Indiana Babies

Overzealous friend- baby shower

I need some advice:

First of all my best friend wants to throw me a shower and I couldn't be more grateful. But, here's the thing, I hate a lot of the ideas she has come up. Some of them are downright tacky. How do I let her know? Or should I just let her do it and be glad that she's planning anything at all?

Second, I want men to be able to come AND have fun. Any ideas???

Third and lastly, my sister-in-law had a shower a few months ago and invited everyone via facebook and a TON of people rsvp'd but a TON of people didn't show up and there was way too much food and it was kind of dull in my opinion. I am sending invites through the mail, but how can I say please only rsvp if you actually intend to come. It will be catered so it would be a problem if they didn't show.

Thanks so much for any insight :)

Re: Overzealous friend- baby shower

• imageaginger:

I need some advice:

Third and lastly, my sister-in-law had a shower a few months ago and invited everyone via facebook and a TON of people rsvp'd but a TON of people didn't show up and there was way too much food and it was kind of dull in my opinion. I am sending invites through the mail, but how can I say please only rsvp if you actually intend to come. It will be catered so it would be a problem if they didn't show.

Thanks so much for any insight :)

To me...if I have to call or e-mail someone to RSVP, I fully intend to come.  When it comes to facebook invites, I absolutely hate them.  They are not personal and it's so much easier for someone to say they're attending.  I don't think there's a polite way to say to only rsvp if you actually intend to come.  That's the point of an RSVP - they intend to come.  Grant somethings do come up at the last minute, and people may not be able to attend.

DH: 34  
    Aug 2013 - SA: Counts & Motility = great, Morph = 1%; RE didn't seem too concerned

Me: 26
    Jan. 2014 - Blood work ordered by obgyn:  Prolactin = high & AMH = low (0.73)
    Feb. 6, 2014 - Repeat blood work ordered by obgyn:  Prolactin = normal & AMH = low (0.9)
    Feb.  20, 2014 - First appointment with RE
    Feb. 24, 2014 - HSG scheduled;  DX:  one tube definitely open & one tube could be blocked
    Mar. 7, 2014 - CD 21 Blood work for Progesterone; DX:  Progesterone level at 5.2; shows I ovulated but was low
    Mar. 28, 2014 - Laparoscopy; DX:  Tubes open.  Found some endometriosis and had that removed.

History:
    Started TTC:  June 2012
    June 2012 - March 2013:  When it Happens/it happens method = BFN
    March 2013:  Started using Fertility Friend
    Cycles 1 - 15 with Fertility Friend = BFN
    Cycle 16 - Benched due to Laparoscopy
    Cycle 17 - Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 18 - Natural Cycle = BFN
    Cycle 19 - Natural Cycle = BFN

Current Cycle:
    Cycle 20 = Natural Cycle

• The subject of co-ed baby showers has been brought up on the dad's board and the consensus of the men there seems to be, if the shower is to be held during football season, there has to be a TV showing the game available.  If it isn't set up to show the game, someone will turn it on and the men will wind up congregating there (it happened at a cousin's birthday and the guys got in trouble).  You can ask that the game gets turned off for gifts, but for the social section... the game is a key.  Also had someone mention they went to a shower where there was a poker game for the guys... the buy-in was a pack of diapers.

As far as your sister-in-law's shower... it happens.  In terms of RSVPs, you may want a response from the people who can't/aren't coming too.

With your best friend... I'm a guy, so I'm probably going to approach this from an entirely different perspective and it may very well not work, but I would ask her how it is going and when she hits something that you don't particularly care for, maybe offer an alternative or maybe a way to tweak it so it isn't quite as bad.  I mean she's the one throwing it, but it will reflect upon you, as they'll always remember it as your shower, not the shower your best friend threw for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"