Baby Showers

firing your host?

Is there a pilot way to fire your babyshower host? Mine is 19 years old, (i'm 21) but doesn't seem to be doing anything, i'm planning (I offered to order the invites since I had free cards to shutterfly) but i seem to be doing everything else, and I know this girl, I'm afraid she'll make me pay for everything. I have someone else whose offered to throw it for me, but when I told her that this girl is throwing it, she asked if they could "throw it together" and they all said yes, but now none of them are getting together. I'm just getting nervous that I'm going to end up doing everything, hosting, being the 'guest of honor' and paying for it... :(

Re: firing your host?

• No, you can't fire her.  And stop planning your own. 

And FWIW, this is a pilot:

This is polite:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto PP's -- you can't fire your hostess.

If they wind up not getting it together then you simply just won't have a shower.  I know that might be disappointing, but plenty of MTBs do not have showers.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • When is the shower? Its not uncommon for the host to not tell you every detail. They might ask your opinon, but thats about it. I am a type A and like to take control of everyhing, but at the end of the day this is their gift to you and you need to let them host.
  • imagesjgurl784:

No, you can't fire her.  And stop planning your own. 

And FWIW, this is a pilot:

This is polite:

This.

It is tacky and gift grabby to plan your own shower. If the hostesses aren't planning anything, just assume you are not getting a shower. After that, I would start the process of buying stuff for your LO.

• Um, you don't. Just because she isn't leaping when you yell frog or seem proactive by your standards doesn't mean she doesn't have a handle on hosting the shower.

If she gets you punch and cake in her backyard then just smile and say thank you.

You sound really ungrateful and self centered with this post. Ick.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• OP, yuck. You need to take a major step back. This is not your party to plan, and since it is not yours to plan, you are not guaranteed a shower at all - although you seem to think otherwise. Rest assured that whether you have a party or not, those of your friends who want to do so will buy you gifts.

And what does anyone's age have to do with anything? Am I to take your advanced age - 21 - to mean that you are clearly better suited for the job than your 19-year-old hostess? Weird. And ick.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can definitely decline the shower but then if no one offers to host instead, you don't get a shower at all.  You can't plan your own.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • someone who steps in to host; should be planning it all. Take a step back, and let her handle it. How long do you have until your shower? I'm sure it'll be fine, and everything will work out. Give your friend your other friends number, and they can plan it together. My sister was one of the hostesses for my bridal shower; and she had no clue what to do (she was 19). I had to guide her through everything she was responsible for (games and decorations). She had 2 older women helping her as well, so it worked out. I'm sure this time around she'll do a great job, i'm just sending her my pinterest board ideas, and letting her run with it. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Why would you need to fire her?  It sounds like she already quit.  How do you know she is not doing anything?  Offering to get her free invites is fine...but beyond that you don't want to be doing anything else except supplying the guest list (once you find out how many they can afford).  Do all of your friends report to you on their daily activities...I mean how else would you know they are not getting together.  Or are you assuming things because you are not in the loop?  Don't spend any money on your shower at all and just use what you have to purchase what you need for the baby.  If they follow through with the shower then have fun and enjoy your moment in the spotlight.  If they don't then have a "meet the baby party" after your baby is born (that you can host yourself!).

BTW...please do not DD because you've gotten a lot of good advice.

• Donald Trump style.  Always klassy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • When you have to clarify ages (because it matters OHSOVERYMUCH), I automatically stop reading.
    I'm just going to go with my blanket "You're being tacky" statement.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"