countrygrl. They are probably jealous because they cant lose their flab.

photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As someone who battles with weight it would bother me! In high school I gained a bunch of weight. I went from being skinny to being bigger when I went on BC. And one of the guys I worked with asked if I was pregnant. It killed me. I was never super huge but I am chubby. I always got made fun of for my weight by guys. It really killed my self esteem. Even now that I am engaged I won't have (tmi..) sex with the lights on because I don't want SO to see me naked. I am overly self conscious because of everyone talking about my weight. So yes, it would bug the hell out of me. And it goes both ways. There are skinny people who can't gain weight but ry and get made fun of. It's not right. My IL's make fun of overweight people all the time. They call SO fat and he weight 200 and is just about 6 ft. He is not fat at all. He has a little (and I mean LITTLE) beer belly from college. And it bugs me some people can't help it. Due to sickness, things happening in life, etc.

Hope they stop! It just adds to the stress of life. One thing many people don't need! Good luck!

Sorry for getting carried away. lol. Like I said I know how it feels to be made fun of for it. So I feel strongly about people talking about other peoples weight. Like PP, the only things okay to comment on weight is that someone looks good. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was just being overly sensitive. I have been at both ends. I have been chubby and super thin. When I'm happy, I gain weight. When I'm unhappy or stressed out (like right now), I lose weight. I get that people are going to talk behind my back, because that's what people do, but to actually ask me how much I weigh? I turned it back on one woman, and said, "I don't know, how much do you weigh?" She looked at me like I was the btch!

MrsLynne - I have gotten it both ways. I had a guy who didn't want to date me because he thought I was getting to thin, and a lot of guys who didn't want to date me when I was chubbier. I think there is a guy for every body type. Your SO obviously loves your shape, so you should too~ You look beautiful to me.

• Options
    Yeah, totally not cool! They're jealous!
  • Options
    Yes! That would bother me. I am the same height as you and never weighed more than 115lbs until I was 22 or so. People would just come out and say things like "do you eat?" or "are you anorexic?". My thoughts were exactly what you said, it is not acceptable to comment on a persons weight either way.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I feel you on this.  It bothers me, too.  People comment on how thin I got.  But, as my threads on the board have shown, mine's from being sick after having A.  So I always respond with "Trust me, being as sick as I've been made the weight loss easy." and it makes people shut up.  You don't have to air your business, but you could always try something like that.  Make them feel awkward.
  • Options
    That would bother me. Even compliments about how thin I am now bother me. I know people are just trying to be nice, but it makes me think they didn't think I looked that great before, for one thing. The other thing is, like you, my weight loss has been unintentional. I don't like how thin I am now, and I'm actually hoping to gain a few pounds when I can start eating normally again [I'm on a restricted diet for DS who is MSPI for those who can't see siggies]. I think weight should just be off limits for casual conversation.
  • Options
    imageacaudill75:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was just being overly sensitive. I have been at both ends. I have been chubby and super thin. When I'm happy, I gain weight. When I'm unhappy or stressed out (like right now), I lose weight. I get that people are going to talk behind my back, because that's what people do, but to actually ask me how much I weigh? I turned it back on one woman, and said, "I don't know, how much do you weigh?" She looked at me like I was the btch!

MrsLynne - I have gotten it both ways. I had a guy who didn't want to date me because he thought I was getting to thin, and a lot of guys who didn't want to date me when I was chubbier. I think there is a guy for every body type. Your SO obviously loves your shape, so you should too~ You look beautiful to me.

Thanks! I actually forgot I was in my siggy pic. 

• Options

imagerocknrollfriend:
    That would bother me. Even compliments about how thin I am now bother me. I know people are just trying to be nice, but it makes me think they didn't think I looked that great before, for one thing. The other thing is, like you, my weight loss has been unintentional. I don't like how thin I am now, and I'm actually hoping to gain a few pounds when I can start eating normally again [I'm on a restricted diet for DS who is MSPI for those who can't see siggies]. I think weight should just be off limits for casual conversation.

With some people I know, when they tell me I look great, there's a tone that reveals the subtext of "you looked like s**t before."

I agree that weight should be off-limits. I feel like there is an increasing lack of tact in today's social interactions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"