C-sections
Options

9 months pp, incision pain with excercise

I've recently started going to the gym again and doing some light ab workouts. Today was my second day of doing some crunches and for the second time I have sharp pains low in my abdomen.  I'm guessing its my incision. Any idea of how long this will last? Do I just work through it? or do i just need more time?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 9 months pp, incision pain with excercise

• Options

I would start very slowly with the crunches. It will get better as your ab muscles gain strength. Do not push through any pain. Pain means, back off, fix your form and go more slowly.

So, for crunches you may do well to put your hands on your legs and use them for support rather than putting all of the pressure on just your ab muscles. You can also wrap a towel around your waist and pull with that if it works better for you.

These modifications are specifically for diastasis recti issues, but would work for cesarean issues as well.

https://www.momsintofitness.com/pregnancy-diastasis-recti-and-flat-stomachs 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Thanks!

I have been going pretty slowly. I actually hate doing ab workouts but just feel like my core is so weak right now I need to do something. I do planks and some Pilates inspired stuff too.

As for the crunches, I do them one sided. So, opposite elbow to knee, and the other foot is actually planted. I've never had much core strength so I'm starting really slow. And I only do 20 per side maybe twice a week.

I don't get the sharp pains during the exercise though. I get it later, in the evening. I'll be fine all day, turn and them bam! Stabbing pain like i pulled a muscle.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keep your feet down. That's a lot to start with. And add variety. You don't want to just work your obliques!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I think that's probably pretty normal - but I still plan to ask my doc about it. I'm actually on this board today because I went to the gym at lunch and after running 3 miles I went to do some crunches and my incision area hurt and was sore. So I only did 10 crunches and stopped. And I'm over a year out, but  I just started working out again since I stopped nursing. I never had time to work out at lunch before since I was pumping on my lunch hour. Anywho....take it slow and gradually gain your strength back. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• Options
    Honestly, I am 19 mth PP and my scar still hurts me a lot. I had a difficult recovery and my scar got infected and tore many times so I have areas that are scarred over more than most. From time to time, the worst areas still hurt (like currently) and I still get pain in the stomach area above the end of the scar where the last stitch was. I assume it is due to scar tissue since I have had ovary surgery and have dealt with such pain before due to scar tissue that grows inside of you afterward. Its natural and with each person it is different. With time, it'll get less noticable or you will just get use to it. But do take it slow as you are getting back into your normal schedule or adding new things.

imageimage
  • Options

imagehmhiggin:
    I don't get the sharp pains during the exercise though. I get it later, in the evening. I'll be fine all day, turn and them bam! Stabbing pain like i pulled a muscle.

Thats sounds like scar tissue ,just like i get!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"