December 2010 Moms

Food Allergy Mommas come on in

One of the children who is coming to A's party on Friday is allergic to dairy, milk and peanuts.I called one of the vegan bakeries in town but they prepare all of the food in the same place so there is potential cross contamination with the nuts.  

His Mom told me Trader Joe's carries a lot of things he can eat but I was hoping someone would have some specific tips or foods.

TIA 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

Re: Food Allergy Mommas come on in

• Is it a really severe peanut allergy? Nate can eat anything that wasn't processed in a factory with peanuts.  He likes goldfish crackers and fruit snacks and oreos as junk food.  He's eaten some Little Debbie snack cakes with good results too, just have to be careful about the dairy in those.  We use lactose free milk and I make any homemade food with that. Fresh fruit and veggies with humus are always yummy.  Also tortilla chips or baked Lays are a favorite here.  Honestly, if we go somewhere, even to a party, I always take a little baggie of approved snacks with me.  I can't imagine expecting someone to deal with my kid's food allergies and make special food just for him.  You are a very nice person to take into account that this child has a food allergy.  :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • She may have meant that Trader Joe's is really great b/c they are awesome about publishing their allergy information.  So, while you may be able to find stuff at other places, TJ's will make it easy on you to decide if something is okay.  Just a heads up, I've discovered most of their holiday sweets must be processed in the same factory and have a peanut warning.  Blech!  We did find some cute mini waffle cookies that were okay though.  

I would definitely check them out though for snack food - cookies, crackers, etc.  C has both dairy and peanut allergies but can eat dairy if it is baked (like in a cookie) so you might ask the mom this.  That could make your job a lot easier!  Like Pitterpatter, C's peanut allergy has to this point allowed him to eat stuff from the same factory though we are careful about stuff made on the same line.  As a general note, you might want to avoid anything at all with nuts b/c the chance of cross-contanimation with peanuts is so high.  Also, at least in our area, their mini cupcakes are made on a line with peanuts so are a no-no for us.

And thank you for taking the time to care!  As an allergy-mom that deals with it each day, I really appreciate it.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both for the advice. He is such a sweetie and not yet two so he doesn't understand it and I cant stand the thought of him not having cake with everyone else so I am on a mission. I am so glad fruit and veggies were mentioned since that is easy and fun for everyone. The allergic reactions he has had have been pretty severe so I am going to be careful. I am going to try Whole Fooods e, the nearest trader Joe's is double the distance of whole foods. I really appreciate the responses and have so much respect for the legnths you have to go to in keeping your kiddos safe.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• We ordered cupcakes from Reasors for Nate's birthday and he ate them with no issues. Like pp said, Nate can usually eat cake as long as the dairy has been baked.  I think Reasors might be a regional chain of grocery stores though...  He's eaten mini cupcakes from Walmart too.  I just had to be sure to check the labels well.  They didn't say they were processed anywhere near peanuts and he did fine with them.  We take the epi pen and benedryl wherever we go because I am terrifed of new foods! :)  If you are up to baking, you can probably make a few cupcakes that are dairy/peanut free just for your allergic visitor.  Honestly, Nate takes his lunch to daycare each day while all the other kids eat daycare food and sometimes gets treats different from other kids, and I'm not sure he's ever really noticed.  As long as he has something yummy too, he's generally happy about it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not sure if you're up to making something, but I have a great recipe that works for us.  DD has a suspected peanut allergy (suspected because she had a reaction after having a peanut butter cookie, but is yet to be tested - we carry an epi and treat it as an allergy) and DH & I are vegan.  Makes for interesting birthday parties.  Anyways, here's a recipe that is pretty allergy friendly:

Dairy Free Chocolate Cake 

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    6 heaping tbsp cocoa powder

Add to this
    2 tbsp vanilla
    2 tbsp vinegar
    1 cup oil

Mix with a fork and gradually add 2 cups of water. Blend well. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Makes 2 round pans for layer cake or 1 large rectangular pan

I find it takes longer than 35 minutes but I haven't keep a good record of the actual time required. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"