International Bumpies

We survived our first visitor ;) and a couple questions...

My sister came to visit us from the States.  (I actually purchased her ticket as a Christmas/Birthday gift since she is still a broke college student) We had such a great time.  It was nice to show off our new home. 

DD did suprisingly well for being in a backpack carrier/stroller/carseat for a week.  The one thing DH and I noticed is we will probably most likely be taking our visitors to the same places...it could get old (and expensive) quickly!

So...when your family/friends come to visit what are you "expected" to do with them? Where do you take them? What is a typical day like? 

We already purchased annual passes to most of the castles/historical sites here in Scotland..but I was adding up the cost of my sister's trip and with food/gas/train tickets/hotel in Edinburgh...it added up quick! (although it was worth it!)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

Re: We survived our first visitor ;) and a couple questions...

• It's the same for us. Most of our visitors go to the exact same places. I'm pretty sure I can write guide books to Brussels, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Koln. I love it when we score a good deal on Skyscanner so we can explore somewhere else. (When my brother and his gf came, we scored tickets to Venice for 56 Euro a person. Sweet!) Either way, we have to budget almost as much for our vacations as we do visitors coming here!
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

• Adunkin, as you are in Brussels: have you taken your visitors to Gent yet?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, if we're talking about somewhere I've already been and have no desire to see again I have no problem sending guests off to see it on their own.  If it's free and doesn't require a lot of travel to get to I'll go with them, but I won't pay to see the same thing multiple times.
  • We live in the sticks so there isn't a lot to see.

That said, we try to do things we already have passes to like the historical railways and horse tram.

But mostly our visitors are here to see us because this just isn't a tourist hot spot and we'd have to book flights to go somewhere that is (Dublin, London, Edinburgh). We still end up spending more ??? than usual because we pay for any meals out and such. We're doing well financially and most of the people that have visited have stretched their budget just to get here and see us. Which I appreciate - having someone visit from home is almost like going home!

• Edinburgh is always worth it! :-)

We have done some sites multiple times but like Publius said, eventually you just let people do things on their own. A bit easier for me as I'm typically working so our parents just explore on their own. Otherwise, since guests are happy doing anything, you don't 'have' to take them everywhere. They're probably just as happy hanging out with you and having afternoon tea somewhere. And hiking is mostly free!

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • I totally understand - it got to the point where with visitors to see us (in London) I provided them with a document on my 'top recommendations' to see the city, then I just went to work every day and they explored on their own. I'd catch up with them at night and on the weekends I tried to plan things I hadn't done a million times.
  • I had a ton of visitors the year I lived in Berlin. In the 6 years since I moved away from Berlin, I haven't even had half as many as I had in that one year. I had no problem going with them to see the free stuff but sending them off on their own to do the English biking tour of the city (highly recommended by all my visitors if you're in Berlin, btw) or other things that I had no interest in seeing for the 50th time.

And honestly, with so many visitors it was nice to have a couple of hours to myself during the visits.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks for the responses!

We have a lot of definite visitors coming through next spring/summer so I will be keeping all of this in mind. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• imageElinetrouwt:
    Adunkin, as you are in Brussels: have you taken your visitors to Gent yet?

Sorry! Haven't been back to this thread for a while. And yes - we've done Gent a few times. I love to travel and explore so I can do most places several times with it's through the eyes of someone new. (And Gent is an easy train ride or car drive. PM me if you ever want to do a coffee in real life. haha)

______________________________________________________________________________

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Trying to conceive #2
    Me: 36 - slight DOR (AMH: 1.1), decent OAR; DH: 41 - Morphology 4%
    NTNP July-Aug 2014, ATTC Sept 2014-Present
    October 2014 - CP
    July 2015 - Clomid + #1 IUI = BFN
    September 2015 - Clomid + #2 IUI = CP
    October 2015 - Letrozole (5 follies - yay!) + #3 IUI = BFN
    November 2015 - CP
    December 2015 - CP
    February 2016 - Letrozole + #4 IUI = CP
    April 2016 - CP
    May/June 2016 - IVF #1 and IUI #5 (Estrace + Follistim + micro-hCG + HGH) = BFN

Struggled to conceive #1 2012-2013
    Me: Chronic Pain Condition since 2009, DH: Slightly Abnormal SA
    Clomid #1: March 2013 - BFN; Clomid + IUI: May 2013 CXL; BFP on 4/22/13 = Baby Boy #1 1/1/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"