December 2010 Moms
Options

He's stopped eating again

I'm going to pull my hair out.  We've been doing so well, but for the last month G has been eating less and less.  Over the last few days it's down to almost nothing.  I'm straight up freaking out.  Trying to insist he eats is just making it worse.  He's drinking his milk.  And, if I give him a sugar cookie he eats it.  Which makes me think this is some weird power play. I was in tears yesterday remembering the months he wasn't eating and how awful it was.

Someone talk me down or tell me I need to do something.

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13

Re: He's stopped eating again

• Options
    Oh that stinks!
    I've gone through this with both boys.
    With both, the more we insisted or encouraged the worse it got.

With o we just gave him a plate of food and milk or smoothie and let him do his thing. I never gave him sweets until he started eating again. Then I'd be like... Oh you ate such a good dinner! Would you like a cookie? It took a little less than a week for him to get back to a regular eating pattern.
    If it lasted longer than that I would have talked to the pedi. He is already small.
    Good luck, keep us updated.
  • Options

Deep breathes, girl!

Get him to eat what you can for now. If he only wants cookies load those things up with veggies and what not. There are lots of recipes out there to make 'healthy' cookies. Keep doing the milk too since he seems to be doing that just fine.

If the food strike keeps up then definitely go back to the dr to discuss some options. 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OK, take a few breaths!!  He will not starve himself, and making food a struggle is just asking for issues.  Like PP suggested, make some fruit/veggie alternatives for him.  Offer nutritious foods, and then just let him eat or not eat.  I am serious. Just tell him "It's dinner time"  or "It's snack time" and put it out.  Let him be. 

P is a good eating most of the time.  If we push her at all (and by we, I mean DH & my mom) she pushes back.  That's one of their only worldly controls.  

It is possible that he is getting teeth or something else.  In any case, don't make meals a fight, it won't end well.  Also, just giving him sweets won't help either.  I know you want him to eat, but I don't agree with the "it's better they eat crap food than nothing" philosophy at all. 

• Options

My G fights eating sometimes, and while I don't worry too much since she's pretty robust, I still persist a bit to try to get her to eat.  I've started playing a few games with her at the table that seem to help/work, if you're interested.  I take away her plate, give her a wooden puzzle that she likes (without the pieces), and give her a puzzle piece after each bite I give her.  We can go through multiple puzzles this way when she's in the right mind frame.  The other "game" I sort of stumbled upon is to have her babydoll at the table, and ask her to show baby how to eat broccoli, potato, meat, broccoli again, potato again, etc.  She gets so into she asks for her fork back so she can give baby some, then it's "Grace's turn" and she finishes the bite.  When G's tired from a long day at daycare, or just in a crappy mood, sometimes these games are the only way I can get her to eat anything.  I don't know if these will help you any, but maybe they'll get your brain juices going on other ways you can wheedle G into eating a few bites. 

Good luck and deep breaths!!!

• Options

I am so right there with you. December has been the absolute worst eating month for Alexander ever.  Yesterday, for the ENTIRE DAY, he ate a chicken nugget and 3 segments of a clementine. And that was it.  I also broke down and cried several times this month.  I know exactly how much pressure is on us to get these kids to eat since they are below the weight chart. I know that A is the same weight as he was at 18 months and I am going to totally get sh!t for it in 3 weeks when we go to his 2 yr checkup.

One thing that has worked for us SOMETIMES is putting food directly into his hand. Sometimes he looks down and is like, Oh, I must have picked that up, and then he eats it. Weirdo.

Let me know if you want to talk (PM me). I feel like you and I have a lot of the same pressures since weight has always been an issue with our guys.

ETA: And I totally understand the "eating crap is better than nothing".  I know it's not right, but when your kid is literally eating nothing, you feel like they are going to die. So you are like, "Well, this cookie has an egg in it..."  I mean absolutely no offense to bumpies who say they never give junk food even when kids don't eat, but I don't think they have kids who are literally eating nothing the whole day.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options

I don't know that I have any good advice, but I have lots of hugs and sympathy.

Is he filling himself up on milk?  On the weekends I limit his milk to after waking, after nap, and before bed.  All other times he drinks water.  During the week at daycare he gets milk after breakfast and after lunch.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

Thanks so much ladies.  I didn't mean that to be a PnR but then I realized I was late for an appt.

I will try your suggestions and I appreciate your calm reasonableness!  I know that I need to stop making this a power struggle but it's so dang hard when you just got lectured by your pediatrician yet again.  I think I must be pms'ing, too, because I am just completely emotional about it. 

Time to put my zen on.  

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options
    imagekj07:

I don't know that I have any good advice, but I have lots of hugs and sympathy.

Is he filling himself up on milk?  On the weekends I limit his milk to after waking, after nap, and before bed.  All other times he drinks water.  During the week at daycare he gets milk after breakfast and after lunch.

The little stinker only drinks about 8-10 oz of milk on a good day, so I don't thinkso.  You never know, though. 

Thank you for the hugs and sympathy!

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options
    imageCheekers2010:

Thanks so much ladies.  I didn't mean that to be a PnR but then I realized I was late for an appt.

I will try your suggestions and I appreciate your calm reasonableness!  I know that I need to stop making this a power struggle but it's so dang hard when you just got lectured by your pediatrician yet again.  I think I must be pms'ing, too, because I am just completely emotional about it. 

Time to put my zen on.  

See, at this point I would have words with my pedi.  He has been consistent on HIS growth curve, right?  There is no reason to make you feel so bad about this.  I am totally serious too - I would have words, and probably start looking for a new one.  That is completely unfair. 
  • Options
    imagesofamonkey:
    imageCheekers2010:

Time to put my zen on.  

See, at this point I would have words with my pedi.  He has been consistent on HIS growth curve, right?  There is no reason to make you feel so bad about this.  I am totally serious too - I would have words, and probably start looking for a new one.  That is completely unfair. 

Ugh.  I should. He's actually above his curve.  He was down to the 2nd % or something and now he's up at the 12th.  Although I think the measurement was generous because he had clothes on.  But, still...

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options

imagejillybean800:

I am so right there with you. December has been the absolute worst eating month for Alexander ever.  Yesterday, for the ENTIRE DAY, he ate a chicken nugget and 3 segments of a clementine. And that was it.  I also broke down and cried several times this month.  I know exactly how much pressure is on us to get these kids to eat since they are below the weight chart. I know that A is the same weight as he was at 18 months and I am going to totally get sh!t for it in 3 weeks when we go to his 2 yr checkup.

One thing that has worked for us SOMETIMES is putting food directly into his hand. Sometimes he looks down and is like, Oh, I must have picked that up, and then he eats it. Weirdo.

Let me know if you want to talk (PM me). I feel like you and I have a lot of the same pressures since weight has always been an issue with our guys.

ETA: And I totally understand the "eating crap is better than nothing".  I know it's not right, but when your kid is literally eating nothing, you feel like they are going to die. So you are like, "Well, this cookie has an egg in it..."  I mean absolutely no offense to bumpies who say they never give junk food even when kids don't eat, but I don't think they have kids who are literally eating nothing the whole day.

I do understand, really.  And I am NOT trying to add any stress to you.  P has been super small her whole life too - she isn't even 23 pounds.  Fortunately, her pedi has been supportive.  I just don't understand how the doc can lecture you like that.  I mean, he has been consistent the whole time, right?  We have weeks at a time where P eats so little.  It was a huge stressor for us.  I just decided to not worry that much & force it.  I don't know what she has going on, and lord knows she won't tell me.  

As much as I try not to worry, I do.  I just try not to make my stress something she can read.  So, I just let her do what she deems necessary from what we offer.  Sometimes, it's nothing for dinner.  She plays, she's happy, she's growing, she's learning.  There isn't much I can do really.  

I will say that I'm glad you ladies can relate.  It is a huge help to have gone through this the past 2 years with you.  

• Options

I am so sorry, Cheekers. I know how stressful it is to get the kid to just eat SOMETHING!

Even when DS is willing to eat, he whines that he wants help & we have to feed him his food b/c he refuses to feed himself. Nearly every meal is a fight! We are constantly bargaining with him to eat a bite - like, "take a bite & I'll give you your toy", or threatening him - "eat your food right now or you're going to your crib to sleep!" It's definitely the wrong approach, but it's out of desperation.

And as much as I tell myself not to push him, he'll eat if he's hungry, etc etc, I still can't seem to loosen up about it. I am really thankful that our pedi said his weight was ok yesterday b/c I would really be at a loss as to what else to do to get him to eat more.

So, big hugs for you & I will keep my FX that G is just going through a phase right now & will start eating better soon.

• Options
    imagesofamonkey:

imagejillybean800:

I do understand, really.  And I am NOT trying to add any stress to you.  P has been super small her whole life too - she isn't even 23 pounds.  Fortunately, her pedi has been supportive.  I just don't understand how the doc can lecture you like that.  I mean, he has been consistent the whole time, right?  We have weeks at a time where P eats so little.  It was a huge stressor for us.  I just decided to not worry that much & force it.  I don't know what she has going on, and lord knows she won't tell me.  

As much as I try not to worry, I do.  I just try not to make my stress something she can read.  So, I just let her do what she deems necessary from what we offer.  Sometimes, it's nothing for dinner.  She plays, she's happy, she's growing, she's learning.  There isn't much I can do really.  

I will say that I'm glad you ladies can relate.  It is a huge help to have gone through this the past 2 years with you.  

Ditto!  I would literally be losing my mind if it wasn't for you all. 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options
    imagebosha711:

I am so sorry, Cheekers. I know how stressful it is to get the kid to just eat SOMETHING!

Even when DS is willing to eat, he whines that he wants help & we have to feed him his food b/c he refuses to feed himself. Nearly every meal is a fight! We are constantly bargaining with him to eat a bite - like, "take a bite & I'll give you your toy", or threatening him - "eat your food right now or you're going to your crib to sleep!" It's definitely the wrong approach, but it's out of desperation.

And as much as I tell myself not to push him, he'll eat if he's hungry, etc etc, I still can't seem to loosen up about it. I am really thankful that our pedi said his weight was ok yesterday b/c I would really be at a loss as to what else to do to get him to eat more.

So, big hugs for you & I will keep my FX that G is just going through a phase right now & will start eating better soon.

Thanks Bosha!  I hope so.  It makes me terrified to go through this with  another oe.  I hope your DD is an awesome eater.

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options
    imageCheekers2010:
    imagebosha711:

Thanks Bosha!  I hope so.  It makes me terrified to go through this with  another oe.  I hope your DD is an awesome eater.

thanks! That's actually one of my threats, lol - "You better learn to eat your food or else pretty soon your sister's going to eat it!" 

• Options
    imagebosha711:
    imageCheekers2010:
    imagebosha711:

thanks! That's actually one of my threats, lol - "You better learn to eat your food or else pretty soon your sister's going to eat it!" 

LOL!

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options

I do NOT understand why your pedi is lecturing you.  He is above his curve. How does that make sense?  

I'm sorry I don't remember, but have they done blood tests to rule out any physical issues?  Because if they didn't, and your pedi is so concerned that he is lecturing you, then maybe he should try to figure it out!  If they have run the tests, and everything is fine, then WTF does your pedi think you can do about it??  

I'm really irritated for you.  I know Jack hasn't had the eating problems that G has, but he has definitely had periods of poor eating, and it is extremely stressful.  I'm sorry that your pedi is making it even worse.  :(  ::big hugs:: 

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    image--halo--:

I do NOT understand why your pedi is lecturing you.  He is above his curve. How does that make sense?  

I'm sorry I don't remember, but have they done blood tests to rule out any physical issues?  Because if they didn't, and your pedi is so concerned that he is lecturing you, then maybe he should try to figure it out!  If they have run the tests, and everything is fine, then WTF does your pedi think you can do about it??  

I'm really irritated for you.  I know Jack hasn't had the eating problems that G has, but he has definitely had periods of poor eating, and it is extremely stressful.  I'm sorry that your pedi is making it even worse.  :(  ::big hugs:: 

They did some blood work last year, I'm not sure what.  It was fine.

I'm just super sad that this is an ongoing stress.  Ugh!  Thanks for the hugs and support! 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

• Options

Aw I'm sorry!!! What is his weight at now, if you don't mind my asking? My lil' guy is 24lb 9 oz. He's been from the 75th% at birth, down to the 4th% at one point. Currently our pedi says he's at the 15th%. She's never said boo about it. He's growing and that's the main thing. 

I had asked what she thought, b/c he is a horrid eater. Also will eat cookies no problem, though! Now our guy will drink milk ALL DAY if you let him- he hates water. We've been forcing it on him and switched to skim from whole. 

She also told me DO NOT worry- they will NOT starve themselves to death. She said to not make it a power struggle, and don't bother bargaining or bribing them at this age- they can't understand it. She said to serve his dinner, and if he doesn't eat it, reheat it later and try. Still a no-go? He goes to bed hungry, and maybe eats better in the morning!

HTH even just a little. Have you thought about meeting with another Pedi? It seems like some are concerned and some aren't for very similar situations. GL!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageKellina:

Aw I'm sorry!!! What is his weight at now, if you don't mind my asking? My lil' guy is 24lb 9 oz. He's been from the 75th% at birth, down to the 4th% at one point. Currently our pedi says he's at the 15th%. She's never said boo about it. He's growing and that's the main thing. 

I had asked what she thought, b/c he is a horrid eater. Also will eat cookies no problem, though! Now our guy will drink milk ALL DAY if you let him- he hates water. We've been forcing it on him and switched to skim from whole. 

She also told me DO NOT worry- they will NOT starve themselves to death. She said to not make it a power struggle, and don't bother bargaining or bribing them at this age- they can't understand it. She said to serve his dinner, and if he doesn't eat it, reheat it later and try. Still a no-go? He goes to bed hungry, and maybe eats better in the morning!

HTH even just a little. Have you thought about meeting with another Pedi? It seems like some are concerned and some aren't for very similar situations. GL!!

Thanks so much!  I think your pedi gives great advice.  Im really trying to take a step back.  So hard when you just want to get food in them.  

He weighed in at 24.2 lbs.  it's a little inflated because he was wearing his clothes (no shoes). 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"