Health & Exercise
Options

tightening the pooch?

I run almost every day and am working on getting down to my goal weight. I know that I probably need to hit goal first (140lb 5'7)  I'm 161 right now.

On top of running, I also do pilates and yoga.  I just can't seem to get my abs back in shape. They've always been my "problem" spot. 

Any tips on getting abs back after kids?  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: tightening the pooch?

• Options

This has always been my problem area and just now, at nearly 40 and 18 months after having a child am I finally starting to get it under control.  From all that I've read and what I've heard and have been told, diet is a big part of it.  And I think this is why I'm slowly but surely starting to see some results.  I've cut out a lot of the bad crap (we won't talk about what I just had for breakfast and really watch what and how I eat in addition to exercise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My measurements are similar to yours, and my children similar in age. And the pooch is my biggest problem, too. I've actually come to terms that it will never be the way it was pre-baby, and I am ok with that - but what works for me is a low-carb higher protein diet combined with at least 45 minutes of cardio and weights 4-5 times per week. Of course, I can rarely find the time to work out that much these days, so I do what I can - I focus on my diet, which is easier for me than fitting in an extra workout. I do ab work whenever I can, but it doesn't do much for me on it's own - it's the workout combined with the diet that is the only thing that works! Also, some women will always have the pooch, even super skinny women, if their ab muscles separated during labor, which happens a lot!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I run also, 3x a week. For me, just cardio won't do it. I need some type of weight workout.

I do Physique 57 on DVD at home. It's amazing. It's completely gotten rid of my muffin top, plus you can see a six pack starting on my abs. Very cool since pre pregnancy, I definitely did not have six pack abs. I would highly recommend it. I went to the studio to buy the DVD but you can order them from amazon. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks Ladies. Its nice to know I'm not alone. 

I really don't have access to weights. Our gym in our complex is lacking in that respect. Thats part of why I run so I'm at least getting cardio. I got 2 cases of weightloss protein powder from my mom so I'm going to start adding those into my day as meal replacement.

I've given up soda, so I'm hoping to see some change from that too 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you can, I would definitely advise investing in a set of weights. I started with 3 and 5 pound weights and now use 6 and 8 pound weights. As I get stronger, I purchase the next size up. 

However, you can get away with household items in a pinch, such as soup cans and soda bottles. You could even fill empty milk containers with water to simulate certain weights. With Physique, the weights are only used in the first 10 minutes for your arms. They've done wonders for tightening and strengthening my arms - but you can skip that part if you want.

The only other supplies you need are a playground ball (which your LO probably has), a chair to simulate a ballet bar and a yoga mat. If you needed to, you could use your LO's foam letter mat with a towel over it.

also - if you don't want to invest in DVD workouts, your cable system's exercise TV channel probably has stuff you could do. There are many many options. You can even look up abs specific workouts online, print them out (or download to your phone) and take to the gym with you. 

• Options
    I'm this close to just accepting the fact my tummy will never be the same.  granted going up to a size 14 when pregnant and now finally down to my beginning size 4 has caused a major difference when it comes to pooch.  BUT  i'm still not totally satisfied.  when i sit down it looks like a deflated balloon, which is why i'm thinking its either extra skin or loose abs.  right now i'm working on ab ripper x and going to start jillians 6 week 6 pack next week along with 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weight lifting.
  • Options

Don't give up vlagrl! Your stomach can be better post pregnancy. I was a size 0 pre pregnancy and am now a 00 with no muffin top. It is definitely possible.

And I gained 66 pounds when I was pregnant. It took 7 months to lose, but I got it all off . . . and then it continued to come off. I am now 13 pounds less than my pre pregnancy weight. It really is possible with exercise (cardio and weights) and eating clean.

Also changing up your workouts helps too. You want to keep "shocking" your muscles, especially if you are at a plateau. 

• Options
    imageLindsayNY:

Don't give up vlagrl! Your stomach can be better post pregnancy. I was a size 0 pre pregnancy and am now a 00 with no muffin top. It is definitely possible.

And I gained 66 pounds when I was pregnant. It took 7 months to lose, but I got it all off . . . and then it continued to come off. I am now 13 pounds less than my pre pregnancy weight. It really is possible with exercise (cardio and weights) and eating clean.

Also changing up your workouts helps too. You want to keep "shocking" your muscles, especially if you are at a plateau. 

wow, you must be tiny!  I had a c/section so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I weigh less than I did before pregnant and change up my routine all the time.  I just don't have the time to be in the gym 5 days a week like I use to.  I will just keep on keeping on.  and to think if we have another I gotta do it all over again. 

• Options

I had a c section too and we are also planning on having another . . . someday. Not looking forward to gaining weight again. At all. I don't deal well with weight gain. 

I am small boned with a small frame. I do have a hard time finding clothes sometimes. In jeans, I'm a 24 but could really use a 23 because they stretch out so much and so quickly! I feel like after a couple of wears they look dumpy in my butt :( Some brands make an XXS so that definitely helps.

I live in Manhattan and I really don't feel that tiny here just average size really compared to the other women in my neighborhood. A couple weeks ago, we took DS on a cruise and I felt really small there. Like by far the smallest adult on the boat

• Options
    imageLindsayNY:

I had a c section too and we are also planning on having another . . . someday. Not looking forward to gaining weight again. At all. I don't deal well with weight gain. 

I am small boned with a small frame. I do have a hard time finding clothes sometimes. In jeans, I'm a 24 but could really use a 23 because they stretch out so much and so quickly! I feel like after a couple of wears they look dumpy in my butt :( Some brands make an XXS so that definitely helps.

I live in Manhattan and I really don't feel that tiny here just average size really compared to the other women in my neighborhood. A couple weeks ago, we took DS on a cruise and I felt really small there. Like by far the smallest adult on the boat

I don't do well with weight gain either.  it really depresses me.  it really depressed me gaining 76 lbs with DD.  I'm going to be starting 6 week 6 pack by jillian and then i will try that physiq you were talking about.  looks interesting.  I figure my body will always be a work in progress 

• Options

Totally! I gained 66# with DS. I was miserable. Took 7 months to get it off. I pretty much started doing WW and walking as soon as I was home from the hospital. I went back to the gym the day of my 6 week appointment.I actually went there in gym clothes. 

I am terrified of getting pregnant with #2 mainly because of the weight gain. I was not comfortable in my own skin until it was gone.

You can definitely do this 90% of it is your own motivation. 

• Options
    imageLindsayNY:

Totally! I gained 66# with DS. I was miserable. Took 7 months to get it off. I pretty much started doing WW and walking as soon as I was home from the hospital. I went back to the gym the day of my 6 week appointment.I actually went there in gym clothes. 

I am terrified of getting pregnant with #2 mainly because of the weight gain. I was not comfortable in my own skin until it was gone.

You can definitely do this 90% of it is your own motivation. 

ha!  I was the same way. I was in the gym as soon as i got the ok from the doc.  I didn't do WW, I just counted calories and ate clean.  today alone was a lower body day workout for me plus about 250 abdominal exercises.  I'm just happy I'm back in my size 4 pants.  just muffin top control time:) 

• Options
    I had c sections with both kids and I have to say that the pooch is really tough to battle for us c/s mamas!  Do you notice that the pooch starts right over your incision? There is swelling that takes a long time to go down, and then don't forget that the drs cut through your abs! Keep working, it will happen
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekgopel:
    I had c sections with both kids and I have to say that the pooch is really tough to battle for us c/s mamas!  Do you notice that the pooch starts right over your incision? There is swelling that takes a long time to go down, and then don't forget that the drs cut through your abs! Keep working, it will happen

plus i have an awesome hernia right above my belly button the makes my tummy look even weirder.  it's not huge, but I got it when i was pregnant and i'm putting off getting it fixed.  when I wear tight fitting clothes I have to wear shape wear underneath to conceal it. I know for me it's loose abs because it's so jiggly. DH has a bit of a gut and i was trying to see how his skin felt compared to mine. His was pretty firm and mine seems loose.  so i'm not really aiming to loose fat, i'm just aiming to get tone or whatever that may be:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"