March 2012 Moms
Options

This again?

So I was at my work Christmas lunch and the topic of childbirth came up. Somebody said "just ask cmsdouglas about her epidural - she said she didn't feel a thing!" (Which is true - it was magical)

Well one coworker shouted "Oh no! Nobody should get an epidural! Childbirth should hurt!" I mean really? If I were less confident in my decision it would have really hurt my feelings! And then another coworker piped up with how her son almost died because she didn't have an epidural and coworker number 1 was full of bs.  It turned into a heated argument.

I thought I left this behind after Jane was born. All I could do was turn to my other neighbor and start up a conversation about the weather.  Sheesh!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: This again?

• Options
    People should learn to keep to themselves but they never do :( Its your body... do what you think is best for you. I would have said something back to them but I am in a mood today. I AM SO READY FOR THE WEEKEND!
    photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • Options
    The beauty of the whole childbirth thing is that we all end up with a BABY!  Doesn't make a bit of difference how he or she comes into the world.  Just like the whole breast vs bottle thing became obsolete pretty quick (or will very soon when our babes turn 1).  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBreanneL24:
    Did the coworker that said "no one should get an epidural" ever have a baby? Because not even those in the natural birth world believe that!

She has two children. And what really gets me is that during my whole pregnancy, she constantly told me how much she hated being pregnant. Over and over she told me how much she disliked the whole process. I, on the other hand, loved being pregnant. It was a wonderful experience for me. I also actually really enjoyed my birth experience. I really admire women who don't get an epidural and I can understand the point of view that childbirth hurts and we should experience that pain; but I definitely don't think it's a necessity for childbirth. I don't love my baby any less because I got to enjoy her entrance into the world!

Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox. It just really shocked me that she would be so vocally scornful when I obviously made a different choice.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That would annoy me to no end.

I am not an epi person but let me tell you, when I had to have the spinal for the emergency c-section, that immediate stop of pain was amazing. I am slightly considering an epi with the next one. Smile

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options

Having had an epidural with both girls (the first ended in a c section, and the second I did a VBAC and the epidural failed!!!), I can honestly say that I could have done without the pain. I still got a beautiful baby at the end of it all, but I am not a person who suffers well. I was moaning like a dying animal, and I couldn't even enjoy the moment DD2 was born because I was so exhausted and in pain and scared out of my mind. They put her on my chest and I loved her, but I wanted her off of me and to go to sleep. I think, for me, I would have had a better "birth" experience with her if I hadn't felt every effing contraction for 21 hours straight. There are some women who burp and their baby falls out. Great for them. There are some women who enjoy the pain because it is what they feel they were meant to do. There are some women who believe the medicine screws with their kids brains. I didn't get a medal for doing it practically au natural (in fact, I got two hours in the OR while they tried to stop my hemorrhaging). I did get my girls, and they were born healthy and safe. Isn't that all that matters?

• Options

OH GOD people like that annoy me. Every one has the right to their own opinion...but when people say things like that, I just want to slap them. You made the decision for you and your baby.

I was depressed for a few months after Jonathan was born because I had an emergency c-section. I was induced for 2hours before they decided it was time to take him out...heart beat dropped so low, it was second time it happened, I had HELLP, I was at hospital at 11am, had Jonathan at 3pm same day! I was really depressed about not being experience natural birth, and holding my baby the second he was born. And people have literally had the nerve to say to me..Doctors are C-Section crazy now..they call c-sections for no reasons sometimes, when you should really fight for yourself and what you want, and say no. WTH...first of all I am NOT going to tell my Dr. NO..he is the expert not me...and second of all when dr says your baby is under stress and HELLP is dangerous for both of us, we need to get him out ASAP..YOU WILL SAY YES!!! DO IT NOW! I was really hurt by her comment because I was still said with my birth/labor experience. I am fine with it now, and happy, and totally understand why things happened the way they did.

Some people just don't have any concerns for other people's feelings, makes me so ,ad!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    I know it wouldn't be very Christian of me, but I think I'd have a hard time not punching your coworker in the face and telling her that that was supposed to hurt, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"