3rd Trimester

Hospital Bag-What's the Best Item

STMs (or more) What item that you brought from home was the most useful or appreciated during your past hospital stay?

FTMs If you've read the general lists of what to bring, are you bringing anything extra?  If so what?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Hospital Bag-What's the Best Item

• imageyecal262:
    My boppy.

And already I feel stupid for not thinking of this!  I'm guessing it's easier to use the boppy when you're tired or recovering.

• Loading the player...
  • So I just started making my list yesterday and one thing I didn't bring last time that I think I'll add this time is a nursing cover.  That way you can nurse whenever and not have to feel like you need to turn away guests.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A comfortable robe. It was so nice to throw it on when guests where there or if I wanted to go for a walk around the floor during labor. DS was in the NICU, so it was also helpful when going up to see him.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• My own shampoo, conditioner and body wash... otherwise you get to use their all in-one soap. Also slipper, robe and sweats.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My top 3:

A pillow- Hospital pillows are flat and lame. I bought a cheap pillow from Walmart (the $3 kind), used it for my hospital stay and tossed the thing on my way home. Especially useful for an extended post-cesarean stay.

Chapstick- I didn't have any my first time around and my lips were so chapped after delivery. I was begging for chapstick and it took the rest of the day for someone to finally get me some.

Hairties- Another thing I didn't have the first time around. Being able to brush my hair back into a low ponytail or braid made me feel presentable.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I packed pj's to change into after I get cleaned up, and a coming home outfit (comfy fleece pants, nursing top and sweatshirt), make up for pics after I get out of recovery, books, ipod, camara with batterys, snacks, a towel because the hospital ones are super thin and small, boppy, socks, slippers, robe to wear over the hospital gown while laboring so I dont flash people while moving around, aloe vera face wipes for when/if I get sweaty and feel gross, toiletry items (toothpaste, shampoo etc).   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so glad I brought my own soft bath towels and face cloths from home, the hospital towels were rough, it would have been uncomfortable to wash/dry my sore crotch with them!

Next time I'll definitely bring a travel size shampoo/conditioner - my hair must have looked so awful, I had to wash it with bar soap!! No one was really looking at me, anyway.

I'm really glad I packed 5 sets of pajamas.  I was only in for two and a half days but I bled through a couple of them and I wouldn't have had anything else to change into.

• imageanneimal98:
    So I just started making my list yesterday and one thing I didn't bring last time that I think I'll add this time is a nursing cover.  That way you can nurse whenever and not have to feel like you need to turn away guests.

You are so smart!  This is another item I didn't even consider (even though I packed my pump, nursing pads, and tanks).

• imageOhSewCrafty:
    A comfortable robe. It was so nice to throw it on when guests where there or if I wanted to go for a walk around the floor during labor. DS was in the NICU, so it was also helpful when going up to see him.

I never factored in a NICU stay.  Were you discharged before your DS?  Did you wish you had packed more for him?

• I had to send my hubby home to get me more PJ pants. Wish I had brought a few pairs because its a messy process and I bled all over the first ones I put on lol. Not so pretty when your walking the halls.
  • image526SadieSadie:

I'm so glad I brought my own soft bath towels and face cloths from home, the hospital towels were rough, it would have been uncomfortable to wash/dry my sore crotch with them!

Next time I'll definitely bring a travel size shampoo/conditioner - my hair must have looked so awful, I had to wash it with bar soap!! No one was really looking at me, anyway.

I'm really glad I packed 5 sets of pajamas.  I was only in for two and a half days but I bled through a couple of them and I wouldn't have had anything else to change into.

Holy cow!  How did I not think of this?  I know what I need for the discharge part, but if I have a vaginal birth my crotch is going to hurt so bad.  Is there anything else you'd reccomend for the soreness?  I'll have a mini fridge/freezer in my hospital room, so I'm going to pack an extra ice pack just for down there.

• imagepuppy_love6969:
    I had to send my hubby home to get me more PJ pants. Wish I had brought a few pairs because its a messy process and I bled all over the first ones I put on lol. Not so pretty when your walking the halls.

How many did you originally bring?  I was thinking 3, but I'd rather overpack than have to send DH away.

• I didn't bring all that much with me for DD:

comfy loose clothing, slippers, camera, boppy, toiletries, nursing bras, snacks.  I may have brought my own pillow (but I honestly don't remember).  This time, since I'll be delivering in February, I will also bring a robe - it will keep me warm and be easier to breast feed than wearing a sweatshirt/long sleeve shirt.  Hospital food isn't great - so snacks are good for you and hubby both.

I pretty much used everything that they supplied postpartum - mesh underwear, pads, ice packs, sitz bath, towels. 

Don't bring a pump (the hospital should have one available for you to use if you have to - you may want to double-check though).  It's just one less thing to worry about.  My milk didn't really come in for a few days, so nursing pads weren't really necessary for me either.

DH also packed a few things in my bag - toothbrush, 1 change of clothes, Tums, Tylenol.  I think that he enjoyed being able to freshen up after delivery, and we packed some OTC meds just in case he needed them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Chapstick!  My lips were so dry last time.

2. Warm socks

3. Shampoo/Conditioner/Body wash:  they only have the all in one kind.  

• imageOhSewCrafty:
    A comfortable robe. It was so nice to throw it on when guests where there or if I wanted to go for a walk around the floor during labor. DS was in the NICU, so it was also helpful when going up to see him.

This! I hated having to wearing a hospital gown in front and then one on backwards to keep my butt covered up. My big fluffy dark colored robe is packed away!
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • imagegraciesmurf:

imageOhSewCrafty:

I never factored in a NICU stay.  Were you discharged before your DS?  Did you wish you had packed more for him?

Yes - I was discharged after 3 days, he stayed for an additional 10. Could have been worse! He came at 34w 5d, so we had NOTHING packed for either of us. When they go to the NICU there really isn't anything they need right away and DH was able to go home and grab stuff. I'm packing my bag way early this time around. lol 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• imagegraciesmurf:
    image526SadieSadie:

I'm so glad I brought my own soft bath towels and face cloths from home, the hospital towels were rough, it would have been uncomfortable to wash/dry my sore crotch with them!

Holy cow!  How did I not think of this?  I know what I need for the discharge part, but if I have a vaginal birth my crotch is going to hurt so bad.  Is there anything else you'd reccomend for the soreness?  I'll have a mini fridge/freezer in my hospital room, so I'm going to pack an extra ice pack just for down there.

They make pads with ice packs in them. 

Oooooooooh yeah. 

• I lived in nursing tank tops at the hospital...and I second the recommendation of Chapstick! I also took candy. I craved sweets like crazy after delivery.
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagegraciesmurf:

imagepuppy_love6969:
    I had to send my hubby home to get me more PJ pants. Wish I had brought a few pairs because its a messy process and I bled all over the first ones I put on lol. Not so pretty when your walking the halls.

How many did you originally bring?  I was thinking 3, but I'd rather overpack than have to send DH away.

I brought one pair, thinking I was going to stay one night. Ended up staying 2 nights...so I went through 3 pairs of PJ pants.

• Most appreciated was my clarisonic. It just made me feel better.

What I most missed and didn't have, and will have this time, is my breast feeding pillow. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Boppy. Your own pillow and comfy blanket (I was so cold). Your own towel and shampoo/body wash/toiletries. Nursing Tanks. Chapstick. Laptop- we watched movies on it. 

I actually hemorrhaged so they were checking my pads every hour to make sure the bleeding hadn't started again so I never got to put pants on- I was in the hospital gown but was only there for 24 hrs so it wasn't a big deal.  

• It isn't another item that I am bringing but I downloaded a sound machine app on my phone.

I have a sound machine (white noise) that I use at home due to having tinnitis (ringing in the ears) and the sound machine will help drown out noises in the hallway etc.

I will also be bringing my own robe, nursing tanks, boppy, travel toiletries, hair ties, chapstick, pillow and blanket.

I am having a c-section so I am not packing pajamas. I will just wear the hospital gown with the nursing tank underneath.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is pretty shallow, but honestly it was my makeup bag! After 27ish hours of labor it felt really good to have makeup on my face to make me feel a little less gross. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"