Parenting

47 guns.

2»

Re: 47 guns.

• imageLovesMM:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageJ+MS:
    Is it bad if i just choose not to potty train until she's 3?

I'm counting on day care to handle this for us. We don't pay them for nothing.

My stance as well. We started DC at a good time. Wink

Also I worked in DC for years and have potty trained my fair share of kids. I don't feel bad in the slighted to let the DC take the lead here. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJMS:
    Cg, i can't quote you but thats exactly my point, she never posts but now here she is with her ranting. She could have added any of these comments to tge 18 threads about gun laws.
    I wasn't here for those. Jeez, JM. Tell me the designated hours in which I am allowed to post. I happen to have time this weekend, that's all.   .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHeather R:
    imageJMS:
    Cg, i can't quote you but thats exactly my point, she never posts but now here she is with her ranting. She could have added any of these comments to tge 18 threads about gun laws.
    I wasn't here for those. Jeez, JM. Tell me the designated hours in which I am allowed to post. I happen to have time this weekend, that's all.   .
    im just going to need you to keep it organized. I think I'm all gunned out, the debate is everywhere. 
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • imageRockyTopVols:
    imagegrr_aargh:
    You know, speeders don't mind speed limits. We should probably abolish them.nbsp;And drunk drivers don't pay attention to drunk driving laws. nbsp;Let's get rid of those too!Hell, some parents don't put their kids in carseats. nbsp;Please make sure we don't do anything like requiring carseats to leave the hospital. Also, WTF is this about watching how much fertilizer people buy? nbsp;Or limiting cough syrup purchases? And on. And on. And on. I'm so sick and tired of this conversation, which always ends up with gunnies clinging to their many weapons shrieking "My precious precious rights" while parents bury their cold dead children. You need to admit something this isn't about criminals being to obtain things illegally this is about YOU choosing your guns over public safety and allowing shootings like Aurora or CT as collateral damage to your refusal to have even the most basic, reasonable gun laws on the books. nbsp;
    Using your examples... It is illegal to speed. People choose to break the law and it kills people. It is illegal to drive drunk. People choose to break the law and it kills people. It is illegal to improperly restrain your child in a vehicle. People choose to break the law and it kills people. So if you make guns illegal... Now people will choose to abide by the law? Don't be so naive. Making guns illegal isn't going to make this utopian society with no firearms. I am all for stricter firearm control, implementing a national standard, and some kind of evaluation of potential owners. But then again, I am trying to keep an open mind. It seems like some people, on both sides, don't want to. They are dead set against compromise and discussion. It's their way or the high way and they use extreme imagery and hyperbole to try to prove their point. Sad.

I've not asked that guns be made illegal any moreso than cars or fertilizer.  My point is that when things are dangerous to society, we manage them - hence my line about basic, reasonable gun law.  

Many of us are saying the same thing while assuming the other person is saying something different.  If we can, collectively - gun owners and gun haters - come together to discuss what will make for smart policy changes, something will happen.  Until then, things like this will happen. 

• imageJ+MS:
    imageHeather R:
    imageJMS:
    im just going to need you to keep it organized. I think I'm all gunned out, the debate is everywhere. 

Why would I post an article from today's Tribune in a thread from earlier this weekend?  That's not keeping it organized.  :shakes finger:

SadTongue TiedSadTongue Tied

Come on now.  

I think none of us is quite herself right now, so we're all being or seeming (or both) more belligerent than we intend.

On the other hand, I think we (all of us, not just here, this whole country) needs to have a real dialogue about the climate we've created that these attacks are routine and not outliers, and we have to start by asking uncomfortable questions.  Let's set a good example here for our politicians who could stand to learn a thing or two as it is.

Now come on and hug it out with me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageHeather R:

imageJ+MS:
    imageHeather R:
    imageJMS:

Why would I post an article from today's Tribune in a thread from earlier this weekend?  That's not keeping it organized.  :shakes finger:

SadTongue TiedSadTongue Tied

Come on now.  

I think none of us is quite herself right now, so we're all being or seeming (or both) more belligerent than we intend.

On the other hand, I think we (all of us, not just here, this whole country) needs to have a real dialogue about the climate we've created that these attacks are routine and not outliers, and we have to start by asking uncomfortable questions.  Let's set a good example here for our politicians who could stand to learn a thing or two as it is.

Now come on and hug it out with me.

oh I agree, it definitely needs to be seriously discussed. I think i was coming here looking for a break from it. and I'm all for hugging. 
  • The memo didn't have a TPS report cover sheet, did it? 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I am just about at the point where I agree that something need to be done about guns.

However, what puts me on the side of saying we can't ban them completely is because the law abiding citizens wouldn't have a weapon but, the criminals would.  That wouldn't work out well.

• imageJ+MS:

No.  I didn't PT Emerson until three and it took me all of one day-no accidents.  I won't PT the babies until summertime.  They will be three in August. 

• imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    imageJMS:
    Did you not get that memo?

I tried to fax it, but the machine was jammed. 

PC COPY LOAD LETTER.  WTF DOES THAT MEAN? 

• imageougrad1:

imageJ+MS:

No.  I didn't PT Emerson until three and it took me all of one day-no accidents.  I won't PT the babies until summertime.  They will be three in August. 

i just don't think either one of us is ready.
  • imagegrr_aargh:

You know, speeders don't mind speed limits. We should probably abolish them. 

And drunk drivers don't pay attention to drunk driving laws.  Let's get rid of those too!

Hell, some parents don't put their kids in carseats.  Please make sure we don't do anything like requiring carseats to leave the hospital.

Also, WTF is this about watching how much fertilizer people buy?  Or limiting cough syrup purchases?

And on.

And on.

And on.

I'm so sick and tired of this conversation, which always ends up with gunnies clinging to their many weapons shrieking "My precious precious rights" while parents bury their cold dead children.

You need to admit something - this isn't about criminals being to obtain things illegally - this is about YOU choosing your guns over public safety and allowing shootings like Aurora or CT as collateral damage to your refusal to have even the most basic, reasonable gun laws on the books.  

Amen sister.  I am so sick of hearing about gun owners rights. What about the right to be safe in school, in a movie theater or a shopping mall.   
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We've got 2 shotguns and 3 rifles over here too.  Oh, and a handgun. 
  • Watching the Today Show today and the first 3 new stories I heard all involved shootings, including the kids in Newtown and 2 police officers killed in Kansas.

People feel powerful with their guns. I know we'll never ban them completely but if it is significantly harder for any person on the street to possess one, so many senseless acts won't occur. How many shootings are in the heat of passion, like road rage or a domestic dispute? Not all are meticulously planned out like these school shootings. Just a couple months ago an 18-month-old was shot and killed by a stray bullet playing on her front porch. These deaths are senseless and I know they will never stop completely but for the love of humanity we have GOT to start somewhere.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegrr_aargh:

You know, speeders don't mind speed limits. We should probably abolish them. 

And drunk drivers don't pay attention to drunk driving laws.  Let's get rid of those too!

Hell, some parents don't put their kids in carseats.  Please make sure we don't do anything like requiring carseats to leave the hospital.

Also, WTF is this about watching how much fertilizer people buy?  Or limiting cough syrup purchases?

And on.

And on.

And on.

I'm so sick and tired of this conversation, which always ends up with gunnies clinging to their many weapons shrieking "My precious precious rights" while parents bury their cold dead children.

You need to admit something - this isn't about criminals being to obtain things illegally - this is about YOU choosing your guns over public safety and allowing shootings like Aurora or CT as collateral damage to your refusal to have even the most basic, reasonable gun laws on the books.  

I haven't read most of the responses yet, but this is exactly how I feel. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• imagerobinsokj:
    We've got 2 shotguns and 3 rifles over here too.  Oh, and a handgun. 

omfgz arsenal!!!!!!

/sarcasm 

• imageRockyTopVols:

imagerobinsokj:
    We've got 2 shotguns and 3 rifles over here too.  Oh, and a handgun. 

omfgz arsenal!!!!!!

/sarcasm 

IKR?  

• I would say I'm a moderate when it comes to gun ownership.  I think we need more restrictions when it comes to buying guns.  Virginia has some of the worst gun laws on the books and that needs to change.  When people with a history of mental distress can legally buy a gun and kill 30 people at VA Tech, that should open some eyes.  But, years later, he still would be able to go purchase.  Nothing has changed and it's ridiculous. 

My husband, who is from a family of NRA members loves to hunt.  But, he fully agrees that not one single regular citizen needs a freaking machine gun.  

• I think there needs to be some federal mandate that governs all of the states in this regard.

In my state, with no firearm safety course, permit, or anything- I can walk into any store and purchase a rifle or a handgun. All it takes? A 15 minute background check to make sure I didn't do anything bad in the past (aka, checks for felonies etc). There is no "wait time", nothing. 

I have been mulling over testing this theory.

I have never owned a firearm (grew up with them in my parents houses). Last time I shot one was probably 10 years ago. 

I was thinking about recording a video of me purchasing a firearm and walking out in 20 minutes. With no safety class, no previous gun purchases, etc. I think it would be interesting to show just how ridiculously easy it is to obtain a firearm here. 

A buddy of mine (who does own firearms) walked into a pawn shop on Friday with me- and completely impulse bought a HK USP .45 handgun. All he had to do? Present his driver's license, wait 15 mins, sign a doc, and 20 mins later- we were out the door.

Something is wrong with that. 

• I shudder at the thought of a mountain lion coming after my face. Uncle has one mounted and it's claws are fuckings razor sharp. 
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageRockyTopVols:

I think there needs to be some federal mandate that governs all of the states in this regard.

In my state, with no firearm safety course, permit, or anything- I can walk into any store and purchase a rifle or a handgun. All it takes? A 15 minute background check to make sure I didn't do anything bad in the past (aka, checks for felonies etc). There is no "wait time", nothing. 

I have been mulling over testing this theory.

I have never owned a firearm (grew up with them in my parents houses). Last time I shot one was probably 10 years ago. 

I was thinking about recording a video of me purchasing a firearm and walking out in 20 minutes. With no safety class, no previous gun purchases, etc. I think it would be interesting to show just how ridiculously easy it is to obtain a firearm here. 

A buddy of mine (who does own firearms) walked into a pawn shop on Friday with me- and completely impulse bought a HK USP .45 handgun. All he had to do? Present his driver's license, wait 15 mins, sign a doc, and 20 mins later- we were out the door.

Something is wrong with that. 

Agreed.

On my way to work this morning I got to thinking about the whole "people don't need one for protection" stance that some have. Are they unaware that not everyone lives in a major urban setting? That there are still people who live in rural areas and the protection is not from other people? The owner of the property we were hunting on the other weekend was telling us about how he was out fixing fence and had a mountain lion come after him. Fortunately for him he had a gun on him and was able to protect himself. DH has had to use his bow to protect himself while out hunting, and the gun he takes with as well- and neither time was due to another human. Most farmers will take a rifle or a gun in the tractor with them, either to humanely kill an animal they accidentally wound because they don't see it and it got hit, or because they scared the crap out of something and it came running up the steps of the tractor to get in the cab with them.

Those things may not be commonplace where you live, but they sure as hell are here.

Agreed.  If it weren't for those people I would say "Ban them all."  But I realize they they are necessary for a certain way of life and that's why I think we should allow some, but make it hard to get.

• I've been pretty involved in the online gun debates (even before last week we were having a 2nd amendment debate on P&CE), and I haven't heard many people, if any, explicitly call for a ban on all guns.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that most people who want more gun control just want to limit the types of guns available and tighten the process required to purchase a gun.

It reminds me a bit of the NRA lobbyists and supporters.  They push their agenda partially based on the notion that their 2nd amendment rights will otherwise be taken away (you know, "buy guns now because soon you won't be able to!!!!11!!")  Meanwhile, no one is really trying to ban all guns.  So you have an defense based on a offense that doesn't really exist. 

• imageCoffeeBeen:

I've been pretty involved in the online gun debates (even before last week we were having a 2nd amendment debate on P&CE), and I haven't heard many people, if any, explicitly call for a ban on all guns.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that most people who want more gun control just want to limit the types of guns available and tighten the process required to purchase a gun.

It reminds me a bit of the NRA lobbyists and supporters.  They push their agenda partially based on the notion that their 2nd amendment rights will otherwise be taken away (you know, "buy guns now because soon you won't be able to!!!!11!!")  Meanwhile, no one is really trying to ban all guns.  So you have an defense based on a offense that doesn't really exist. 

I'm pretty sure the phrase that is tossed around is GUN CONTROL, not GUN ELIMINATION.

The NRA has its own agenda.  And it has very little to do with the 2nd Amendment.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Interesting factoid about the Aurora, CO shooter. There are 7 movie theaters within 20 minutes of his house. He chose the only one that bans concealed carry weapons. Hmm.... wonder why?
  • Here's some info about your friendly-neighbourhood NRA:

The amount of money available today for studying the impact of firearms is a fraction of what it was in the mid-1990s, and the number of scientists toiling in the field has dwindled to just a handful as a result, researchers say.

Chris Cox, the N.R.A.?s chief lobbyist, said his group had not tried to squelch genuine scientific inquiries, just politically slanted ones.

The dearth of money can be traced in large measure to a clash between public health scientists and the N.R.A. in the mid-1990s. At the time, researchers at the C.D.C. were becoming increasingly assertive about the importance of studying gun-related injuries and deaths as a public health phenomenon, financing studies that found, for example, having a gun in the house, rather than conferring protection, significantly increased the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

Alarmed, the N.R.A. and its allies on Capitol Hill fought back. Initially, pro-gun lawmakers sought to completely eliminate the National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, part of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which was for about a decade the leading source of financing for firearms research. The N.R.A. argued that its work was ?redundant? and reflected a political agenda. When that failed, they turned to the appropriations process. In 1996, Representative Jay Dickey, Republican of Arkansas, succeeded in pushing through an amendment that stripped $2.6 million from the disease control centers? budget, the very amount it had spent on firearms-related research the year before

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Titty sprinkles. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagekyoto:
    Interesting factoid about the Aurora, CO shooter. There are 7 movie theaters within 20 minutes of his house. He chose the only one that bans concealed carry weapons. Hmm.... wonder why?

• imageIrishCoffee7:

imageCinemaGoddess:
    Titty sprinkles. 
    I love you.

ILY, too.

I was hoping titty sprinkles would end this thread the way it did the other thread. 

Sad panda. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageIrishCoffee7:

imageCinemaGoddess:
    Titty sprinkles. 
    I love you.

ILY, too.

I was hoping titty sprinkles would end this thread the way it did the other thread. 

Sad panda. 

Oops, sorry I harshed your gig. 

• Don't let it happen again or I will spam your FB with random quotes.

lolz. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imagetwatley:

imagekyoto:
    Interesting factoid about the Aurora, CO shooter. There are 7 movie theaters within 20 minutes of his house. He chose the only one that bans concealed carry weapons. Hmm.... wonder why?

lol. I'm sure he researched this before choosing that theater. 

Dude.

Because knowing a concealed carry is around is going to stop  A MUTHAFRACKIN CRAZY PERSON.  Yup.  Totes magotes. 

DID SOMEBODY SAY TITTY SPRINKLES?

• Grr - that pictures is very freaky and might have just ruined sprinkles for me.

I'm also team Heather and grrr, and really anyone else who thinks that we NEED to do something to try and stop this from ever happening again.  I am seriously shaken to the core by this massacre, and I have no personal tie to the event.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"