Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

can you reuse a sippy cup of milk

i try to fill the sippy cup cause my 1 yo drinks more easily the more full it is -- but if he only drinks a quarter, can i save that milk for the next day in the fridge? or is it like formula/food and i need to get rid of it? thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: can you reuse a sippy cup of milk

• Options
    We personally save it, getting it into the fridge asap and then using it first thing. But I also used to save some foods, after all we eat leftovers ourselves and pouches (usually, I think) say to discard after 3 days...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejesusita2002:
    We personally save it, getting it into the fridge asap and then using it first thing. But I also used to save some foods, after all we eat leftovers ourselves and pouches (usually, I think) say to discard after 3 days...

This

Rylan 1/27/2011, 2:42 pm, 5lbs 12oz, 18.5 inches long
     Ayla 10/02/2013, 10:14 am, 6lbs 14oz, 19.25 inches long
    Missed Miscarriage 6w3d 3/02/2010
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I save it.  Each morning DS gets his cup from the day/night before which usually has a few ounces in it still.  He drinks that milk at breakfast and when it's gone, I fill a new, clean cup...that's what he'll use until the next morning, etc.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options

imageAimeeL85:
    I save it.  Each morning DS gets his cup from the day/night before which usually has a few ounces in it still.  He drinks that milk at breakfast and when it's gone, I fill a new, clean cup...that's what he'll use until the next morning, etc.

We do this exact thing.

• Options
    We save it. Not for more than 24 hours though but typically by then N has guzzled it anyhow. You can always use it to make scrambled eggs or something like that if you're concerned about wasting it. I've done that a time or two :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It is like anything else...if it is contaminated no you can not use it.  It gets contaminated by using the sippy cup and the child's spit going into it, so maybe he wont get sick now but there might be a day that he does.  I say no on things like that.

Same thing with leftovers one you put your fork back into food after eating from it bacteria starts to grow even in the refrigerator so technically you should not eat that food again.

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

imagejesusita2002:

We do this.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I think tossing out an almost full cup of milk is a huge waste. We save it and make sure it's used within 24 hours.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I save it all day and usually just dump and wash it after dinner each day.  Sometimes she'll drink the whole cup at a meal, want more, then only take 2 or 3 sips, so I'm not going to dump the rest of the cup I just poured!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    imagerosesandpeonies:

It is like anything else...if it is contaminated no you can not use it.  It gets contaminated by using the sippy cup and the child's spit going into it, so maybe he wont get sick now but there might be a day that he does.  I say no on things like that.

Same thing with leftovers one you put your fork back into food after eating from it bacteria starts to grow even in the refrigerator so technically you should not eat that food again.

Technically this is true. Hardly any one actually does this. We do with food that LO has been eating out of. I was reading somewhere that parents would be horrified if we knew exactly how germ infested our kids sippy cups are because they are not properly washed between each use. 

• Options
    imageNwlywed07:
    imagerosesandpeonies:

Technically this is true. Hardly any one actually does this. We do with food that LO has been eating out of. I was reading somewhere that parents would be horrified if we knew exactly how germ infested our kids sippy cups are because they are not properly washed between each use. 

Exactly.  I was just giving the technical answer :)  I grew up with a father that was a Dr. and worked for the Health Department so we actually rarely had leftovers we ate out of, etc.  we would have them if they weren't already touched. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options
    If I reuse it, I make sure to change the spout.  I figure that helps a little!  But I do make sure he drinks it within 24 hours.
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:
    imagerosesandpeonies:

I'm  surprised we'll all alive in my house.  We eat leftovers out of the containers for days and keep milk in his cup until he finishes it.  And we all share cups, silverware, etc.  No ones' gotten sick yet....

Same here! I guess we're just building up super healthy immune systems? heh ;) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"