December 2010 Moms

I saw a nutritionist today

I was telling her that I didn't love the fact that the physicians assistant pushes butter, saturated fats etc because of the low weight. She said she disagrees with pushing butter, whole milk, etc after 2. She said low fat milk has more protein than whole milk and now that the brain development is not as rapid, protein is a priority. She said for increased fats she recommends Avo and olive oil of course but suggested flax seed oil as well. I had never thought of that. She said don't cook with it because it's not a cooking oil but it doesn't taste so you can add it to cereal, smoothies, milk, etc. I am going to try it for both boys. Certainly can't hurt!

Re: I saw a nutritionist today

• Great idea!
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Hmm, that's a nice idea, but I disagree about the "no taste" aspect of flaxseed oil. Back in my bodybuilding days I tried adding it to protein shakes to get my EFA's, but it made the shakes taste terrible. Even if it was tolerable when I first opened the bottle, that stuff turns rancid VERY quickly, even stored in the fridge. The only thing I was able to eat it with was salad, and that was by mixing it with some very strong vinegar. Granted, this was 10 years ago, so maybe the process for making flaxseed oil has improved. If you find some that truly doesn't have a taste, then please let me know! It's a great idea in theory.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetiffanyp:
    Hmm, that's a nice idea, but I disagree about the "no taste" aspect of flaxseed oil. Back in my bodybuilding days I tried adding it to protein shakes to get my EFA's, but it made the shakes taste terrible. Even if it was tolerable when I first opened the bottle, that stuff turns rancid VERY quickly, even stored in the fridge. The only thing I was able to eat it with was salad, and that was by mixing it with some very strong vinegar. Granted, this was 10 years ago, so maybe the process for making flaxseed oil has improved. If you find some that truly doesn't have a taste, then please let me know! It's a great idea in theory.

Great info. I will let you know. I think I'll start with a small bottle so we use it up quickly... In case the taste does change.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"