Food Allergy

Do reactions go away on their own?

My DD has suspected dairy, berry, and confirmed cillin/cepholosporin allergies. The last was her worst reaction yet after 1 dose - the rash/swelling/itching lasted for a week.

Last night she got back from her dad's was playing then started rubbing her head on me back forth, I noticed her cheeks were red and bumpy, when to put pjs on and her body looked like the drug reaction and she was more itchy then started to whine/cry/scream. I looked to her book where her dad writes down what she ate and it said yogurt and raspberries twice that day. I called the nurse-line, they said go to urgent care, I packed her up and went. On the way she stopped replying to me - I got to the point where I was yelling her name and pulled over due to no reply. I woke her up and continued to drive. When we got there I had to put my hands on her cheeks and slowly move her head back and forth for her to wake. 

We got inside, met my folks, and she was not as red, body reaction gone, smiling/just fussing - so my mom "convinced" me we didn't need to be there after I checked in because it might take all night, DD was tired, and seemed OK with no breathing distress. Do reactions go away on their own like that? Do you think she was just that tired that she didn't respond well? Time lapse of noticed reaction to "normal" was maybe 2 hours.  

Re: Do reactions go away on their own?

• They do sometimes go away on their own. We were always told to give Benadryl for a reaction like that so I would've given that first before heading out. At any rate, I'm glad it did clear up. It's hard to know if the lack of responsiveness was a symptom or just tiredness. I'd call her pedi or allergist today to check in and see what they think.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • They can but they can also get worse.  If she has confirmed allergies, she should have an Epi just in case.  We always carry Benedryl with ours too so it's always on hand.  Why did her dad give her two things she's allergic to btw??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelrn327:
    They can but they can also get worse.  If she has confirmed allergies, she should have an Epi just in case.  We always carry Benedryl with ours too so it's always on hand.  Why did her dad give her two things she's allergic to btw??

Nothing confirmed - but nothing I am willing to try until I do take her to an allergist. Her dad and I are not together, I have told him multiple times, multiple ways no dairy - I don't know if he doesn't believe me, doesn't care, or doesn't know yogurt is dairy. The berries were a small reaction around the mouth to Gerber food at like 5-6 months  - I never tried them again of course but I may have not had that on her list of not to eat foods. 

It is a sad fact that he is just now around, it's mostly his mom visiting, and we also had to tell them recently to stop using baby powder. I have asked for them to take a class but they refuse.  

• imagecjchio:

Reactions can start to clear up, but you have no way to know if there will be a biphasic reaction. I always stay to get a once over, and a shot of meds.

Reactions can cause severe drops in blood pressure, her lack of response could have been from that. Seriously, at that point call an ambulance. 

ETA: Do you have an epi? 

Thank you for the info on the BP, I am just dealing with a lot of different yet possibly connected health issues - my hat isn't on straight.

No epi, as even AFTER her drug reaction that the pedi called allergic reaction, no allergist referral from there. Luckily, EI recommend an ENT and swallow study - and I can/will most likely get a referral from them after forcing those recommendations - or genetics in Jan. 

• That sounds scary to me. I would absolutely be seeing an allergist the very next day! Confirm any allergies, get an epi, and keep Benadryl on hand and definitely give any time you see a reaction like that happening again! After that's all squared away the father and whoever else is regularly caring for your baby need to be highly educated. Allergies are no joke. GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"