Washington Babies
Options

Considering a move to Seattle

My DH is interviewing out there, and we haven't had an opportunity to visit yet. Can you all tell me about where to live that has lots of things to do (both for adults and kids), and close to public transportation? Do you love it out there? Any input would help! Thanks!

Re: Considering a move to Seattle

• Options
    We're just expecting, so not really sure about all the kid things. We moved here from IL 7 years ago and love it. We sort of chose to move here though. We love the warmer and more mild winters and less hot summers. The landscape here is beautiful and the mild weather lets you enjoy the outdoors during more months of the year. things here get started a little later in the day than in IL and people are a little more laid back in business and clothing choices. My parents are still in IL, but also love visiting here. Also, it actually rains more inches/year in Champaign than in Seattle. It is just more overcast here overall. When it does rain it is usually just misty/tiny rain RARELY the kind where your jeans get soaked just running to the car, like in IL. HTH
    Nestie Bio | ILL-INI!! | Felica Fibro - a fibromyalgia site
                 imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I've lived here most of my life and depending on where your DH would be working I highly recommend the Eastside for families. The better public schools tend to be there. Access to good medical care, shopping, and some places can even seem rural but you're not too far out KWIM? I love Woodinville, Bothell is great and areas of Kirkland, Redmond, Sammamish (though a little too surburban for my taste) and Issaquah. If you want to live closer to the city I think areas slightly north are better. There are many "neighborhoods" in Seattle and I'm not an expert at where the best ones for family are but I do like Wallingford. Great shops, restaurants, etc. I love it here. It's gorgeous. I love living close to the coast and traveling over to the Islands. There are lots of things to do, it's hard to go over it all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. DH is out there for his interview as we speak. So crazy!!
  • Options
    I've also lived here my entire life... Eastside is great I agree. Lived in Redmond for 3 years and it was nice. I now live in Queen Anne in Seattle and would recommend it as well as the Ballard, magnolia area. If you do move here keep in mind that traffic is HORRIBLE so live near work!! If he works Eastside live Eastside. If he works Seattle live as close to Seattle as possible. Money can be an issue.... I lived in Seattle and worked in Redmond Eastside before I got pregnant and it took me 2030 mins to get to work in the morning an 1hr 40 to 2hrs to get home every night. Lots of great communities in the greater Seattle area so I would keep that in mind the most.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imagebonjourchic:
    I've also lived here my entire life... Eastside is great I agree. Lived in Redmond for 3 years and it was nice. I now live in Queen Anne in Seattle and would recommend it as well as the Ballard, magnolia area. If you do move here keep in mind that traffic is HORRIBLE so live near work!! If he works Eastside live Eastside. If he works Seattle live as close to Seattle as possible. Money can be an issue.... I lived in Seattle and worked in Redmond Eastside before I got pregnant and it took me 2030 mins to get to work in the morning an 1hr 40 to 2hrs to get home every night. Lots of great communities in the greater Seattle area so I would keep that in mind the most.

It really seems that way! DH is interviewing with a company near Queen Anne, but I don't think we can afford to live near there! I was also looking at renting homes, and it seems like people want 2 months plus 1k for security deposits!! I am a landlord here, and that is INSANE!!!!

• Options
    Wallingford or Greendwood might be more affordable options with access to Queen Anne. They are pretty densely populated though so you might be better off with an apartment near a park than a house. Good luck getting things figured out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"