Postpartum Depression

PPA ?

I was wondering if anyone on the board could tell me about PPA? I hear so much about PPD, but not much about the other. I've been having what I believe are breakdowns or panic attacks? I get really upset, anxious really, get really mad, then feel like I can't breathe and just confused. It happened tonight with DH. He kept asking what was wrong and all I could say was I didn't know.

Is OCD part of PPA? I am super obsessed with my baby and breathing. I literally check on him multiple timers during a nap. I have this irrational fear he'll stop breathing and I won't know it.

I had a miscarriage last fall right before this PG, and was only not PG for a month inbetween pregnancies. I do wonder how much this contributes to my general anxiety as a parent. TIA.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: PPA ?

• I had PPA with DS1, it's still very serious. I would call your Dr.

It is closely related to "egodystonic thoughts" ? Spelling. I had these as wel", they're a symptom of PPA. It's when you imagine terrible things happening to your child drowning, accidents, SIDS and they feel real and cause a lot of anxiety or panic attacks.

I used to be paranoid of losing my LO in the bed. I would wake up and think that he was lost in the sheets, unable to breate. Even when I realized he was fine, I was still very worked up about it. I also agonized about major decisions starting solids, vaccinations, erc an constantly felt I was making the wrong choice.

I did a 6 month course of Zoloft and it really helped.

ETA: sorry about the punctuation, I'm on my phone!!!

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• imagemamaREB29:
    I had PPA with DS1, it's still very serious. I would call your Dr. It is closely related to "egodystonic thoughts" ? Spelling. I had these as wel", they're a symptom of PPA. It's when you imagine terrible things happening to your child drowning, accidents, SIDS and they feel real and cause a lot of anxiety or panic attacks. I used to be paranoid of losing my LO in the bed. I would wake up and think that he was lost in the sheets, unable to breate. Even when I realized he was fine, I was still very worked up about it. I also agonized about major decisions starting solids, vaccinations, erc an constantly felt I was making the wrong choice. I did a 6 month course of Zoloft and it really helped. ETA: sorry about the punctuation, I'm on my phone!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have woken up, worried about this. I thought it was totally normal! I am definitley going to call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Loading the player...
  • imagemamaREB29:
    I had PPA with DS1, it's still very serious. I would call your Dr.

It is closely related to "egodystonic thoughts" ? Spelling. I had these as wel", they're a symptom of PPA. It's when you imagine terrible things happening to your child drowning, accidents, SIDS and they feel real and cause a lot of anxiety or panic attacks.

I used to be paranoid of losing my LO in the bed. I would wake up and think that he was lost in the sheets, unable to breate. Even when I realized he was fine, I was still very worked up about it. I also agonized about major decisions starting solids, vaccinations, erc an constantly felt I was making the wrong choice.

I did a 6 month course of Zoloft and it really helped.

ETA: sorry about the punctuation, I'm on my phone!!!
    I agree with all of this. Call someone please. I had PPD and PPA and the anxiety was worse. I had the same terrible fears and even more. Meds and therapy helps!! I still take meds and see my therapist once a month, but things are much better!! I have no experience with Zoloft though.
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I had PPA and definitely experienced parts of what you are describing.  Even though I consider myself "through the woods", I still check her breathing every night.  I was also OBSESSED with her health.  I kept thinking things were wrong with her, even though she is perfectly healthy.

OCD can be part of PPA.

I definitely think losses can play into it (I have had 2).  I think it makes us realize how quickly something can be taken away from us.

I would suggest seeking a therapist.  I know it was integral in getting me back to myself.

GL

• They can all go hand in hand. I had PPA, PPD, and OCD problems. The PPA was probably the most uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep and was freaking out all of the time. I couldn't relax. A lot of the same medications are used to treat all three. Call the doctor and you'll start to feel better! HAng in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was diagnosed with PPA & OCD. it all goes hand in hand. I had panic attacks and stopped sleeping. everytime I would drift off to sleep my body would jump (like when you feel you are falling off a cliff) and wake back up. talk to you doctor! I agree that medication & therapy has helped me a ton (it's been about 9 months now)

this website is super helpful! https://postpartumstress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely call your doc! I had PPA and PPD, and it was the worst experience of my life until I was able to get on medication. I took Ativan and a small dosage of Zoloft for a couple months until I got back on track. The panic attacks were the worst experience of my life. I would literally hide under the sheets and cry, scared to get out of bed. I didn't even want to go on. I hope everything gets better for you very quickly! <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"