Military Families
Options

Baby On The Way BAH?

Planning On Getting Married <3 how much more is it on top of BAH for each child? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby On The Way BAH?

• Options

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

Put your info in there and will tell you how much you get with and without dependents.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Options
    Congrats on your engagement, your spouse will only get BAH based on one dependent-- either you after your marriage or your baby, whichever comes first. Doesn't matter if you have 9 kids, his BAH w/ and COLA W/ (if applicable) will only be for one dependent.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

BAH does not increase with each dependent. The SM either has dependent(s) or doesn't. It doesn't matter whether it's only a spouse or a spouse and 10 kids, the BAH is the same. 

The actual rate depends on rank and years in service. You'll need to read the mil pay charts to find out.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemommy072213:
    Planning On Getting Married <3 how much more is it on top of BAH for each child? 

this is another misconception of how the military pays BAH. Can you imagine if it was true that you got more BAH if you have more children? People would be abusing that like crazy. The only time I have seen house size be effected by family size is when you live on base.  

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Like others have said you only get BAH as either single or dependant.  So it does not matter if the military person has 1 or 20 dependents.  
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • Options

BAH is a with/without deal.  You either get it or you don't.  So your baby will not impact his BAH assuming you are already married.

COLA, on the other hand, does change with # of dependants (up to 5).  But you will only recieve COLA if you are living OCONUS (in a country with a higher cost of living or HI) or CONUS in AK.

Housing on base is often decided by family size.  For example, 2 kids usually gets you a 3br, 3 kids will get you a 4br (if available).  But that definitely depends on the availability.  One kid will pretty much change nothing in that arena.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    imagesweetpea2003:
    BAH is a with/without deal.nbsp; You either get it or you don't.nbsp; So your baby will not impact his BAH assuming you are already married.
    COLA, on the other hand, does change with of dependants up to 5.nbsp; But you will only recieve COLA if you are living OCONUS in a country with a higher cost of living or HI or CONUS in AK.
    Housing on base is often decided by family size.nbsp; For example, 2 kids usually gets you a 3br, 3 kids will get you a 4br if available.nbsp; But that definitely depends on the availability.nbsp; One kid will pretty much change nothing in that arena.
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

This is wrong. Both my spouse and I are active duty and we receive COLA for living in the SF Bay Area. Although there is OCONUS COLA as well. I can't make the link due up bump mobile but that dod website has the cola calculator.

Also the calculator asks for years of service and whether the member is with or without dependents... Therefore number of dependents does not matter.
  • Options
    I honestly think a lot of military families think you get paid more money the more dependents you have which is not true. Your BAH will go up only once when you get married, you don't get paid extra for additional dependents.
    TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • Options

imageCaliVal:
    imagesweetpea2003:
    BAH is a with/without deal.nbsp; You either get it or you don't.nbsp; So your baby will not impact his BAH assuming you are already married. COLA, on the other hand, does change with of dependants up to 5.nbsp; But you will only recieve COLA if you are living OCONUS in a country with a higher cost of living or HI or CONUS in AK. Housing on base is often decided by family size.nbsp; For example, 2 kids usually gets you a 3br, 3 kids will get you a 4br if available.nbsp; But that definitely depends on the availability.nbsp; One kid will pretty much change nothing in that arena. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    This is wrong. Both my spouse and I are active duty and we receive COLA for living in the SF Bay Area. Although there is OCONUS COLA as well. I can't make the link due up bump mobile but that dod website has the cola calculator. Also the calculator asks for years of service and whether the member is with or without dependents... Therefore number of dependents does not matter.

OCONUS COLA does take # of dependants into account.  Again, up to 5.  https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/colaCalc.cfm

You are right, CONUS COLA does not. https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/conusCalc.cfm

So I guess we're both half right. :)

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    imagesweetpea2003:

imageCaliVal:
    imagesweetpea2003:
    BAH is a with/without deal.nbsp; You either get it or you don't.nbsp; So your baby will not impact his BAH assuming you are already married. COLA, on the other hand, does change with of dependants up to 5.nbsp; But you will only recieve COLA if you are living OCONUS in a country with a higher cost of living or HI or CONUS in AK. Housing on base is often decided by family size.nbsp; For example, 2 kids usually gets you a 3br, 3 kids will get you a 4br if available.nbsp; But that definitely depends on the availability.nbsp; One kid will pretty much change nothing in that arena. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    This is wrong. Both my spouse and I are active duty and we receive COLA for living in the SF Bay Area. Although there is OCONUS COLA as well. I can't make the link due up bump mobile but that dod website has the cola calculator. Also the calculator asks for years of service and whether the member is with or without dependents... Therefore number of dependents does not matter.

OCONUS COLA does take # of dependants into account.  Again, up to 5.  https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/colaCalc.cfm

You are right, CONUS COLA does not. https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/conusCalc.cfm

So I guess we're both half right. :)

Touch? my friend.

• Options

imageCaliVal:
    imagesweetpea2003:

This is also true. We receive COLA. We are also in the SF Bay Area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• Options
    None. You get family bah. It doesn't Change from 1 dep. to 2 and so forth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"