December 2010 Moms
Options

I parented someone else's kids...

And I don't feel the least bit bad about it!

This mother brought her three kids - maybe 3, 5, and 7, into the pedi yesterday while I was there.  She spent an extensive amount of time at the check-in desk doing paperwork and totally ignored her kids.  This gave the 5 and 7-year-olds free reign to pound repeatedly on the fish tank and scream at the fish (it was mainly the older boy).  Everyone in the waiting room was clearly irritated, and I was sitting right by them, and mom was far away and totally oblivious.  I told them once to stop which they did for a moment, but they started right back.  I then put on my sternest mommy voice and said "Young man, I'm going to need for you to go stand by your mother."  His mom then snapped to attention, realized her kids were being hooligans, thanked me, and made them line up against the wall.  A few people in the office snickered too.  When the nurse called C and I, the oldest boy had the guts to grab my leg when I walked by while I was holding my kid!  

I normally just ignore when other kids mis-behave b/c C is very active and can be loud sometimes (and they're not my kids).  This was horrible though and I HATE when parents don't even try to correct their kids.  

Has anyone else had to get on to other kids before? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I parented someone else's kids...

• Options

I think you handled the situation well. You were respectful and firm without being a *** about it.

I have definitely stepped in and dealt with other peoples kids before. I think working in a DC I'm so used to it that I have to make myself step back sometimes and remember I'm not at work, ya know?

imageimage
  • Options

Good for you!  Sounds like you said the right thing.  :)  I am always hesitant to say something in those situations because I can't figure out a way to say it that won't piss off the kids parent. :/  

What did you do when he grabbed your leg??  Kids that are THAT audacious make me worried about what kind of adult they are going to be.  

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you handled it appropriately, too! And, it sounds like mom was grateful. Good job!

I once took a risk in a grocery store line. There was a three-year old who would NOT put candy back in the check-out aisle, and her mother kept trying to take it from her, and the girl was screaammmming and putting up the biggest fit about the candy. So I leaned in, looked her in the eyes, and said, "Excuse me, that's my candy. Can I have it back please? Your mom wants to make sure you aren't taking something that's not yours."  She got all wide-eyed, handed me the candy, and buried her head in her mom's leg. Haha. Mom just looked at me and mouthed, "thank you!" before turning and checking out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Halo - I didn't know what to do really and since the nurse was already taking us back, I just yanked my leg away.  But yes, what a naughty little kid already!  I do worry what he'll be like later.

Nicole - That's awesome and brilliant of you! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I havent corrected someone - yet -, but I have been corrected myself and I almost tore his face of! On guy in my class were downloading some software at my place (because his internet was down), and he had allready paid for it so I said ok because he said it would only take max 1 hour (yeah sure - ended up being almost 3). First of all he SCARED Jacob, so that he did not dare to be near him (that should have been my first clue to kick him out), anyway I figured 45 mins would go faster with the TV on. Jacob wandered from my lap to the TV like a bazillion times and I kept correcting him to not be so close to the screen and to sit on his Telly-pillow (dumb - yes - but it mostly works). At the 103rd time I was so irritated by my class"mate" that I did not tell Jacob to sit down. So my class"mate" turns to me and say "Why don't you tell Jacob to get away from the screen?" I'm here paralysed and just stare at him. He then continues "That is *totally* not good for him, it could hurt him" In a "you're a bad parent"-tone. The guy is 19 and dont have any siblings, you familymembers, children or other childrelated experience! Who is he to correct me!?!?!!

I do not think that we Momma's are like that - but it was more of a "WOW, can you believe the nervs of some people?!?"

<3 Cathrine 24 from Norway - Mommy and Married <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options

I do it all the time, but usually before I can stop myself.  I just constantly have on my teacher eyes/ears/voice.  :)  I've told kids to get out of the open freezers at Walmart, tell parents they are sorry, stand by their parents, stop saying bad words at the park, etc.  I even do the "turn around" sign from my car to kids on the school bus in front of me.  They always get that look of shock and turn right around!  :)   When my kid was screaming in the store the other day, I was totally grateful for the older woman who stopped to talk to him, basically shocking him into shutting up. :)  I think if we lived like people did in the 50s where the entire neighborhood of adults was likely to spank you or drag you by your ear to your parents, children wouldn't act the way a lot of them do now.  That, and you know, if the daycare was able to put my 2 year old in time out and use the word no.  Sigh.  The weird thing is that kids have some sort of built in "teacher finder".  I have little kids ask me at restaurants to refill their cups, tie their shoes, show me how they can count money in check out lines, and come up to me on the park playground to tell me someone called them a name/hit them/whatever.  It's like I'm on permanant playground duty!  My husband thinks it's nuts and always seems shocked when tiny strangers seek me out.  LOL  I guess I just look like the lady that helps them all day long. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh yeah, we have a nice playground near our house and one side is supposed to be for the under 5 set but of course the older kids wander over, I have no problem telling them to tone it down when they are getting to rough for that side of the playground.

We also were there one evening and some teens were on the swings and dropped a few F bombs, I turned around and told them to watch their language and shockingly they did. 

The way I grew up we listened to all parents in the neighborhood and nobody would bat an eyelash at another parent reprimanding (respectfully) a neighborhood kid. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• Options

Good for you! I have no shame in parenting other people's kids. The way I see it is: if they have a problem with me doing it, then they should have been doing it themselves.

I've done it at playgrounds mostly, but also in the grocery store, library, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"