Military Families

what items will the military movers NOT move?

Hi all. So I finally set up the move.. they are coming on the 11th of January (well thats the date I chose still waiting on the official email) to find out when the movers will actually come but hopefully it will be that day. I was wondering what items WON'T they move? I've heard alot of things like batteries, candles, opened food, any liquids, lotions, cleaning supplies and then i've also heard they will pack EVERYTHING even your bathroom and kitchen trash!! So I guess I'm just wondering what everyone elses experience was like. Also I'm moving while I'll be 34 weeks along and the movers wont be dropping stuff off until I'm 35 weeks along (and we are moving 22hours away without stops!!.. im TERRIFIED!!) Any advice for the drive as well as ways to keep myself from panicking because I certainly already am.. nesting is kicking in and I have nothing to nest! Also I was thinking of bringing the babys carseat and hospital bag in the car just incase.. good idea? Thanks in advance ladies and any tips are much appreciated :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what items will the military movers NOT move?

• It depends on your specific movers what they will and will not pack.  They should come do an inspection first to estimate how many boxes and packers will be needed, and then you can find out specifically what they won't move.  In our last move the only thing they wouldn't take were our propane tanks, perishable food, and living things (pets and plants), but they took everything else.  Other movers have not packed liquid cleaning supplies, lighters, alcohol, candles, etc.

If you are getting packed out at 34 weeks I would definitely bring the carseat and hospital bag.  No matter what they say about how long it will take, expect the worst.  Our last move took almost 3 weeks to get our stuff, and 4 weeks the one before that.  The driver's schedule constantly changes as they are given new pickups and deliveries along the way.  

Also, make sure everything you plan to take with you in the car is hidden in a bathroom or a closet and clearly instruct the packers not to take it.  Even better is to pack it in your car while they are there so they don't touch it.  Remember to put pet supplies in the pile, your purse, important papers, etc.  They will literally pack anything within their reach without question and you would be stuck buying a new one if it's important.  

• We have PCSed several times and each time has been different.  We have moved stuff before that was not allowed the next move.  It just depends on your specific moving company and the packers packing you out.

When they come to estimate your weight, they should give you a piece of paper listing the forbidden items.  

I highly recommend you designate a room as a no pack zone for anything you do not want boxed up.  A couple moves ago my husband had his cell phone on a windowsill and it was packed.  We had to unpack several boxes to find it.  When the packers get to your house, they are focused on packing your stuff as fast as possible. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not actually the movers who decide what they will and won't take, it's whether the movers adhere to the rules and regulations set forth within the contract they hold with the government. Anything that could cause damage or contamination within your shipment (and to others packed near/with yours) shouldn't be packed because then the moving company is responsible for said damage.  That is why it differs between movers or even between each move with the same company. Contracts are revised and so are the stipulations contained within. 

• I should have quoted the post above, but PP is right that sometimes movers will even pack things that the list says that they won't. I don't know where our drawer frull of batteries went, but I know DH and I didn't do anything with them.

The only things they left were the pantry (which dh told them not to bother with, otherwise I think they would have packed my flour, etc.), liquid baking supplies (cooking oil, etc), refrigerator food, and cleaning supplies. They packed bubble bath, lotion, soap, etc. that I didn't think they would.

Consistently, they have not packed cleaning supplies (and obviously the perishable stuff). If you end up with a bunch of cleaning supplies and have an Armed Services YMCA on your base, see if they will take your stuff. Ours took mine without even looking through it - said they use everything (laundry detergent, dish soap, household cleaners).

With the lotions, etc., you might want to go through that and decide what you'll still want to use after it's been packed up for a month. I went through all of ours a couple of weeks before the move and got rid of what I knew I wouldn't want.

Definitely empty your trash - sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't. One time, they packed my toilet brush...which was wet from cleaning the toilet. That was a lovely box to open.

Definitely take your car seat with you, and any other baby necessities and medical info. I got a copy of my lab reports from my first tri bloodwork to take with me to my first appt after we move - I've had some bad experiences with medical records not being transferred or accessible, even between military hospitals/clinics. (I've been to Army, Navy, and Air Force MTFs.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageanimalcrckr:

We have PCSed several times and each time has been different.  We have moved stuff before that was not allowed the next move.  It just depends on your specific moving company and the packers packing you out.

When they come to estimate your weight, they should give you a piece of paper listing the forbidden items.  

I highly recommend you designate a room as a no pack zone for anything you do not want boxed up.  A couple moves ago my husband had his cell phone on a windowsill and it was packed.  We had to unpack several boxes to find it.  When the packers get to your house, they are focused on packing your stuff as fast as possible. 

This. We always have a small room with all my dont touch stuff. Pet and baby supplies our clothes needed for the move, cleaning supplies personal laptops, expensive jewelry etc... We just mark it of with a big piece of paper that says do not enter, no pack stuff.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Exactly what the other ladies said. Be overly specific for the movers as to what TO PACK and what NOT TO PACK. Keep your suitcases and basic needs items take in the car with you locked in a bathroom. Prepare for long shipment delays, just in case bring newborn/hospital things with you, etc. You never know how long it will take to get your household goods actually delivered. And be around when they're packing not only to keep an eye on what's going on, but to stop the movers if they're doing dumb stuff packing up trash, live plants, etc. And remember... This to shall pass. Good luck! :
  • I would also suggest taking anything you can't replace for sentimental reasons in the car with you.  My first PCS the packers managed to destroy nearly every thing I'd saved from my wedding other than my dress and my wedding ring mysteriously disappeared from the ring box it had been stored in.  Box made it to the duty station, but the ring did not.  We were reimbursed monetarily, but somethings just aren't replaceable.  My second and third moves went off like clockwork and I could not praise the moving companies enough, so it just ended up being the luck of the draw the first time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It depends.

You will have a pre-pack walk through with the moving company.  At that time they will give you a list of all the things they will not move (along with many other moving tips).

We just PCSed last week.  Our company wouldn't move wax candles (even the scentsy no-wick kind), paint, aerosol, batteries, perishable food, and a handful of other things.

One the other hand, they surprised us because they WOULD move alcohol in opened containers (they just had to be duct taped closed).  The fact that they would move flammable liquids in non sealed containers was very strange to me (but made our lives easier).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• And fwiw, we moved all of our jewelry and our fire box (which contains birth certificates, SS cards, titles to cars, etc).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Thats what my husband and I did when the movers came.  Only way to guarantee the stuff we didn't want packed would stay.

As for what is allowed, as someone said earlier it depends on the company.  With mine, the only thing they did not allow was liquids.  Its a bit close to the date you mentioned.. Have you called the company over the phone and asked them?  Their contact number should be in the giant stack of paperwork they always seem to give out.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"