C-sections
Options

RCS and breastfeeding...

I'm not pregnant with #2 yet, but a topic of conversation in our house is whether I'll try VBAC or have a RCS. I've been leaning towards the RCS for awhile since we'd be able to plan to have my parents here to help with DD the day of delivery (we're military so we have no family close by).

I had an emergency c-section with DD at 39 weeks 5 days and was able to nurse her for 7 months. Nect time I want to try and go even longer (hopefully a year or more). A friend of mine just delivered her 2nd via RCS at 39 weeks and 5 days after delivery her milk still hadn't come in.

Is this normal with RCS? Your body wasn't ready for the baby to come yet so your milk takes longer to come in?

Any advice or experience would be great.

Re: RCS and breastfeeding...

• Options

Not generally. Your milk production will start when the hormones are released from your placenta detaching.

Problems can happen if there is retained placenta, if you are taking certain medications (specifically for high blood pressure) and for a variety of reasons that I do not know!

But, most often a c/s should have very little effect on your breast feeding relationship. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I had an RCS at 30 weeks and my millk came in earlier than when I went into labor and ended up with a C-section the first time around.  I think it all depends on the person but in most cases it is fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had 2 c/s and didn't have any issues with my milk coming in.  I breastfed both girls for 14 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first was born at 28w4d and my milk came in on day 3. My second was born at 38w1d and my milk came in on day 3. Milk coming in is based on a release of hormones, not if the body was ready for the baby to come out.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Not really. How you deliver doesn't make a difference with BFing normally.

I'm BFing baby #4. I have EBF all the other kids. My last was BF until 15 months. Probably will be longer with #4. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Oh, and as for when my milk came in:

With #1: Day 4

With #2: Day 3

With #3: Day 2.5

With #4: Day 2.5 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Thanks ladies. I really want to give the best to #2 so I was worried about it.

• Options
    I had an unplanned c/s with DD at 40weeks 3days. My milk came in on day #2. I'm still BFing her. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had a scheduled C-section at 39 weeks and my colostrum came in right away and milk came in 3 days later. 
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Options

imageLucyD1029:
    I had a RCS and my milk came in on day 2.  I nursed as soon as I could after the surgery and then every 2 hours after that.  My milk didn't come in until day 5 with DS, but once it did I didn't have any issues.

Did you have to supplement at all those first 5 days with your DS while you waited for your milk to come in? I just really don't want to have to do that.

I had a lot of trouble nursing DD in the begining (I was cracked and bleeding) and she didn't make it back over birth weight for weeks. Luckily I had a pedi that didn't pressure me to give formula and just kept telling me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Thanks ladies.

• Options

I had a c/s due to failure to progress with DD1. She was born 10 days late, and my milk came in on day 4. We nursed for just over 3 years.

DD2 was going to be an attempted vbac, but I never went into labor. She was born via RCS at 40w2d. My milk came in on day 2, and we nursed until 27 months. It would have been longer if I hadn't gotten pg again.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"