Parenting

47 guns.

That's how many this guy had when he made a threat about shooting up a school on Friday! His rights, his rights!

A Cedar Lake, Ind. man who police said had 47 guns and ammunition hidden in his home was arrested after threatening to set his wife on fire and "kill as many people as he could" at an elementary school near his home Friday, police said.

Early Friday morning, police were called to the home of Von I. Meyer, 60, in 9300 block of West 133rd Avenue, after it was reported that he threatened to set his wife on fire after she fell asleep, according to a statement from Cedar Lake police.

Meyer also said he was going to enter the Jane Ball Elementary School less than 1,000 feet from his home and "kill as many people as he could before police could stop him," the statement said.

Police notified school officials and security measures were taken at all local schools on Friday, the statement said.

Hidden in his 2story, "historic" home, authorities found 47 guns and ammunition with an estimated value of over 100,000, the statement said. Many of the guns seized during the search were collector's items, the statement said.

Saturday morning, formal charges were filed against Meyer, who police said is a known member of motorcycle gang, and a search warrant was issued.

That afternoon, West 133rd Avenue was closed while authorities entered Meyer's home, which is connected to the school by a series of trails and walking paths in a wooded area, and took custody of Meyer without incident.

He was charged with four counts of felony intimidation, one count of misdemeanor domestic battery, and two counts of misdemeanor resisting law enforcement, the statement said.

Meyer was taken to the Lake County, Ind., Jail where he was being held without bail pending an initial hearing. It was not immediately known when the hearing will be, police said Sunday.

Cedar Lake is about 45 miles south of Chicago near the IndianaIllinois state line.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 47 guns.

• He is also a gang member.

Those gun laws are really going to change his mind about breaking the law and owning firearms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRockyTopVols:
    He is also a gang member.

Those gun laws are really going to change his mind about breaking the law and owning firearms.
    they should not be meant to change his mind. They should be meant to prevent him from being the National Armory.
  • WTF!?

Does anyone else want to pack up their family and head to the Caribbean for a while? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    imageRockyTopVols:

they should not be meant to change his mind. They should be meant to prevent him from being the National Armory.

Yeah, because more laws will totally apply to someone gaining their guns illegally. 

And way to be a million times worse than the media with this crap.

Except that the mass killers have been obtaining their weapons legally. And I suppose shooting your mother in the face with her legally obtained gun would be an illegal acquisition of a gun; on the other hand, if Mom hadn't been allowed to stock an arsenal, he couldn't have obtained that one in the manner he did.
    Sorrry to offend you with posting the Chicago Tribune today.
  • imageKirksMcGirks:
    Um, holy eff but that is the elementary school I went to as a kid. WTF. WTF. WTF. How did I not hear about this?

Because no one actually died. 

• The world is ending in 5 days.  Let this *** start shooting at Satan and/or Kirk Cameron. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageCinemaGoddess:

The world is ending in 5 days.  Let this *** start shooting at Satan and/or Kirk Cameron. 

What if Satan IS Kirk Cameron?

Mindfluck. 

• imagenancy30005:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

The world is ending in 5 days.  Let this *** start shooting at Satan and/or Kirk Cameron. 

What if Satan IS Kirk Cameron?

Mindfluck. 

I would not be the least bit surprised. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHeather R:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    imageRockyTopVols:

Yeah, because more laws will totally apply to someone gaining their guns illegally. 

Except that the mass killers have been obtaining their weapons legally. And I suppose shooting your mother in the face with her legally obtained gun would be an illegal acquisition of a gun; on the other hand, if Mom hadn't been allowed to stock an arsenal, he couldn't have obtained that one in the manner he did.
    Sorrry to offend you with posting the Chicago Tribune today.

Really? 3-4 guns is an arsenal now? 

I guess we have a super mega arsenal. Sweet.

She had 6. And an individual doesn't need 6 guns to protect herself.
    And an arsenal is just defined as a place to store weaponry. Surely as a responsible gun owner, you know that.
  • imageLovesMM:

imageKirksMcGirks:
    Um, holy eff but that is the elementary school I went to as a kid. WTF. WTF. WTF. How did I not hear about this?

Because no one actually died. 

True that.  

There was a high schooler arrested in a town less than an hour away from us at 5 in the morning the day of the mass shooting in Connecticut because he was supposedly planning a "columbine type shooting".  I'm sure no one has heard about it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You know, speeders don't mind speed limits. We should probably abolish them. 

And drunk drivers don't pay attention to drunk driving laws.  Let's get rid of those too!

Hell, some parents don't put their kids in carseats.  Please make sure we don't do anything like requiring carseats to leave the hospital.

Also, WTF is this about watching how much fertilizer people buy?  Or limiting cough syrup purchases?

And on.

And on.

And on.

I'm so sick and tired of this conversation, which always ends up with gunnies clinging to their many weapons shrieking "My precious precious rights" while parents bury their cold dead children.

You need to admit something - this isn't about criminals being to obtain things illegally - this is about YOU choosing your guns over public safety and allowing shootings like Aurora or CT as collateral damage to your refusal to have even the most basic, reasonable gun laws on the books.  

• Good lord. Was there some pact from an online community to carry these out or something? Jesus.
  • No. Our country living like we are in goddamned Somalia is disgusting. What's disgusting is screaming firearm rights are nonnegotiable while sitting in the safety of your home enjoying the safe presence of your children.
  • No, I am not the decision maker. That is part of what I believe legislation should include.
    Your hysteria makes you sound like a nutter extremist.
  • I mean, really, people. One stupid f'ucker tries to light up his shoes, and every traveler now has to take his shoes off. 20 kindergartners die, and the response is "Keep on keeping"?
  • imagegrr_aargh:
    You know, speeders don't mind speed limits. We should probably abolish them.nbsp;And drunk drivers don't pay attention to drunk driving laws. nbsp;Let's get rid of those too!Hell, some parents don't put their kids in carseats. nbsp;Please make sure we don't do anything like requiring carseats to leave the hospital. Also, WTF is this about watching how much fertilizer people buy? nbsp;Or limiting cough syrup purchases? And on. And on. And on. I'm so sick and tired of this conversation, which always ends up with gunnies clinging to their many weapons shrieking "My precious precious rights" while parents bury their cold dead children. You need to admit something this isn't about criminals being to obtain things illegally this is about YOU choosing your guns over public safety and allowing shootings like Aurora or CT as collateral damage to your refusal to have even the most basic, reasonable gun laws on the books. nbsp;

Using your examples...

It is illegal to speed. People choose to break the law and it kills people.

It is illegal to drive drunk. People choose to break the law and it kills people.

It is illegal to improperly restrain your child in a vehicle. People choose to break the law and it kills people.

So if you make guns illegal... Now people will choose to abide by the law? Don't be so naive.

Making guns illegal isn't going to make this utopian society with no firearms.

I am all for stricter firearm control, implementing a national standard, and some kind of evaluation of potential owners.

But then again, I am trying to keep an open mind. It seems like some people, on both sides, don't want to. They are dead set against compromise and discussion.

It's their way or the high way and they use extreme imagery and hyperbole to try to prove their point.

Sad.

• imageMom2Oli:
    I think that's the problem Heather is pointing out, there is no limit. There is absolutely no reason a household needs that many guns. I didn't realize there were parts of this country where people were living Hunger Games' style.and yes, heather and I and you and this society as a whole needs to decide what that limit is, what's reasonable as far as gun ownership goes and stop referring to a constitutional amendment that might not hold entirely true or valid anymore.

How many people were squealing after the election about the electoral college and it being antiquated? Why are those same? people unwilling to revisit or review other possibly outdated establishments?
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHeather R:
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHeather R:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    imageRockyTopVols:
    He is also a gang member. Those gun laws are really going to change his mind about breaking the law and owning firearms.

Except that the mass killers have been obtaining their weapons legally. And I suppose shooting your mother in the face with her legally obtained gun would be an illegal acquisition of a gun; on the other hand, if Mom hadn't been allowed to stock an arsenal, he couldn't have obtained that one in the manner he did. Sorrry to offend you with posting the Chicago Tribune today.

Really? 3-4 guns is an arsenal now? 

I guess we have a super mega arsenal. Sweet.

She had 6. And an individual doesn't need 6 guns to protect herself. And an arsenal is just defined as a place to store weaponry. Surely as a responsible gun owner, you know that.

Oh, so you are the deciding factor on how many one can have. Good. So what's the number so I know how many we need to get rid of. I didn't realize there was a limit. One would think they would have warned us of that limit when we legally purchased and registered them.

Thank you. You just made our argument with this statement.

• imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    I mean, really, people. One stupid f'ucker tries to light up his shoes, and every traveler now has to take his shoes off. 20 kindergartners die, and the response is "Keep on keeping"?

Seriously- shut up. You are just going to keep looking like a bigger assbag if you keep talking.

I don't look like any assbag at all here. You have just lost your dayum mind. It is true that one incident impacted the entire travel system. Why should one incident not impact the entire gun industry? Why is this assbaggery to point out and question, ghost? Why are you so upset at my line of questioning? Please talk to me. I don't understand why you're acting this way.
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    No, I am not the decision maker. That is part of what I believe legislation should include.
    Your hysteria makes you sound like a nutter extremist.

Oh, heather. Because that bullshit was called for. 

calling me an assbag is ok, but calling you an extremist after you've been telling me to shut up and that I don't know anything is awful bullshits? Come on now.
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHeather R:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHeather R:
    I mean, really, people. One stupid f'ucker tries to light up his shoes, and every traveler now has to take his shoes off. 20 kindergartners die, and the response is "Keep on keeping"?

Seriously- shut up. You are just going to keep looking like a bigger assbag if you keep talking.

I don't look like any assbag at all here. You have just lost your dayum mind. It is true that one incident impacted the entire travel system. Why should one incident not impact the entire gun industry? Why is this assbaggery to point out and question, ghost? Why are you so upset at my line of questioning? Please talk to me. I don't understand why you're acting this way.

I am not remotely upset. Why are you freaking out over someone owning 6 guns?

47? I'll back you on that one, unless they are a known collector.

so you call people assbags and tell them to shut up when you're in neutral? :/ I'm not freaking out about 6 guns. I am questioning the necessity and wisdom of it. Why is that so invalid or stupid?
  • I don't care what you're opinion is, stop clogging the board with your agenda, Heather, it's fuckings annoying.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • imageashleysyn2:

Team Heather.

I'm always shocked at the "I love my guuunnnnsss!!" mentality that America has.  I don't know how some of you DON'T think something needs to change.

I'm so thankful to live where I live.

I don't think anyone is arguing that things don't need to change. It's just the kind of change that people are demanding. The banning of all guns isn't going do it. Should there be limitations on amount of fire arms, maybe. Should there be stricter policies to obtain guns, yes. Should there be better mental health care available to those who need it? FUCKYES. 

• HeatherR hasn't been here in for.ev.er.

I'd rather have her "clogging the board" (all three posts) with her agenda than have another invasion of the AEs. 

I also like it when GM and HeatherR are feisty in the same thread. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageCinemaGoddess:

HeatherR hasn't been here in for.ev.er.

I'd rather have her "clogging the board" (all three posts) with her agenda than have another invasion of the AEs. 

I also like it when GM and HeatherR are feisty in the same thread. 

Yes

• Cg, i can't quote you but thats exactly my point, she never posts but now here she is with her ranting. She could have added any of these comments to tge 18 threads about gun laws.
  • So what if she is here with her ranting?  Dude, it's three posts.  Three.  She's not posting 20 bajillion individual posts, twitter-style.  She hasn't been here and most of the other posts are dead.

Are you going to go after twatley now for doing the same damn thing on Friday?  She posted numerous times after the original posts.  New shootings and she would post about them.

Damn. 

Or maybe we should read more about potty training or MamaA's snooping in her dad's room and good friend skillz. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• But y u mad, tho?
  • I'm not the one all up in Heatherrr's post, being all grumpy n' shiit. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Actually, i think you are.
  • lolz.

Considering I've barely posted in this thread and I was here to defend the OP, I laugh in your face.

I will take your binky, GM.  My binky fiend hoards them and I can never find them so I keep buying them. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• No words.  Losing faith in people by the minute lately...
  • imageCinemaGoddess:
    lolz. Considering I've barely posted in this thread and I was here to defend the OP, I laugh in your face. I will take your binky, GM.nbsp; My binky fiend hoards them and I can never find them so I keep buying them.nbsp;
    i. I love you.
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

lolz.

Considering I've barely posted in this thread and I was here to defend the OP, I laugh in your face.

I will take your binky, GM.  My binky fiend hoards them and I can never find them so I keep buying them. 

I am convinced the binky troll steals them. I was sure I would find a couple dozen when I rearranged yesterday, but no luck. Clearly there is more at work than a toddler hiding them.

1.  Steal all the binkies

2, ?????

3.  PROFIT. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageJ+MS:
    imageCinemaGoddess:
    lolz. Considering I've barely posted in this thread and I was here to defend the OP, I laugh in your face. I will take your binky, GM.nbsp; My binky fiend hoards them and I can never find them so I keep buying them.nbsp;
    i. I love you.

<3

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Is it bad if i just choose not to potty train until she's 3?
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageJ+MS:
    Is it bad if i just choose not to potty train until she's 3?

I'm counting on day care to handle this for us. We don't pay them for nothing.

My stance as well. We started DC at a good time. Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"