October 2011 Moms

Need food suggestions.

I teach, and every year my mailbox is filled with small gifts from all the teachers. For the past few years, I buy something small and give to all of the teachers. It's expensive and I'm running out of ideas, so this year, I want to do something different. Everyone loves when food is brought to the teachers' lounge, so I need some suggestions on what to bring. I was going to make homemade cinnamon rolls, but after reading some of the recipes, I would rather do something slightly easier. What would you love for someone to bring to your workplace?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Need food suggestions.

• When I worked at my old office I would make things like hot cocoa mix, granola or some such thing.  I packaged up little single servings, tied it with a ribbon and threw it into a big basket.  It always went over well because folks could have it then or take it home.  It was super easy to just make a big batch of something and scoop it into little bags, tie w/a ribbon and done :-) 

**The cocoa was always the biggest hit, and was super cheap & easy.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSuperDeDuper:

Hey, remember that one time I suggested brownies?  Wink

You could do this:

to make them look festive.  Plus the candy cane doubles as a handle and then you get to eat it.  Win-win.

And now I know what I'm bringing Christmas Eve to my moms. 

• Loading the player...
  • Spicy, would love those recipes. Super, those brownies look tasty. I was thinking something for breakfast, then something to snack on during lunch, so your suggestions are perfect.
  • My great grandma's molasses cookies. They are soft, delicious, and Christmas-y. I've made them dozens of times for lots of people and never met anyone who didn't like them.  Here's the recipe in case you're interested...

Grandma Marian's Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:

4 T. dark molasses

2 t. baking soda

3/4 C. shortening

1 C. sugar

1 egg

2 1/4 C. flour

1 t. cinnamon

1 t. ground ginger

1 t. ground cloves

Pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix baking soda with molasses. Cream molasses together with shortening, sugar, and egg. Mix together remaining ingredients and blend into sugar mixture. Roll dough into small balls and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until the tops of the cookies begin to crack. Important: Don't overcook! Remove cookies from the oven; allow to sit on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Now, I have to decide what to do between all of these suggestions!
  • imageSpicy15:

Blueberry Muffins:

2 cups of flour

1/2 cup of sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

1/3 cup oil

1 egg, beaten

1 cup of blueberries fresh or frozen (if frozen do not thaw)

Heat oven to 400F. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, blueberries, and salt; mix well. In a small bowl, combine milk, oil and egg; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (batter will be lumpy) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake at 40F for 20 to 25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool 1 minute before removing from pan. 

Sticky Buns:

Topping:

1/4 cup butter/margarine, melted

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Coating:

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Buns:

1 (10oz ) can refrigerated flaky biscuits

Heat oven to 375F. Grease 12 muffin cups. In small bowl, comine all topping ingredients; mix well. Spoon scant tablespoon topping into each greased muffin cup.

In medium bowl, combine coating ingredients; mix well.  Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 6 pieces. Toss pieces in coating mixture. Place 5 coated pieces of dough into each greased muffin cup. Place pan on cookie sheet to guard against spills.

Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 1 minute; Invert onto wax paper.

Sorry it took so long!

You're awesome. I just got online again. This has been a depressing day with all that went on.

• imagecantalopes24:
    imageSuperDeDuper:

Hey, remember that one time I suggested brownies?  Wink

You could do this:

to make them look festive.  Plus the candy cane doubles as a handle and then you get to eat it.  Win-win.

And now I know what I'm bringing Christmas Eve to my moms. 

Me, too!  MIL often asks me to bring my brownies to family gatherings; I'll make them extra-festive for Christmas!

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"