Pregnant after 35
Options

When can I get excited...high risk.

The father  has a mild form of spina bifida (no symptoms) it's called spina bifida occulta,   his brother has a sever and debilitating form and his nephew does as well.  So, we are "high risk". 

I also am over 40, my youngest child of three is 9, so I was not expecting this surprise...and my age puts me "at risk".

I am ticking along now at 11 weeks.  Baby heartbeat was good yesterday at 166 bpm. 

I have had some bleeding that was red, they found it was from subchorionic bleed, there was a clot in there by the placenta.  That seems to be better now, no bleeding in two weeks.

I am getting all kinds of tests b/c my boyfriend wants all of those tests due to the  defects in his family (also MS). 

I have been so sick and tired and I will be glad when I feel better and when I know this baby is going to be a healthy baby. The whole amnio thing scares me and I am just hoping we get good news in these next several weeks b/c we have not told his family (just some of mine and a few of my friends). He wants to be sure things are going to work out before he tells his family. 

It's hard to not be excited, but hard to get excited too.

Re: When can I get excited...high risk.

• Options
    I think many of us on this board have been in a similar frame of mind-- it's hard to get excited when part of you fears that your baby may not make it or may have a severe health challenge. Nobody wants to get their hopes up and then have them crushed, even if you weren't trying to get pregnant.

Hang in there and take one test at a time. If you've haven't been taking folic acid and/or eating your foods high in them, get on that asap-- that's a huge part of preventing occurrences of spina bifida. And I may be totally wrong on this, but I believe the higher rates of spina bifida are related to factors on the mother's side more often than the father's side (not to discount that factor, however). As well, nowadays, there are some forms of spina bifida that can be repaired while the fetus is still inside you that can greatly decrease the severity or side effects of the condition.

Feeling sick and tired are all good signs-- it means your body is doing what it should! Good luck and keep us posted!
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"