Parenting after a Loss
Options

Naps on belly?

DS usually wakes up between 10 to 20 minutes after I put him down for a nap. I remember DD loved to nap on her belly, so I decided to try it. It's like a miracle! He had 3 awesome naps today, each over 2 hours. Part of me feels like an awful mom but the other part feels like I am helping DS get much needed rest. I keep the monitor on him and watch and listen like a hawk. He is a strong 8 week old and can lift and turn his head no problem.

Am I the only one who does this? I hear my doctor saying NEVER do this, but my sis and I both slept on our bellies and we did just fine. For the record, I don't do this at night, since I can't watch him while I'm sleeping. Plus at night, knock wood, he sleeps fine on his back usually.

Am I a bad mom??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Naps on belly?

• Options
    For the first few months of DD's life she took naps on her belly. I would lay her in my bed and just watch her sleep or do other quiet things at that time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I personally didn't let DD sleep on her stomach until she started doing it on her own around 9m I think. I was too paranoid.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your not a bad mom. And my DS sleeps on his tummy for naps. My MW oked this when she saw him try to flip over at 2 weeks and how he was lifting his head back and forth to follow me. My kids didn't get the time line of a newborn they want to be 4 months old at 6 weeks and a year at 6 months. I will say do what works for you and your family and don't let timelines set your plans let development be your guide.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I do the same thing you do. Naps during the day on his belly in the family room and sleeps on his back in his crib at night. We have been doing this probably since he was 2 weeks old. I watch him like a hawk too. It doesn't make you a bad mom.

If it makes you feel any better, my LO takes his naps in the playpen my mom used for me. I am 42. Others might side eye my decision but honestly, I don't really care. Smile

=BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • Options

I don't think you are a bad mom, like PP said, it is your judgement call.

I guess my only thought is, if, God forbid, something bad happened, even if it wasn't because he was on his tummy, would you always wonder?

I personally wouldn't touch allowing DD on her tummy until she could roll herself.  Even then, my ped said to put her on her back and if she rolled, she rolled, but not to start her on her tummy.  

Also, incidences of SIDS have decreased since you, your sister (and I ) were put on our tummies to sleep.  There are many things they know more about now than when we were kids.  They think it is because of the "Back to sleep" campaign to place infants on their backs. 

• Options
    imagedotmbc:
    Like you said, babies slept on their bellies for many many years and most were fine.

Well, actually since the Back to Sleep campaign was launched to encourage babies to be put to sleep on their back, SIDs cases have decreased by 50 percent! That's a pretty big improvement I think. I don't know if your sentence is really that comforting...I really think that if the AAP suggests putting babies to sleep on their backs, it is the smart thing to do. We always tell women to follow their Dr's advice while TTCAL....why do the opposite when we are talking about our babies?

Sorry OP, but I just cringe when people encourage others to ignore advice from Doctors.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"