High-Risk Pregnancy

"Equivalent" of glucose drink

I thought I read somewhere that some people just eat a couple candy bars instead of having the glucose drink for the test. Or did I dream that? Anybody know anything about this?

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: "Equivalent" of glucose drink

• I think I've heard that if you have a really bad reaction to the drink the first time, there are labs that will let you try an equal amount of candy sugar instead, but I wouldn't take it upon myself to just not drink the drink. Its really not that bad (I had both the Lemon lime and the orange flavor) if you've ever had un gelled jello and drank it, or flat orange soda, then you've had the drink.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I've had the drink before- both the one and three hour drinks. At my appointment yesterday, my OB gave me the drink for the one hour test (a little early, but I had GD last time).

But, I'm inherently nosy and curious, and wondered about doing the test myself the day before I do the test at the doctor's office. I just wondered how accurate it would be.

I likely won't do it, I was just curious.

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• Loading the player...
  • I think my dietician told me the drink for the 3 hour test is 100g of carbs (the 1 hour test is half that) so you could eat something with 100g of carbs and no protein and try that if you wanted to test yourself at home first?

But I am not entirely sure. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I've heard that somewhere too but I don't know if it was true. I have also heard to try to eat as "normal" as possible in the few days leading up to your test. The last thing I'd want to do is load up on sugar the day before a glucose test.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
      Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read-in-2012 shelf)
  • I did the candy bar test.  It had to be 50g of sugar.  I chose a full size snickers bar and a 2 pack of reese pb cups  (together they added up to 51g i think).  I had no restrictions on my diet before the test.  i was jus told to eat these 45 minutes prior to my appt time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I read that some were critical of the drink because it wasn't a good representative of what would actually happen when you ate carbs and they recommended the 17 jelly bean test instead. They said it was more diagnostic, but had not caught on.  I can pass the jellybean test at home, but not the glucose test at the office, and I never have problems controlling by blood sugar and wonder if I am really g.d.  So I'd say stick to kool-aid or something if you want to mimic the test.
  • Theoretically it should work the same if you choose something that's not high in protein. I definitely wouldn't do it the day before having the "real" test though. If you've had GD before you know that one day of indulgence can really take a couple of days to correct :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I probably won't do anything, I'll just wait and do the 1 hour test. I was just curious.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

• imageAmandaAndTj:
    I think I've heard that somewhere too but I don't know if it was true. I have also heard to try to eat as "normal" as possible in the few days leading up to your test. The last thing I'd want to do is load up on sugar the day before a glucose test.

This is true for the 1 hour, but not for the 3 hour. For that one, they have you "carb load' for 3 days prior.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMomma2Michelle:

imageAmandaAndTj:
    I think I've heard that somewhere too but I don't know if it was true. I have also heard to try to eat as "normal" as possible in the few days leading up to your test. The last thing I'd want to do is load up on sugar the day before a glucose test.

This is true for the 1 hour, but not for the 3 hour. For that one, they have you "carb load' for 3 days prior.

Hmm I've taken it multiple times and was never told to carb load for it. Funny how every dr suggests different guidelines. I'll ask about this for my next one though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read-in-2012 shelf)
  • imageAmandaAndTj:
    imageMomma2Michelle:

imageAmandaAndTj:

Hmm I've taken it multiple times and was never told to carb load for it. Funny how every dr suggests different guidelines. I'll ask about this for my next one though.

It is weird, I hate that they all have different guidelines, because that I'm SURE that's the reason I failed the stupid test, because of the carb loading. I've had the diagnosis for 8 weeks and never had a high sugar, no matter what I eat. So frustrating :(

• imageMomma2Michelle:
    imageAmandaAndTj:
    imageMomma2Michelle:

imageAmandaAndTj:

It is weird, I hate that they all have different guidelines, because that I'm SURE that's the reason I failed the stupid test, because of the carb loading. I've had the diagnosis for 8 weeks and never had a high sugar, no matter what I eat. So frustrating :(

I got a very specific carb-loading diet to use 3 days in advance.  It was more than I usually eat in addition to more carbs.  Toast, plus cereral, plus OJ, etc.   I failed by just a bit, and I wondered what the effect was, but no option for trying again was possible...  I also was severely dehydrated, but no mention of the effects of that.  I was also just coming off bed-red, and they said that didn't affect things, but I read in a text book that it did.  Who knows? 

• Yes, that's what I had as well. It was a specific diet. I also had severe vomiting the morning of the test and I'd wondered if that had some effect.
  • Candy bars will not work exactly the same way because the fat and protein in them will slow the absorption of the sugar.  However, candy bars will be more true to life.  We don't often down 50 grams of sugar without any starch, fat or protein added in.
  • imagebeckajw:
    Candy bars will not work exactly the same way because the fat and protein in them will slow the absorption of the sugar.  However, candy bars will be more true to life.  We don't often down 50 grams of sugar without any starch, fat or protein added in.

Good point!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"